Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
I started out with Knoppix live cd. I now changed to Fedora core 4 release and I must say i really have been let down. Anything one tries to install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Really let down by Linux

I started out with Knoppix live cd. I now changed to Fedora core 4 release and I must say i really have been let down.
    Anything one tries to install does not work. All my .avi files do not work. My NTFS 200gb hard disk cannot be read, tried to downaload mplayer but of course occured in so many problems and it did not install. Yum sucks because it is full of mistakes. Gives me the same mistakes whenever i try to install something.
    Just using Linux is not easy at all.
    If Linux ever wants to beat Windows it has to become a lot better....A LOT...it is nowhere near Windows. Even me saying this...I personally hate microsoft but hey...I thought linux would be a lot better but i soon realised it still canot beat windows whatever linux geeks say.
    No offense to geeks as i am one too.
    Very depressed about all this. Was expecting so much from linux...

Banned
    Lock this crap.

Just Joined!
    agreed

...he obviously didnt even give linux a good try

pity these people live among us..

Have you installed the DivX4Linux pack? Have you installed the NTFS reader module to allow NTFS read support? Did you follows your mplayer errors through or post on a forum for help?

The learning curve for Linux is steeper than for Windows. But if you persevere, you might find success and be the happier for it.

And as far as "beating Windows", many Linux people don't want to "beat Windows", they simply want an open alternative that allows for a second choice. Some, like myself, find Linux far superior to Windows in every way, shape, and form. Others despise Linux. Both are valid opinions.

If you want to give up, you certainly can and no one is forcing you to stay with Linux. But it is YOUR choice, not a failing of Linux itself. Just look at all the happy Linux users out there, and tell them that their OS fails.

Linux User
    Second the motion to lock.
    registered linux user: 387197

Just Joined!
    nice answer.
    I'm not just criticising because i want to break hell out. This is serious. I have been trying to use linux for a week now. Not achieving a single thing. And don't think i did not try, I bloofy killed myself trying.Just look around this forum...a quarter of the posts are mine.
    And don't think i hate Linux. I was hoping for it to change my whole perspective...Giving me a new beautiful Operating system but truthfully, I hardly find any good points to it... I really wish there were

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabhan
    Have you installed the DivX4Linux pack? Have you installed the NTFS reader module to allow NTFS read support? Did you follows your mplayer errors through or post on a forum for help?

The learning curve for Linux is steeper than for Windows. But if you persevere, you might find success and be the happier for it.

And as far as "beating Windows", many Linux people don't want to "beat Windows", they simply want an open alternative that allows for a second choice. Some, like myself, find Linux far superior to Windows in every way, shape, and form. Others despise Linux. Both are valid opinions.

If you want to give up, you certainly can and no one is forcing you to stay with Linux. But it is YOUR choice, not a failing of Linux itself. Just look at all the happy Linux users out there, and tell them that their OS fails.
    I have tried to install all of the above...following faq's and tutorials..asking questions on forums etc. Nothing ...nothing.always mistakes mistakes and errors errors.
    Since the beginning i only see errors...
    I don't want to be killed on this thread please

I remember very vividly being right at the point where you are now. I was told to stick it out and it would start to come together. I did and now wouldn't go back to Windows for anything. If you are impatient then Linux is definately not for you. Good Luck.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    im really not impatient. I mean i even managed to install knoppix which wasnt a good idea...but it took so much patience...I then realised Knoppix really wasnt good on an hd so changed to Fedora...But i swear nothing works...NOTHING,
    i downloaded Mplayer, divxcodec4linux, they are both on my desktop but they failed to install... it's really bugging me

Quote Originally Posted by Riqz85
    im really not impatient. I mean i even managed to install knoppix which wasnt a good idea...but it took so much patience...I then realised Knoppix really wasnt good on an hd so changed to Fedora...But i swear nothing works...NOTHING,
    i downloaded Mplayer, divxcodec4linux, they are both on my desktop but they failed to install... it's really bugging me
    Had you asked, I wouldn't have recommended either Knoppix as a HD install or Fedora as a first distro choice. You would be plesantly surprised with SimplyMepis or SuSE. Fedora is not a good choice unless you have an easier distro under your belt. Fedora doesn't give you all these extras, they must be installed. A new user isn't going to have an easy time installing things like Mplayer flash and java.

I do not wish to sound inconsiderate, but you're gonna give up after a week?! Didn't it take longer than that for you to learn Windows?
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast