Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi, i am new to world of Linux too. my compaq presario was working fine with win xp proffessional. recently it crashed while running setup and had NTLDR Compressed problem... ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question I am Stuck ....Pls Help!!!!

hi, i am new to world of Linux too. my compaq presario was working fine with win xp proffessional. recently it crashed while running setup and had NTLDR Compressed problem...
    Perforcely, after trying all solutions on net to restore it, i had to format it using turbolinux..the only other os i had at that pt of time....
    Now i have left enough space as free space for win xp while doing partition.
    However, after loading turbolinux, it is not recognising the XP cd as autorun cd..nor it is taking it as bootable just after bios. when accessed through the my computer on turbolinux it is showing its files, however not executing them. I have tried all options like changing boot sequence etc etc..however no solution is found...

while checking here everyone has adviced to install xp first and then linux. However, my laptop is not recognising XP CD at all.

How do i install win XP.???? i am stuck...pls help..

The Windows XP CD is not executable from Linux, but rather from the BIOS. If you change your boot sequence to boot from the CD before the HD, put the CD into the drive, and restart your computer, it should run the CD.

If it does not, then you are not using a bootable CD, and presumably the wrong one.

Just Joined!

Question what is bootable cd?

Thank you for ur prompt reply.
    i have been using this cd of xp for formatting and installing, repairing xp. it has a key and pc use to recognise it and autorun after BIOS. so i presume that is a bootable cd.

however since the NTLDR problem my laptop is not recognising this CD. i also tried XP cds of my friends. its not recognising these cds. so finally i installed turbolinux which it recognised and installed after BIOS.

So, is there any other kind of bootable cd?

awaiting reply

Regards

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Some linux distros will not allow a Windows cd to boot.
    If this machine has a floppy drive and you have access to a Windows machine, you can go to www.bootdisk.com and download and execute the Win98 SE program.
    Then boot with that floppy, and do a "fdisk /mbr", that will allow you to boot your XP cd.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ