Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Just to put some gas on this onesided thread, I thought I'd put in a twist. If are a M$ pro and can barely telnet or ssh to a linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    flw
    Linux Engineer

Just to put some gas on this onesided thread, I thought I'd put in a twist.

If are a M$ pro and can barely telnet or ssh to a linux box, you must use outside contractors, which are never cheap. Even with a decent book you do not have the luxuary of downtime or a app that is lame to the users or one that you can't get to work.

Just think of integrating a linux email server into a non-linux environment (the people).

Basic steps needed for one using a dirtly net line.

1. Install linux on a box with only needed services and unneeded ports closed. No gui desktop do to performance hit.

2. Basic Networking of linux box. Could be considered part of step 1.

3. Install and correctly configure a firewall or create IPtables correctly.

4. Install and correcty configure some sort of anti-spam app.

5. Install and correctly setup one of the various email servers to include things such as email attachment rules, etc...

6. Install and correctly setup a AV for file attachments and within email itself.

7. Installl and correctly configure a backup system of some sort. Tape or otherwise.

8. This is for the one or more I missed...

The real key in correct configuration and getting the apps to work properly together. Any IT moron witha book can install a app. But get them to run correctly and secure is a whole other level. This is where the linux guru techs make their killing and adds some credence to M$ basic point of total cost during year 1 and 2 with linux.

Basically linux is a more costly choice if you do not have the right IT staff or get them training they need. This along with being willing to accept that there will be some extra bumps anytime you change to new platforms that your staff is not very familar with.

The above is just theory, I believe that it will depend on your company and its real world practice of accepting new technologies along with the possible consequences vs "the dream of linux" from the marketing types.

The players now have teams with marketing dept's, it's no longer just M$ or SCO. Additionally IBM, Novell, HP/Compaq, Dell, Gateway, Visor along with a long list of others (both hardware and software) all are playing on the different teams that seems to grow every week.

Some of the players are just sitting on the bench quitely but have still choosen a side. Most likely so they can quietly change sides if needed.

That's my 2.5 cents.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

FLW i would quote you but you are long winded, so i will just say that none of us would be at this forum if linux was easy right out of the box._ actualy it's a pain in the ass, but fun all the way...( if you have paitciants). though i do agree with what you wrote, and the fact that there are not yet enough in-house linux experts. to keep the support costs down. and only tine will tell...enough i'm tired......pillow here i come.
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Long winded, of course I am. I the anit-short quip answer or opinion guy. or should I go on......
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    i do envy you, i just whish that i had that kind of paitiance
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2