Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Originally Posted by techieMoe Perhaps instead of offering stars or something positive as a rating system, I should start gauging my rants by "annoyance factor". Haha. I don't know if ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Ratings system for TechieMoe's rants...

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Perhaps instead of offering stars or something positive as a rating system, I should start gauging my rants by "annoyance factor". Haha.
    I don't know if they still do it, but I remember Rolling Stones magazine used to have a boot ratings system for bad music.

::moderator edit:: I split this off from another topic to keep from hijacking the fellow's thread. - TM
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Re: Singing praise to Fedora Core 4

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan
    Perhaps instead of offering stars or something positive as a rating system, I should start gauging my rants by "annoyance factor". Haha.
    I don't know if they still do it, but I remember Rolling Stones magazine used to have a boot ratings system for bad music.
    and whats the 'boot' imply? i would have thought that it would be a frisbie(or coffee mat for cd's) rating for bad music .

Quote Originally Posted by GNOME_n00b
    and whats the 'boot' imply? i would have thought that it would be a frisbie(or coffee mat for cd's) rating for bad music .
    That's it! techieMoe, how about a "coasters" rating?

Quote Originally Posted by GNOME_n00b
    That's it! techieMoe, how about a "coasters" rating?
    That's not a bad idea. I may have to do that when I have the time to go through every single distro review and tweak the code. I'm sure I'll be bored some time soon. Question though, how would it work? Would I award more coasters to a *better* distro or a *worse* distro? (Since technically a bad distro would generate more coasters anyway...)
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I think the worse your impression of a distro, the more coasters it would recieve, maybe up to four...

Hmm.. I see.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Rolling Stones always gave boots to the music it deemed bad and a one to (I think four) thumbs up to the music it thought was good. I don't have any ideas about what to give the distros you like...

Linux Newbie

Coasters

How about a set number of coasters and those would be equal to certain aspects of the Distro. For instance, a coaster for ease of install and hardware detection. If it does this well, no coaster. If it is ok but not great, half a coaster. If it just doesn't work well, a full coaster. Yes, coasters should be awarded to bad things. Or maybe do coasters and penguins...LOL Coasters=Bad...penguins, well ya know.
    Mahalo,
    Edward
    GNU/Linux is a powerful Free OS. Fear is a powerful motivator. Freedom is sweet. Fear GNU/Linux. Savor Freedom.

Re: Coasters

Quote Originally Posted by Hiko
    How about a set number of coasters and those would be equal to certain aspects of the Distro. For instance, a coaster for ease of install and hardware detection. If it does this well, no coaster. If it is ok but not great, half a coaster. If it just doesn't work well, a full coaster. Yes, coasters should be awarded to bad things. Or maybe do coasters and penguins...LOL Coasters=Bad...penguins, well ya know.
    Mahalo,
    Edward
    Yes, I've been trying to think of a "metric" by which to add coasters or penguins. Here's what I've been throwing around:

Installs correctly: 1 penguin/1 coaster (yes, no)
    Detects hardware: 1 penguin/1 coaster
    Useful offline (big one for me): 1 penguin/1 coaster
    I can actually do work on it: 1 penguin/1 coaster

Keep in mind I'm not trying to be a MadPenguin or Tom's Hardware and be completely fair with everything. I'm not going to go into a *great* amount of detail as far as fractions of a point or such, but I am willing to consider half points (like for instance one that detects MOST of my hardware but not all). Would anyone be willing to come up with some small penguin/coaster graphics I could use? I don't want them to be much larger than the text I have in the headers already. Just an idea.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by TechieMoe
    Question though, how would it work? Would I award more coasters to a *better* distro or a *worse* distro? (Since technically a bad distro would generate more coasters anyway...)

Or maybe do coasters and penguins...LOL Coasters=Bad...penguins, well ya know.
    i think thats the way to go. almost all tests, whether they be for linux distros or hifi's or whatever, have a positive rating system whereby they judged for how good they are. but i think thats flawed because 5 penguins would indicate that something is perfect....and that perfect distro simply doesn't exist and will probably never exist. since there is no such thing as a perfect distro (or a perfect anything else, for that matter), i would have thought that a negative rating system (ie using coasters as opposed to penguins) was a more accurate assessment of a distro. if the assessor considers the disto totally usable(i guess this would be equivelent to 5 penguins out of 5), then it doesn't get any coasters. there would be a certain criteria system(like a checklist) whereby, for each one it fails, it gets 'awarded' a coaster. to get 5 coasters, i would have thought that this was a near impossibility....but would be used only for ultra-exceptionally bad distros. microsoft linux, perhaps? only joking .

EDIT: no sooner had i posted this that i realised that TechieMoe has already devised a system (which wasn't there when i started writing the above). oh well. its food for thought, anyway.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast