Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Photoshop replacement for Linux!

Hi guys, just to let you know that I found cool Photoshop replacement for Linux (works on others also). It's called Pixel image editor. I found it here: http://www.kanzelsberger.com

What's great, it is small and fast... and supports color management, CMYK and even HDR(!). Also adjustement layers and layer effects(!)...

I know, I know, it's not opensource, but for $32 it's a kick ass program

there is always the gimp as well
    www.gimp.org

might wana try that out, it is free

Quote Originally Posted by the_guy_dressed_in_black
    there is always the gimp as well
    www.gimp.org

might wana try that out, it is free
    But it's missing features I mentioned in my first post. I tried GIMP, but result is I was dualbooting to use Photoshop in Windows. Now it seems I can finally get rid of Windows!!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    Also, GIMPSHOP looks like Photoshop but is actually the GIMP...

www.gimpshop.net

forum.guy
    No, thanks... Pixel Editor has one feature that I can live without:

Pixel’s price is now $32, the final release by end of 2005 will cost more ($70-100).

Just Joined!
    I don't want to use Pixel. Maybe it is better than GIMP, but I have to support GNU soft.

Just Joined!
    "But it's missing features I mentioned in my first post. I tried GIMP, but result is I was dualbooting to use Photoshop in Windows. Now it seems I can finally get rid of Windows!!"

Don't worry! You can still get rid of windows using photoshop under wine (which happens to be FREE, which matters in a community where open source values have a high standard)
    I use wine to work with photoshop with no problems. Most of the time I use GIMP but occasionally there is the need for photoshop.

Quote Originally Posted by grimR
    "But it's missing features I mentioned in my first post. I tried GIMP, but result is I was dualbooting to use Photoshop in Windows. Now it seems I can finally get rid of Windows!!"

I use wine to work with photoshop with no problems. Most of the time I use GIMP but occasionally there is the need for photoshop.
    I agree have been using GIMP for several months in windows but am consitantly switching programs.
    So your saying that Wine will allow you to run Photoshop in Linux as i have recieved mixed answers on that from several places.

The Gimp has a limited number of layers it can handle, lack of plugins and some functionality features lacking in it that only professional designers would be aware of. It's not perfect and still not photoshop, thus why we need a real photoshop available for Linux. Though, Wine seems to say that Photoshop doesn't work in it, if you got it to work...

-->
    I just found Pixel myself, and just found this topic, and I have to say that Pixel truly is a 100% Photoshop replacement.

In Pixel I can do everything I can in Photoshop, Paintshop Pro, plus some functions of ImageReady, and it allows me to work with animations too. The user interface is very much like Photoshop so the transition is an easy one, and best of all Pixel is faster than Photoshop and smaller.
    Pixel also installs quick and easy on most any operating system.

GIMP and Photoshop are both limited compared to Pixel, no doubt about it.

$32-$100 for Pixel is far better than $600 for Photoshop, and GIMP may be free, but just because it's free doesn't mean it's better, I cannot do half of what I need to in GIMP and the user interface is beyond lame.

I don't mind paying less to get more than I did with Photoshop, and I certainly don't mind paying something to get more than I do with GIMP.

I'm also glad someone is making a program like this that's cheap, easy to install and use, and works on most every OS. That's worth supporting in my opinion.