Find the answer to your Linux question:
How many of you have tried the elinks text mode web browser? I just discovered it and am really taking a fancy to it....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

The elinks Web Browser

How many of you have tried the elinks text mode web browser? I just discovered it and am really taking a fancy to it.

Linux Engineer
    Just read about half of The Cathedral and the Bazar in it. The best part is the gray text on black background. The bug where some characters just stick there is annoying.

Don't use elinks, but do on occaision use Links graphics which is the Links browser plus graphics. It's the fastes browser out there, although it isn't yet ipv6 compliant. Not to worry yet, as there's still plenty of ipv4 out there...

I just wish I could get Java working with Links graphics. That way, vnc-java would be a lot faster.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan
    Don't use elinks, but do on occaision use Links graphics
    ditto

Or "links -driver fb"

Just Joined!
    I haven't tried elinks, but I find myself using Links (without graphics) a lot. I'm not sure why -- seems like you're getting "just the facts" when there aren't any images. Guess you have to be in a minimalist mood.

My main browser that I use is lynx, but it does not support frames so sometimes I have to use links. I don't use X so graphical links is a great thing to have if you don't want to download all pictures and view them manually, it even supports tabs.

Linux Engineer
    For non graphical console browsing, elinks is simply the best there is, even if it is only because of tabs. Though, it does have some (very limited) color and css support, frames, tables, mouse, and all that other stuff.