Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Well boys (and I don't get the impression there are too many girls here), I hate to say it but I'm crossing over. I wiped my hd and put XP ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Throwing in the towel

Well boys (and I don't get the impression there are too many girls here), I hate to say it but I'm crossing over. I wiped my hd and put XP on it. It all finally came down to support issues. Basically I kept finding things that I was trying to do that weren't really supported under linux. No matter what I tried I couldn't print to the printer sitting 5 feet from my desk (it's on a Windows server). I also had issues connecting to my network drive space (also a Windows server). I couldn't use the new iRiver T10 I just bought because they've switched to a totally managed file structure (although I bought it because of it's reputed Linux-friendlyness). I tried installing the patches and drivers that are out there and that was actually the straw that broke by system's back. In the process of patching the kernel, I managed to poop all over it renering my system nearly useless.

I'm not happy about this, I really think that even things like the UI in KDE is better than Windows (not to mention security). Also, I hate the fact that most of the things I will want to do with it, ie adding software etc. won't be free anymore.

It's really just an issue of support. SuSE is there in terms of useability. You don't need to be a geek or a hacker to use it. The only time you do is when you encounter somthing that's not supported and then it's up to you to dick around with it until it works (or in my case dies).

TTFN. I'll be back.

Sean
    HP Pavilion dv6000t
    Intel Centrino Duo 2.0GHz
    nVidia GeForce Go 7400
    Fedora 10

----------------------
    The real question is what time is it and why the hell am I still screwing around with my computer?

Yeah, sometimes this happens unfortunately. Good to hear you will be back, as with any development cycle, things get better with time...hopefully it won't be long until you are back and find everything to be working for ya!
    Join the Open Source Revolution. Support GNU/Linux.

Find me at: www.deeksworld.com
    Registered GNU/Linux User #395777

Re: Throwing in the towel

Quote Originally Posted by pajamabama
    Well boys (and I don't get the impression there are too many girls here), I hate to say it but I'm crossing over. I wiped my hd and put XP on it. It all finally came down to support issues. Basically I kept finding things that I was trying to do that weren't really supported under linux. No matter what I tried I couldn't print to the printer sitting 5 feet from my desk (it's on a Windows server). I also had issues connecting to my network drive space (also a Windows server).
    Xandros is probably the best Linux I've found for Windows network/server/domain connectivity.

I couldn't use the new iRiver T10 I just bought because they've switched to a totally managed file structure (although I bought it because of it's reputed Linux-friendlyness).
    I would have suggested an iPod. Most of my Linuxes handle all my iPods just fine, particularly SuSE.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Engineer
    iRiver is known to have excellent Linux support. My iFP-899 works really fine. You could flash your iRiver with UMS support, and use it as a regular USB storage device... Perseverance is the key .
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

You might as well dual boot, at least for a while. You could keep Windows as your main OS, and experiment with Linux on another partition and see if you can get it working to your satisfaction. Maybe a different distribution would work out better.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

personally i don't see the point of these posts. it's kinda like an ex ringing you up to tell you that their relationship with someone else is working better than it ever did with you.

yes, i had a bad day at college...
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Quote Originally Posted by borromini
    iRiver is known to have excellent Linux support. My iFP-899 works really fine. You could flash your iRiver with UMS support, and use it as a regular USB storage device... Perseverance is the key .
    that's all my H340 did in the first place! I assumed most iRiver was that way. With the H series of players, they dont send software, the only thing u get on CD is the pre-Win 2000 drivers since Win 2K and later has the drivers installed anyway, and you just access it thru Windows Explorer.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by d38dm8nw81k1ng
    personally i don't see the point of these posts. it's kinda like an ex ringing you up to tell you that their relationship with someone else is working better than it ever did with you.

Cheer up... But you're quite right .

Quote Originally Posted by d38dm8nw81k1ng

I'd say, for one, the purpose of a post like this is to discuss what isn't working and why. Thats what this whole site is about for the most part and what can be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by borromini
    You could flash your iRiver with UMS support, and use it as a regular USB storage device... Perseverance is the key .
    As for perseverence, I'm a full-time grad student now. This machine started as my toy/linux experiment and suddenly found itself as my full-time work machine. I don't have much time to twiddle around getting things to work. My housemate put it well: "Linux is free if you don't value your time."

And for the record, windows is irritating me already.[/quote]
    HP Pavilion dv6000t
    Intel Centrino Duo 2.0GHz
    nVidia GeForce Go 7400
    Fedora 10

----------------------
    The real question is what time is it and why the hell am I still screwing around with my computer?

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by pajamabama
    I'd say, for one, the purpose of a post like this is to discuss what isn't working and why. Thats what this whole site is about for the most part and what can be done with it.
    I think if you have already decided to switch (which is no flame, it's your right!) there's not much to be discussed, is there? Ok, it's no linux bashing topic, that's right. Yet it fits in the row of 'linux couldn't live up to my (moderate) expectations'.

"Linux is free if you don't value your time."
    Indeed you need time to set your linux up. But it requires so little maintenance after that. No defragging, no virus scanning, no spyware searching... Believe me, I ran all that stuff every week (well defragging maybe less), if you get to counting, it's a whole lot more rewarding having linux than any of the Windowses. I think I recuperated my time spent on installing linux etc. big time. A huge plus - you gain the knowledge to do it easier in the future.
    And no legal troubles (that is worth money too). Even freedome comes at a price .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast