Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I ask if there are any Suse users out there because of the distro's I used so far (Redhat 5 through 9, Mandrake 9.1 and Suse 8.2) Suse was the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    flw
    Linux Engineer

Any Suse users out there?

I ask if there are any Suse users out there because of the distro's I used so far (Redhat 5 through 9, Mandrake 9.1 and Suse 8.2) Suse was the most multimedia friendly out of the box. Yet install support is non-existant. I emailed my request with the reg info they insisted on, waited 3 business days, then recieved a generic response on how they don't offer installation support for the hardware I have.

At first I thought I found a new user friendly linux distro, which I did, but also found no customer support for a product that offered it and I paid for. I burned my own copies of RH and Mandrake for just a few bucks.

I think its too bad they took a good product and hosed it up with no follow through for the customer. From what I've read the new version of Suse 9.0 should really be 8.3, its better but not that much.

Any other opinions on Suse the product or support ? I don't see my self changing distro's again until a time tested distro with the 2.6 kernel (production version) is released.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

i use suse and the big thing that pissed me off is installing things from source. it really has a hard time with this. cause i tryed to install the new version of gaim and even the im from kde but it came up wiht dependencies, no problem right jst go and find them and install them first. well i did that but after i had all the stuff that i supposedly need to install the new gaim, it would say that all the stuff i jst got done installing so i could install gaim wasnt there and this really pissed me off. i worked on this for almost a week trying to figure out what was wrong and then jst gave up and now i have been in windows for about 2 weeks cause i was so pissed. i have been able to install that version of gaim on slack and redhat but it jst wouldnt install on suse i couldnt figure it out. but i am thinking about changing to slack 9.1 cause from the little bit of use i have gotten out of it on my server i seem to like it. hopefully i wont get that damn double letter thing again this time.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

When I used Suse 6.4 I had some problmes with ISDN. The SUSE people where really nice to me and helped me, even thought I didnt have a valid license, but I was calling from Norway to Germany So they really should have helped me anyways because I was paying bloodprice on that phone call.

They also gave me something similar to "We don't offer support on that hardware" So you're not the only one out there flw

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

I'm so happy !!!!

I decided to go over to linux because I am getting fed up with M$ taking away control of windows from the user.

Sooooooooooooooooooo

I bought SuSE 8.1 Personal,

I had probs installing, due mainly to my board having UDMA 66, but I got over that, but I did register my SuSE and asfter about five days I emailed for support. They gave me some help, but pointed out that my support had expired........It was supposed to be 60 days!!!!!!

I've tried to install a couple of small progs, one being TuxPaint from a Linux Format mag cd . I still haven't managed that, and have tried BASH commands (tarballs) and RPMS.

Also several progs that were installed with the OS installation either don't work properly or hang the system. And I mean hang !! Nothing works, not even the vulcan death grip.

The thing is that I do like the idea behind linux, and would really love to get rid of M$ altogether, but all I read indicates that there is really no user friendly distro out there yet. So Billy G wins, unless someone comes up with a linux distro that installs the most common dependencies, or prog writers include them in their installations.
    Or at least make it simpler to track them down and install them.

Now that whinge is off my chest I'll have to sort out my problems and come back here and ask for help I suppose. LOL

Linux Engineer
    I shall be installing Suse 9.0 when I get my grubbies on it. Mainly cos it says it can resize ntfs without trashing it. Worth it just to get my hands on the disc space.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Chris I'd be carefully changing or upgrading based solely based on the marketing hype. It's sappose to include a "test" version of the 2.6 kernel but gives no hard details on what aspects of 2.6 they intend to include as one example of the 9.0 hype.

As I mentioned earlier, they make a decent distro but fall way short in most other aspects of what makes a good product. The worst part is your paying for it ( or borrowing a copy ).
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

if you are goin to try 9 i would download it and try it that way atleast your not paying for it that way. unless they are changing there ways and not letting you download it. but i would try that first
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

flw
    Linux Engineer
    My understanding and by what I could ever find on their site is there is only one free method for Suse which is a network install. No image files like with other distro's.
    Dan

Just Joined!

yeah man im here

hey guys i got a pentuim 2 266mhz running httpd sshd and ftpd lol but its funny cause i dont know how to run ANY of those server. anyways yeah im working on it. SuSE 7.2 is out of date now so i cant find aNY servers taht still have the updates for it so that sucks. but yeah this computer im running SuSE on right now is fine too. all i want is to learn more linux commands and everything so i can use gentoo or soemthing. i just want to have a escape route in case something goes wrong in my install hehe. yeah heres a list of things that never worked for me in linux:

gaim
    gtk-gnutella (it crashes suddenly)
    wine (with ANY windows program that i installed)
    xmms (with certain mp3s)
    xine with dvds
    and kde 3.1.3 update

i want to stay on top of the ball but it kinda depresses me how none of the best programs for linux work on this system even though its all up to date

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by flw
    Chris I'd be carefully changing or upgrading based solely based on the marketing hype. It's sappose to include a "test" version of the 2.6 kernel but gives no hard details on what aspects of 2.6 they intend to include as one example of the 9.0 hype.

As I mentioned earlier, they make a decent distro but fall way short in most other aspects of what makes a good product. The worst part is your paying for it ( or borrowing a copy ).
    2.6 kernel is an option on install I believe. Otherwise it just uses the current kernel.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast