Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey people! I just installed Red Hat 9 on my other PC right now! I'm soo excited right now, as i've heard so many nice things about Linux and how ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Just Installed Red Hat 9!

Hey people!

I just installed Red Hat 9 on my other PC right now! I'm soo excited right now, as i've heard so many nice things about Linux and how powerful it is etc!

I've been a Windows user for years, but I truly am a newbie when it comes to Linux! Anyway, I'm also a newbie on this board, so I'd just like to say "HI" to everybody out there! :rock:

Linux Engineer
    Hiya LiveFlash, welcome to the world of the penguin
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Heya, man. Welcome to the boards and the light side.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

welcome to the world of linux.

As you may already have seen, there is a Tutorial section on the site, that may be of use, and remember, if you have any questions, this is the place to ask them.

have fun
    Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Linux User
    Welcome!

Hopefully you find our community to be friendly and helpful as you make the transition away from Windoze...
    \"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.\"
    Albert Einstein

Welcome to these boards, hope you are going to enjoy GNU/LInux as much as we doo

welcome to the board dude
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Just Joined!

Bad news

I also recently loaded RH9 back in early November. As of April 24, 2004 Red Hat will no longer support or provide errata updates to RH9. Furthermore, after your free ONE MONTH Subscription to Red Hat Network Expires (WHICH YOU CANNOT RENEW), you will not be able to download any updates. They will also not allow you to renew your Red Hat Network account. What they do is to offer you a half-price upgrade to the BASIC EDITION of Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS which includes a one year subscription to the Red Hat network. You can either download the images for the three CD's and burn them or pay an additioinal $25 for a set of CD's. The offer for half price upgrade expires February 24, 2004

I found out about Red Hats plans after I had bought RH9 and I decided to load it anyway. I thought at the time that I would be able to receive the errata updates through 4/24/2004. However, this is not the case.

Niw if I want to continue using RED HAT I must purchase the UPGRADE. But, according the RH white papers there is no upgrade path from RH9 to the new Enterprise WS. Granted I haven't done all that much in the past month and I probably at the most might loose about 100 emails.

Another alternative is for me to abandon Red Hat and look at another distribution such as Mandrake. Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.