Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello! I just had to post the good news. I got 3D working on my Ati X700 card. Just downloaded the new driver from Ati and it worked, right away.. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

New Ati driver is Working

Hello!
    I just had to post the good news. I got 3D working on my Ati X700 card.
    Just downloaded the new driver from Ati and it worked, right away..

Just thought i'd let you know..

I'm using debian Sarge.. kernel 2.4 something haven't tryed it on a newer kernel yet.. Weee..

This is news-worthy indeed. Can anyone else confirm it?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Works with my ATI Radeon 9200-based card. Getting 300+FPS on glxgears and in the 50-90s with fgl_glxgears, running SuSE 10.0 open source edition. Still runs slow, but that's just a slow CPU and wimpy ram speaking.
    Nothing is worse than ten penguins fighting over which is better, vi or emacs.
    Registered Linux User #404402
    Finally I'm back on LF after a long while.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefann
    Works with my ATI Radeon 9200-based card. Getting 300+FPS on glxgears and in the 50-90s with fgl_glxgears, running SuSE 10.0 open source edition. Still runs slow, but that's just a slow CPU and wimpy ram speaking.
    Well, considering I can get 300fps using the software rendering nv driver in X Windows, I don't consider that to be very convincing. I'm waiting for someone to tell me they're able to get close to or match my 8,000-10,000FPS on glxgears using the commercial Nvidia drivers on a comparable (9800+) ATI card. ATI has never had trouble getting their 2D drivers to work (there's an open-source Radeon driver that does that just fine). It's 3D acceleration that has historically sucked.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Well, considering I can get 300fps using the software rendering nv driver in X Windows, I don't consider that to be very convincing. I'm waiting for someone to tell me they're able to get close to or match my 8,000-10,000FPS on glxgears using the commercial Nvidia drivers.
    Well I said BASED card didn't I, it's a re-branded radeon 9200 so that diminishes performance, add on top of that my 600mhz celeron CPU, and 192MB of RAM, not that bad, still I never need more than 40-60FPS anyways, "to each his own" so whatever floats your boat.

Well I said BASED card didn't I, it's a re-branded radeon 9200 so that diminishes performance, add on top of that my 600mhz celeron CPU, and 192MB of RAM, not that bad, still I never need more than 40-60FPS anyways, "to each his own" so whatever floats your boat.
    Actually, I've found in the past that re-branded cards tend to work better than their official equivalents, at least for the cards I've bought. Given I haven't bought many ATI cards since my 9800 melted, but still...
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Actually, I've found in the past that re-branded cards tend to work better than their official equivalents, at least for the cards I've bought. Given I haven't bought many ATI cards since my 9800 melted, but still...
    Hmm, weird, but still I have a crappy CPU and amount of RAM, but you also have to remember, ATI is still behind nVidia on linux drivers, they started too late while nVidia knew what people wanted. Either way I'd still rather run my games in Windows because Linux 3D drivers still have a bit of a way to go, and most of my games are Windows only and running WineX/Cedga just doesn't appeal to me. Anyways, I just wanted the driver because X ran like **** without it, scrolling in a web browser looked like **** and was slooowww, works decently now so I'm happy.

Hmm, weird, but still I have a crappy CPU and amount of RAM, but you also have to remember, ATI is still behind nVidia on linux drivers, they started too late while nVidia knew what people wanted. Either way I'd still rather run my games in Windows because Linux 3D drivers still have a bit of a way to go, and most of my games are Windows only and running WineX/Cedga just doesn't appeal to me. Anyways, I just wanted the driver because X ran like **** without it, scrolling in a web browser looked like **** and was slooowww, works decently now so I'm happy.
    Yes, the ATI Linux drivers have historically been way behind Nvidia in my experience. I'm glad to hear they're improving, even if it's just in 2D performance.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Yes, the ATI Linux drivers have historically been way behind Nvidia in my experience. I'm glad to hear they're improving, even if it's just in 2D performance.
    3D is obviously getting better too, my last version installed gave me 50fps on GLXGears, and fgl_glxgears didn't even run.

3D is obviously getting better too, my last version installed gave me 50fps on GLXGears, and fgl_glxgears didn't even run.
    That's good. I look forward to a day when there's *competition* in the Linux space.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast