Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
secret service has acknowledged this for purposes of tracing counterfiet money printed from color printers. its a necesary evil due to criminal activity with color laser printers. i dont like ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

secret service has acknowledged this for purposes of tracing counterfiet money printed from color printers. its a necesary evil due to criminal activity with color laser printers. i dont like but as long as people are going to use printers to commit crimes then its possible that manufacturers are going to be required to put technologies in like this. plus its not really spying the printed documents just have markers incase people use it for counterfieting then they have a way to trace it back to the original owner that is if the printer wasnt stolen.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Quote Originally Posted by chopin1810
    You know, you people are really suckers for this... just like the people who believe the government is secretly communicating with alien ambassadors from space or that we never really landed on the moon... this is crazy, we all know conspiracy theorists love to exaggerate this stuff. Until I get some conclusive evidence from an unbiased source (sorry, the ACLU does not exactly qualify as unbiased) then I will consider this to be a made up story by people who have nothing better to do.
    Sorry to take all the fun out of this...
    um, no

1) The secret service and several printer makers have themselves said they do this.
    2) The ACLU sure counts as an unbiased source in my book. They are an org dovoted to protecting the freedom of all people.
    3) This is from the EFF. They are different than the ACLU.
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Just Joined!
    I am more then happy to let them track my vocab list if they so chose.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    1. Can't really see how this could be used against people except when they have actually acted illegally.

2. There are too many complete whackos in US government.

3. Good reason not to send in the warranty registration for your new printer.

4. What if the counterfeiter used a stolen printer???

They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security -Benjamin Franklin
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by drakebasher
    They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security -Benjamin Franklin
    This is actually one of the most misquoted lines in American History, Franklin did say it but he was citing Thomas Jefferson...
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Linux Guru
    Based on the number of similar statements attributed to both as well as others of that time, it would appear that there was considerable discussion and thought on both liberty and security during those times, so "misquote" is probably a mischaracterization. Rather the "quote" is most likely a paraphase of statements made by each.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

The alarming thing about this is not necessarily what the US Government is doing with this, but rather what other more oppressive governments may be doing with this--and whatever OTHER secret tracking mechanisms are out there. This particular tracking mechanism was apparently not hard to decipher, so it's not just the US Government which can gather data using it.

Consider that around the world, there are a lot of places where religious and political groups are oppressed. Electronic communications can be easily tracked and spied upon, of course, so paper communications are necessary. But with this sort of secret technology, even printed religious pamphlets become a trackable tool for secret police to track down and murder religious minorities or democracy activists.

The US Government beaurocrats who came up with this scheme either didn't think about or didn't care about the global repercussions of their narrow-minded actions. This one was discovered and decoded by third parties. What other schemes also lay hidden, or discovered by "the bad guys"?
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

Linux Enthusiast
    1) The secret service and several printer makers have themselves said they do this.
    Where? When? If they actually admitted to it then I'd think it would be front page news. Seriously. It would be quite a major discovery.
    2) The ACLU sure counts as an unbiased source in my book. They are an org dovoted to protecting the freedom of all people.
    That's certainly debatable. I don't want to start a flame, so all I can say is... you're statement is certainly one which many proven people could argue on.
    3) This is from the EFF. They are different than the ACLU.
    Quote Originally Posted by EFF Article
    The ACLU recently issued a report revealing that the FBI has amassed more than 1,100 pages of documents on the organization since 2001, as well as documents concerning other non-violent groups, including Greenpeace and United for Peace and Justice.
    Perhaps it isn't written by the ACLU, but they do rely on some data provided by them.
    If there were a piece of conclusive evidence provided by a reliable source, then I would believe in this article. I am not one to simply deny all I hear; I do believe in the Trusted Computing issue and that it is a violation of privacy. But "tracking dots" on printers? This is too farfectched.

Quote Originally Posted by chopin1810
    But "tracking dots" on printers? This is too farfectched.
    Please explain why you think so.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

I agree why is using dots to track so far-fetched. Is using bar codes any crazier? I rarely believe the conspiracy theory stuff, but in order to counter counterfeiting this seems completely plausible.
    "If you are out to describe the truth leave elegance to the tailor."
    -Einstein

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast