Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

*blink* Microsoft=open source?

http://conferences.oreillynet.com/eurooscon/

Look at the sponsors on the right.

A "wtf" moment indeed....

Anyone care to (or know how to) explain?

I think that either somebody has done an utterly perfect sales job in selling the opportunity to sponsor this event to Microsoft (I be they cut their 'sales' teeth selling snow to the eskimos) or Microsoft have some warped ideas about 'shaping and guiding' the community by being there. I suppose there is a slim chance that they could want to start working with open source development models and community developers... hmmm... maybe not.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    "Sponsoring" means one thing in the corporate world: money. Microsoft has more money than some small to medium-sized nations in the world, so the fact that they threw some money at any project shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

"Sponsorship != endorsement != acceptance"

Nothing to see here. Move along.
    Registered Linux user #270181

*creates a sick scene from imagination

Bill gates decides to hold a major conference. The crowd murmurs in anticipation.

Bill Gates: "I have an announcement to make. Excuse Me. Attention Please."

The crowd goes completely silent.

Bill Gates: "In response to recent competition from open source operating systems, Microsoft Windows will now be converted to open source."

There are lots of gapped mouths and some audible gasps can be heard from the crowd.

Bill Gates gazes at crowd for a moment then grabs his stomach and starts giggling uncontrollably.

Bill Gates: "Oh. Oh, I'm too much"

Bill Gates wipes a tear from his eyes.

Bill Gates: "You guys really should see the look on your faces."

*creates an even sicker scene

Bill Gates: "I would like to introduce you all to my new friend."

Linus Torvalds steps out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You guys don't even want to know the rest of this one.

Quote Originally Posted by jerlark386
    *creates an even sicker scene

Bill Gates: "I would like to introduce you all to my new friend."

Linus Torvalds steps out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You guys don't even want to know the rest of this one.
    now I'm gonna have nightmares. Damn Gates still getting to me through messed up scenarios involving him.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSNightmarE
    now I'm gonna have nightmares. Damn Gates still getting to me through messed up scenarios involving him.
    Lol! Now lets make those nightmares recurring.

Interviewer:"So what was the final straw? What made you join Microsoft?"

Linus: "I was working on this patch,which would later turn out to be the LAST piece of code I would ever contribute to the kernel, when I had an epiphany."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I know. I know. I'm evil.

Linux Newbie
    If there are any www.ubersoft.net fans here, they'll fully understand me saying:
    *WHIMPER*

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll go to a secluded place and scream like a little girly...
    You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.

Linus: "You know, I never started this project intending to face off against software giants like Microsoft. It was just a hobby. It quickly dawned on me,however, the momentum of it all. We were going to new places with this project. Exciting places. "

Linus: "Unfortunately, our project started to fall apart in late 2005. It is a sad story to tell..."
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Oooooh. I love telling scary stories. Heh he.