Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Since everyone wants to know more about you I thought I would ask! 1. What is your favorite distro? 2. How long have you been using Linux? 3. How old ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Questions for Core?

Since everyone wants to know more about you I thought I would ask!

1. What is your favorite distro?
    2. How long have you been using Linux?
    3. How old are you, if you are willing to tell us?
    4. What do you like to do in your non-internet life? (hobby's, work, etc..)
    5. Why do you like Linux? (ex. because it is open-source, like the look of it, like to program with it, etc. .)
    6. Anything else you would like to add?

-crypto

Linux Enthusiast
    I've got some questions too.
    1.) Are you going to keep Coffee Lounge posts invalid on post counts?
    2.) Are you going to move the site to new servers?
    3.) Are you going to make any alterations to the forum rules?
    4.) How many distros have you tried? What is the varience of these distributions? In other words, have you tried systems like BSD and Solaris in addition to Linux?
    5.) I'm still a bit iffy on the move to vBulliten. Would you be willing to put it down to a vote? I can see your point on security, but I'm still sticking up for phpBB. You could explain all of that in the post and let members decide for themselves.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by fingal

What's your background with regard to open source? Are you an open source enthusiast, an IT professional or an amateur doing this as a side project?

And thanks for keeping the dancing bananas!

I would also like to know how long the work on altering these forums will take. It's hard to find your way around with no graphics. I also don't think the change over has been handled well. Personally I'm not bothered about the changes that much ... change is part of life and you can never alter that, but from this end it's been ... 'Well goodbye from Jason. The new guy's here and now we're changing the site and ...' Slow down will you?

So we haven't exactly felt included ... a perfect model for the corporate world really ... which this isn't.

On the other hand, good luck with your change over and I hope people end up liking it.

Quoted fingal's post in the other thread. I would like to know these too.

Also, whats your favorite distribution (if you have one)

Linux User
    1. What is your favorite distro?
    For some reason or another, I like SuSE.

2. How long have you been using Linux?
    It hasn't been that long, it has been like about 1.5-2 years.

3. How old are you, if you are willing to tell us?
    Not willing to tell you :P

4. What do you like to do in your non-internet life? (hobby's, work, etc..)
    I like football, basketball, hockey and tennis as sports I practice, oh, one more I tried but got my ass kicked in, Rugby.
    I am not really willing to give specifics about my work, sorry about that.

5. Why do you like Linux? (ex. because it is open-source, like the look of it, like to program with it, etc. .)
    As I said elsewhere, I am also a security enthusiast, and since Linux has this as an advantage over other operating systems, this is why I like it.
    One more thing I should add here, I also windows from time to time, don't have much against it, I'm not one of those anti-microsoft guys. I also wrote a couple of articles about how to Secure a windows work station... they can be found here, I doubt anyone will be interrested in this, but hell... (I'm just admitting everything...)

http://www.corehackers.com/index.php...id=11&Itemid=4
    http://www.corehackers.com/index.php...id=13&Itemid=4

6. Anything else you would like to add?
    Already added above...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.) Are you going to keep Coffee Lounge posts invalid on post counts?
    Haven't made up my mind yet, I might let it become valid, but will have a poicy that users that have under 15 posts or something can not post there, which would limit spamers and people who join in for the lounge and would actually make them contribute a bit.

2.) Are you going to move the site to new servers?
    The site is already on the new server

3.) Are you going to make any alterations to the forum rules?
    There might be some alterations to the rules, there might not be, not sure yet, but probably not, why, do you have anything you don't like?

4.) How many distros have you tried? What is the varience of these distributions? In other words, have you tried systems like BSD and Solaris in addition to Linux?
    I have only tried Fedora, SuSe, Live Knoppix (I use it when I feel like exploiting windows) and Slackware (only for 5 days)
    5.) I'm still a bit iffy on the move to vBulliten. Would you be willing to put it down to a vote? I can see your point on security, but I'm still sticking up for phpBB. You could explain all of that in the post and let members decide for themselves.
    PLEAAAASEEE, not the vbulletin thing again!

Anything else?

Core Wizard.

I might as well as, where in the world do you come from? (if you don't want to be specific it doesn't matter, but it'd be nice to know if you were from the USA, or Europ, or Australia etc.)
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Linux User
    Actually, I travel a lot, I'm in Switzerland at the moment, but my nationality is Lebanese, I come from Lebanon...

Linux User
    Why do you choose to cope with such animals like us???

Quote Originally Posted by Core Wizard
    One more thing I should add here, I also windows from time to time, don't have much against it, I'm not one of those anti-microsoft guys.
    Thank you! I thought I was one of the very few. Everywhere I go everyone is so anti-Microsoft. I actually like them..Xbox is awesome and Microsoft Office is a pretty good office suite (I am sure I will hear something about that).

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Okay - one further question, and it's about money. Everyone's favourite topic on planet earth today.

If we are now part of a Consolidated Consortium of United Linux Forums (COCULF) and these sites carry internal advertising linking each set of forums, and the forums solicit for other external advertisements, is the revenue from all of this being reinvested into the open source community?

If not then I'm frankly going to start looking for another forum because I don't want to be 'an unpaid employee' helping you to make a profit. I need to know that you are just using the advertising to cover your running costs, and that you aren't using advertising monies to invest in proprietary software or to finance your Ferrari.

I don't like Windows, or globalisation or large corporations or their 'helpful' products. How transparent are you prepared to be about this? You sound a bit like you are saying, 'Well, I like open source ... up to a point. But beyond that point, I prefer something a little more proprietary.'

If I didn't ask someone else would... Maybe.

EDIT: This forum looks okay to me - also vBulletin (and no I don't wish to comment on that) but the ads on LinuxQuestions are geared towards the open source community. We seem to be bordering on having a Windows forum and ads from Nokia ... Not yet perhaps, but maybe one day?
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Linux User
    I need to know that you are just using the advertising to cover your running costs, and that you aren't using advertising monies to invest in proprietary software or to finance your Ferrari.
    I already have my Ferrari , and a bit more than that... I just want the site to finance itself... That's it, no more, no less... And I have some new projects in mind, I need the website to finance itself to be able to make new projects... So don't worry, I don't really need people to be financing me
    I don't like Windows
    Well, I knew someone is going to say this, but each and every one has his own opinion...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast