Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Originally Posted by pajamabama Originally Posted by d38dm8nw81k1ng personally i don't see the point of these posts. it's kinda like an ex ringing you up to tell you that their ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by pajamabama
    Quote Originally Posted by d38dm8nw81k1ng
    personally i don't see the point of these posts. it's kinda like an ex ringing you up to tell you that their relationship with someone else is working better than it ever did with you.

yes, i had a bad day at college...
    I'd say, for one, the purpose of a post like this is to discuss what isn't working and why. Thats what this whole site is about for the most part and what can be done with it.
    if linux ain't working and you want help, make a topic and ask. if it ain't working and you don't want help, don't post a topic. when i erased windows i didn't ring up MS tech support and say "i'm leaving your OS because i don't like it." ok i'd probably ring ol' bill, but i don't know his number
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Linux Engineer
    ok i'd probably ring ol' bill, but i don't know his number
    If you ever lay hands on it, just let me know . I want to give him a call too .
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Linux Enthusiast
    Just work at it, things get better, honestly, and really distance isnt a factor when you are printing, like at my school, we sent 100 copies of 'You suck' on 10 different printers, twas fun :P

Quote Originally Posted by onlinebacon
    Just work at it, things get better, honestly, and really distance isnt a factor when you are printing, like at my school, we sent 100 copies of 'You suck' on 10 different printers, twas fun :P
    ahem
    *clears throat*

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!

thank you
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Hmmm...I didn't like that "...if you don't value your time." I like to learn new things and build upon them, so part of the value of my time is learning new things, how they work and how I can work them into my life...if you don't value knowledge, in this case computer knowledge in its most general sense, then maybe you don't value your time, as it can be seen as wasted.

In your case, from what you said, you are at the point where you just need to get stuff to work. That is understandable. If you can't get something to work, why bother spending time on it, right? But, just because you don't have the time to figure something out yourself, doesn't mean that the time is wasted.

I mean, if you have a car that breaks down, but have to rely on it, you either fix it yourself, or take it someplace to get fixed. Linux allows you to fix it yourself much easier, and many, if not most of us value that. So, sorry for the rant, I just don't like someone generalizing in a way that anyone uses linux doesn't value their time:)
    Join the Open Source Revolution. Support GNU/Linux.

Find me at: www.deeksworld.com
    Registered GNU/Linux User #395777

Just Joined!
    if linux ain't working and you want help, make a topic and ask. if it ain't working and you don't want help, don't post a topic. when i erased windows i didn't ring up MS tech support and say "i'm leaving your OS because i don't like it." ok i'd probably ring ol' bill, but i don't know his number
    I think pajamabama (like others who post similar threads) is deep down really unhappy about the idea of going back to the dark side, and is subconsciously hoping that someone will post something to change his mind back (ok, maybe a little melodramatic ). And support is a legitimate concern on an OpenSource project, requests for help don't always get answered and even sometimes get ignored completely (especially if they require some level of effort). I can see his point as well as others' points.

Me, I'm somewhere in the middle. I have both installed (on different machines), and as a newbie to Linux I spend an average of three hours on every new service in order to get it running (I still can't get FTP to work ) We'll never get widespread support if that doesn't change.

Don't get me wrong here, I am a huge supporter of open source, the flexibility that Linux provides, etc. but I'm close to pajamabama's move as well (ok, not that close, but it is a consideration). I think we can improve, and that, I believe is what this is all about.

Linux Engineer
    If it can reassure you: I still keep windows. For gaming (only ). My main box (with 'main' I mean the one that's up every day) is Linux-only. I watch movies on linux, burn cd's on linux, store, encode, tag my music on linux, I copy movies on linux, I surf on linux, I mail on linux. Basically, except for gaming, I do everything on Linux. I have literally spent hours searching how to improve my linux experience - installing extra programs, looking for good equivalents, finding adblocking for my linux opera, backing up system settings, adjusting the system to my liking, getting my brand new 10-button Logitech LX700 mouse to work, ... I can go on for days here. But it is worth the trouble, and if there's something I don't get myself, I can always ask here, or on linuxquestions, or on my distro's forum... And most of the time it gets solved. I learn (I do have a personal tips & tricks guide stored on my system, comes in handy every time), and I like that.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

too many people give up early. how in the world are people going to offer support for thier products that are already supported under windows if users keep going back to windows. if more people are using linux and demanding support that is the only way that its going to happen. im not saying that everyone should be on windows but if your choice is linux stand up and demand the support and for products already supported give feedback when you have problems its the only way that linux will be another venerable choice for users.

keep trying you will learn and you still have the aforementioned ability to dual-boot with XP.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

oz
    forum.guy
    Best of luck with XP!

I want to apologize for the 'don't value your time' comment. It was very inaccurate on my part. Of course I value the knowledge and experience gained by using linux. That is one of the main reasons I started using it in the first place. I have a BS in Compute Science and really do appreciate and enjoy everything I've learned from using it. I should have said that at the moment, I don't have the time to invest in learning linux because I'm not doing CS for my masters.

And I'm sorry if people don't appreciate this kind of post. I guess I just wanted to let folks know that I was leaving. And I think it is relevent to the linux community to know what is driving people to cross back to the dark side. I meant no linux-flames by this post.

I agree that the only way to resolve the 'not supported under linux' issue is to keep at it and demand support. I just don't have the time to make that fight right now.

ps. and for the record again, XP has frozen on me twice this morning alone. WTF?
    HP Pavilion dv6000t
    Intel Centrino Duo 2.0GHz
    nVidia GeForce Go 7400
    Fedora 10

----------------------
    The real question is what time is it and why the hell am I still screwing around with my computer?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast