Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I was curious if anyone had tried Fedora yet and any impressions. If you want a ISO of it see http://fedora.redhat.com/download/ Any early Fedora reviews from people that are using ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    flw
    Linux Engineer

Any Fedora users yet?

I was curious if anyone had tried Fedora yet and any impressions. If you want a ISO of it see http://fedora.redhat.com/download/

Any early Fedora reviews from people that are using it or trying to?
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Just Joined!
    I'm using it. I had installed rehat 9 just a few days earlier before I had heard the news. Now I've got fedora running and I havn't noticed too much of a difference. Interface looks a tad more polished. I havn't had any problems yet but then again I'm brand spankin' new to linux so I havn't really tried out too much of anything either.

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Did you have any hardware that gave you problems in RH9 but worked better with Fedora?

Also when you ran the install did you have the options of common services and apps like ftp, telnet, ssh, KDE, Gnome, Apache, mysql, gimp, perl, c or other programming options?
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    flw
    Linux Engineer
    I pulled this post up to see if anyone has tried Fedora yet or not? If so how would you review it compared to RH 9 or what ever other distro you were using?
    Dan

just upgraded my Redhat 9.0 (Gnome only) to Fedora Core1.

The installation/upgrade process reminds me a lot of the Redhat one (no surprise there). The main difference is that the predominant colour is blue, rather than red.

I simply booted from CD 1 and followed the prompts . It detected my Redhat 9.0 and asked if I wanted to do an upgrade (which I did).

The upgrade took just shy of 2 hours, which is about how long Redhat took on my poor little PC (size isn't everything ).

The two things that it didn't cope with were :-

1) The NVIDIA module for my RIVA card. X failed to start, and then the re-config program cut in and put me back to using the "nv" module as opposed to the nvidia module.

Getting the NVIDIA module back was easy. I did the following :-
    a) telinit 3 - to shut down X
    b) as root , "export CC=gcc32"
    c) as root , "sh NVIDIA.....pkg2.run"
    this then compiled a new NVIDIA module
    d) edited /etc/X11/XF86Config with the module being "nvidia" rather than "nv" and making sure tha the "dri" or "GLX" modules were not loaded.
    e)telinit 5 - to start up X again, now using the nvidia module

2) The usual problem with my winmodem. My friends in Germany haven't gotten around to doing an RPM for this kernel. So I tried recompiling one, and this failed with some compilation errors. Will keep you posted.

Fedora Core 1 gives 2.4.22 kernel with Gnome 2.4.0, at the moment I see little or no difference in the performance, compared to Redhat 9. Will keep you posted about anything I bump into.

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Just Joined!
    I've been using Red Hat since version 5.2 and have seen it progress... until Fedora. It's pretty clear to me that Fedora is little more than Red Hat 9 with a new name and a few package upgrades. In fact, Red Hat 8, 9 and Fedora are almost identical. It's not the big improvement that 7.0 was over 6.x.

So, if you're already running Red Hat 8 or 9 there's not much point in taking time to upgrade to Fedora.

I'd suggest trying Debian or Slackware (have you seen Dropline Gnome?!). I've moved to Debian and have finally rid myself of the continuous Red Hat upgrade cycle of Install-Work-Format-Install-Work-Format because of their buggy upgrade install option. It's stupid to have to do a distro upgrade or a few new packages.

Just Joined!
    Hi everyone,

This is my first post here.

I'm using Fedora, is good, but as said before is very simmilar to Redhat 8 and 9.

I like it. Gnome 2.4 is faster. And you can get almost every package you may need from http://www.freshrpms.net

Also, my 3 1/2 floppy drive never worked before, but now with fedora It works perfect.

Give it a try, is a good OS, but I still prefer Gentoo.

See you all

Just Joined!

laptop

HI!
    Do you think maybe fedora will work better on laptop that redhat 9.0
    maybe it has more supported drivers or something like that?

Any one try fedora on a laptop?

/Morris

Re: laptop

Quote Originally Posted by morris
    HI!
    Do you think maybe fedora will work better on laptop that redhat 9.0
    maybe it has more supported drivers or something like that?

Any one try fedora on a laptop?

/Morris
    Just get the latest 2.6.x kernel that should do.

Just Joined!
    Hi all,

Iv'e been using Fedora on my laptop for a few days now, and cannot get my internet connection to work. First i installed it on my laptop (no upgrade from rh9) and checked my network device and it was activ. Then I thougt that there might be som problems with the device (PCMCIA) and tried with an other brand (3com). Still no luck. So I tried to install Fedora on my workstation that previously had RH9 installed and working, but the same problem occured - I've tried evereything thats in my knowledge (not much though...) to get it to work, without success. Finally, I installed RH9 on my laptop and now internet is running without any interference från my side!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast