Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: Are you running Fedora Core 1?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 40.00%
  • No

6 60.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Currently using RH9 on my workstation, thinking about installing Fedora on my laptop to see how it works and feels. The rest is all Slackware, on 2 workstations and 5 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Currently using RH9 on my workstation, thinking about installing Fedora on my laptop to see how it works and feels.
    The rest is all Slackware, on 2 workstations and 5 servers.
    ---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

Just Joined!

SW and FC

Hi there.

How do you find Slackware as a W/S and Server?

I must say I have always been *tempted* (It's got that sorta "come and get me" feel about it's name ) by it but never brave enough

What's the install like?

Install is easy.

Still have the installation disks from 1994
    (The one with the 'martian' on the front... 6 cd's)

My first introduction to Linux was with the Slackware Distro back in begin 1994, and I still use it.

It's a do-it-yourself distro. And that is something I prefer. I don't want someone else telling me what to install and what not.

I stripped the full install of all 'server' related items, http,news, bla bla bla, and voila a perfect workstation with X and KDE, or Gnome if you want.
    I find it easier to recompile KDE/Gnome on Slackware then on Red Hat..
    (Also applies to implementing new Kernel releases..)

Try it sometime, You'll love it.
    ---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

Just Joined!
    I have installed FC1 on my laptop. Install went along with no problems, it is on the disk next to WinXP. I used it while on holidays back home for 6 weeks, not a problem. Network PCMCIA card works fine, that card also has a modem in it and that works fine. I have 4 different settings to connect to (because I travel a lot) and all those modem connections work fine and are soo easy to setup.
    I do have problems with Totem.
    I do have problems with sound, when it is not coming from a CD. But it is the first time I have got a linux distro to actually produce sound!
    Samba works fine on it, and mounting nfs drives were no problem either.
    I think it is not too bad to use if you just need something to use and don't have time to set it up (I would like to install Gentoo on it, but just don't have the time).
    The laptop is a no brand P3 1gig with 512mb ram and s3 savage video card.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2