Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Your setup looks nice. 2 things I would take a look at: 1. On my brothers computer, his mobo required a 24-pin power connector (ASUS A8N-E nForce4 Ultra board). The ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Your setup looks nice. 2 things I would take a look at:
    1. On my brothers computer, his mobo required a 24-pin power connector (ASUS A8N-E nForce4 Ultra board). The system will work with the standard 20-pin connector, but if you are going to connect up a lot of peripherials to it, I would definately recommend that you try and get your hands on a power supply with 24-pin connector (that is if your mobo supports it).

2. See if you can get the newer SATA2 based WD1600-JS drive, advantage is that you get 300MB/s data transfer as opposed to 150MB/s. It works perfectly in linux, and for my brother the price difference was only like AU$15 ~ 5 pounds. Drive cost him only AU$145 ~ 50 pounds.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexK
    Your setup looks nice. 2 things I would take a look at:
    1. On my brothers computer, his mobo required a 24-pin power connector (ASUS A8N-E nForce4 Ultra board). The system will work with the standard 20-pin connector, but if you are going to connect up a lot of peripherials to it, I would definately recommend that you try and get your hands on a power supply with 24-pin connector (that is if your mobo supports it).

2. See if you can get the newer SATA2 based WD1600-JS drive, advantage is that you get 300MB/s data transfer as opposed to 150MB/s. It works perfectly in linux, and for my brother the price difference was only like AU$15 ~ 5 pounds. Drive cost him only AU$145 ~ 50 pounds.
    1. 24-pin main power connector with detachable 4-pin section for universal motherboard compatibility --> This tends to imply I'll be fine.

2. That will cost £25 extra for an extra 40GB, I'm unsure as to whether or not it's worth it, I'll think about it further, thanks for the recommendation.

About the floppy drive, although I doubt I'll use it much I think it's a safety purchase, if I need the £3 elsewhere I'll spend it on that instead.

Re: What do you think of this computer setup?

Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff
    Of all the computers I've built or bought over the last 2 years, none has had a floppy disk in it. If you're using SATA, then you dont want a floppy disk ribbon cable inside the case disrupting the air flow across your cpu.
    Au contraire, I would recommend you *do* have a floppy drive handy if you use SATA, simply because some motherboards still ship with their SATA drivers on floppy, and if you ever need to install MS Windows XP (gasp!) you won't be able to install it on a SATA harddrive unless you have a driver floppy. I think it's a good investment, personally.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexK

Tom's hardware guide states that's impossible (for now) to have a 300MB/s transfer rate ... ... the speed is theoretical .... nothing more .. nothing less..

I can't find the article I had in mind but this one shows benchmark results to give you guys an idea...

http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/...hd-250-07.html

He also recommends (I prefer this one too) getting the Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 (250GB) (SATAII)
    http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/...und_up-36.html

Also is your AMD proc. boxed? If not and you have to put the thermal grease on yourself than you should watch out. It's not going to come out of your clothes.. ... If it's boxed than it will be an easy install (I'm talking about the proc. cooler that comes with the boxed sets)

Make sure that you ground yourself once and awhile ... (HD's are very sensitive for EMP's)

TechieMoe already stated that you need to keep your floppy drive for the SATA drivers ...

Also the SATA connectors on the board (plastic stuff) breaks quite easily..

I think your Antec PSU has two 12v lines (not sure but Antec usually provides two 12v lines).. oh well in your case it shouldn't matter but watch out for the amount of Amperes on these lines.. make sure it's enough...

Cheers...

I made a few typo's ...

Linux Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    I would recommend you *do* have a floppy drive ...
    Yeah, although I didn't know the specifics (this is my first time in terms of SATA), I thought £3 wasn't that much to spend to improve compatibility.

Tom's hardware guide states that's impossible (for now) to have a 300MB/s transfer rate ... ... the speed is theoretical .... nothing more .. nothing less..
    Hmm, thanks for the link, my friend did tell me the difference between transfer rates will unnoticable for me (especially since I don't play games therefore won't be loading huge maps), however, the supplier I'm buying from (ebuyer.co.uk) doesn't stock the Hitachi's recommended and the model below this was just £3 cheaper than WD 250GB I originally had, which I don't worth it (in effect, I'm paying £3 for the increase in data transfer and whatever other new technologies may have been introduced in the WD).

The AMD processor is the retail version, I did think of buying the OEM until I found out it doesn't come with a warranty or heatsink, but since this is the first computer I've ever built, I'll get the retail box.

I will make sure I don't kill myself or short-circuit any components.

About the PSU thing, hmm, not sure about what this means.

Here's the new items list:
    Antec Psu/550w Eps12v Pfc F True Ii - £97.04
    LG GSA-4167B 16X DVD±RW/RAM Dual Layer Internal IDE (Beige) - Retail Box - £34.06
    XFX GeForce 6200 TurboCache 64mb (Supporting 256mb) PCI-E VGA/DVI/TV-out Low Profile - £38.99
    Western Digital WD2500JS Caviar SE 250GB 7200RPM SATA2/300 8MB Cache - OEM - £78.09
    Mitsumi OEM Biege Internal Floppy Drive 1.44mb 3.5 Inch - £3.76
    Geil Value 1Gb PC3200 Dual Chan DDR Kit (2x512MB) (Cas 2.5 6-3-3) with Aluminium heat spreader - £65.10
    AMD (Venice) Athlon 64Bit 3200+ Socket 939pin 512k L2cache 90nm Retail Boxed Processor - £123.38
    Abit AN8 Ultra SKT939 NF4 7.1Channel audio Retail box - £75.54

And I still have £8 left in my budget

If there's any component I'm unsure about, it's definately the motherboard, does anybody have any experiences with using this motherboard?

Thanks in Advance (and for all the advice so far)
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by TomX
    The AMD processor is the retail version, I did think of buying the OEM until I found out it doesn't come with a warranty or heatsink, but since this is the first computer I've ever built, I'll get the retail box.
    I'm on about my 15th PC and I still always go with the retail box. I just prefer the assurance of the warranty and factory-cleared heatsink personally.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I prefer Zalman above all ... on the other hand .. your right about the warranty... I miss that ..

Have you seen the benchmark results ??

The Hitachi Deskstar (best SATAII HD atm) generates a magnificent speed of 112.7 MB/s .. that's no where near the 300MB/s .. the other drives perform much worse as you can see..

The 12v line is important cause your mobo and other hardware drains power from that line. The newest graphic cards extract 9A (Don't pin me on this oke .. ) from that line.. if you have a 12v line with just 15A than there isn't much left for the rest. To be save you need 28A> and preferable just one line in stead of two...

I'm 17 and I've built 4 PC's so far... (and a few rebuilt's .... )

Linux Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    I'm on about my 15th PC and I still always go with the retail box. I just prefer the assurance of the warranty and factory-cleared heatsink personally.
    15 PCs :O Damn, but yeah, point taken, warranty is a yes-yes.

Have you seen the benchmark results ??
    Yes, however, the Hitachi is not stocked by the company I'm buying from, I'll have a look at the benchmarks and the companies stock to find the best HDD for me.

The 12v line is important cause your mobo and other hardware drains power from that line. The newest graphic cards extract 9A (Don't pin me on this oke .. ) from that line.. if you have a 12v line with just 15A than there isn't much left for the rest. To be save you need 28A> and preferable just one line in stead of two...
    Hmm, it says "Dual 12V outputs" which I assume means there's two 12V lines, which I secondly assume this is much better, at least I hope.

About the 15Amps thing, hmm, it doesn't mention anything about the rate of flow of charge (muahuwaha, showing off my 1337 but limited physics knowledge), however, it does say "ATX12V 2.01 compliant" if that's any use.

http://www.antec.com/uk/productDetails.php?ProdID=17554

I'm 17 and I've built 4 PC's so far... (and a few rebuilt's .... )
    I wish I could afford to build so many computers (I suppose I could build them for other people, probably a bad idea though).

Just Joined!
    Yes, however, the Hitachi is not stocked by the company I'm buying from, I'll have a look at the benchmarks and the companies stock to find the best HDD for me.
    Good idea...

Hmm, it says "Dual 12V outputs" which I assume means there's two 12V lines, which I secondly assume this is much better, at least I hope.

About the 15Amps thing, hmm, it doesn't mention anything about the rate of flow of charge (muahuwaha, showing off my 1337 but limited physics knowledge), however, it does say "ATX12V 2.01 compliant" if that's any use.

No 1 line is better ... the first line is used for your proc. and memory if I recall correctly .. the second for the rest ..

On the Antec website you can find a specifics sheet and you'll find what you need. I see the antec is SLI ready I thought you said you wouldn't game a lot .. there's no need for SLI if you don't game much and you need tow identical graphic cards to enable SLI (you can use one though)

I see the lines both have 19A so I guess your save with that .. but the second line is probably (while gaming specificly) to endure a lot more 'stress' than the first one ...

Enermax is a better brand IMO.. (a lot of other people think so to lol)

I wish I could afford to build so many computers (I suppose I could build them for other people, probably a bad idea though).
    LOL
    /// my new components are late GDM.. (my apoligies for the swearing) .. I'm going to built another one ..

Oh yeah watch out for sharp edges .. (depends on the enclosure)

Linux Newbie
    I'm quite uneducated in terms of PSUs, I just assumed that since I've ordered an Antec case (Super Lanboy) I would get an Antec PSU.

The three Enermax PSU's available are:
    Enermax Noisetaker EG495AX-VE(W)(20+4pin)RIN 485w Power Supply
    Enermax FMA series EG565AX-VE(W) 535w power supply
    Enermax Coolergiant 480w Power supply

There're all generally the same price (~£70) which is cheaper than the Antec TruePower 550W I originally planned to buy. So, which, out of the 3 Enermaxes and the Antec, would you recommend? (I'm assuming Noisetaker).

I did say I wouldn't game a lot but I would like the upgrading option, if I bought a cheap PSU and decided to game I'd definately need a new PSU.

EDIT: I've actually found the Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 250GB on my suppliers website, I guess I'll be buying this

I have £31 left in my budget, with it I think I'll either buy a better motherboard or faster RAM.

EDIT 2: I have found some faster RAM but am wondering whether the price difference is worth the difference in speed.
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=97038
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=52471

If it isn't worth buying the faster RAM I will either get a faster GFX card or a 3500+ rather than 3200+.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast