Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
My list is really, really long; I've been lucky I haven't had to replace more hardware than I have. Back on the 25Mhz IBM ps/1: I stuck a broken floppy ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

My list is really, really long; I've been lucky I haven't had to replace more hardware than I have.
    Back on the 25Mhz IBM ps/1: I stuck a broken floppy in the drive and part of it stayed inside. Attempted to remove it with needle-nose pliers ... that didn't go so well, the drive was dead (still using the replacement drive in another machine, tho)
    When building my first computer: The hard drive slides in the caddy from the inside of the case, as does the floppy (in that case the floppy did, anyway). So shouldn't the cdrom drive? Power sander, YEAH!!! Seriously, I sanded down the edges of the drive to make it fit. It still worked after that, amazingly.
    Recently: An essential server at work was overheating, and I had to get it back up on the basis of now. I found the problem: You know the plastic frame around the P4 sockets, the ones that you clip the heat sink to? Well, two of the clips had broken. It was attached to the mobo, but the heatsink wouldn't stay on. I ran a couple of rubber bands under the frame (but around, not over, the processor socket) and over the heatsink to hold it in place ... insanely, this hack worked, too, until we could order a replacement frame.

There are more, I'm sure of it, from when I was new to Windows (it was Win95, I was inexperienced but curious, and I was about 11 or 12 years old and lacked common sense), but I don't remember most of them now. I vaguely remember Dad having to reinstall everything a few times, and I remember that only once was it his fault (the rest were mine), but I can't recall exactly what I did. I'll post if they come to mind.

EDIT: Wait, here's another good one. My Dad, when he upgraded, gave me his old AMD Athlon tbird core and a new mobo (the one he had used was dead), along with a few other misc. parts. The mobo detected the processor as 1050 Mhz, and he said that was an error - it was a 1.4Ghz clock, he insisted. Well, I figured out how to change the multiplier (the bus speed was correct), and clocked it to 1.4Ghz. Some time later, I decided to overclock it, and kind of wondered why I couldn't push it past 1540Mhz (I could hit 1600, but it was so unstable it sometimes wouldn't even boot at that point). After running at 1.4Ghz for a couple of years, I was talking to someone, who said normally tbird core Athlons are super overclockable. I got to thinking, and realized Dad calls his 2800+ a 2.8Ghz machine. The default clock was correct: it's a 1050Mhz processor, and he confused this with the 1400+. I'd been running my processor at almost 140% speed for over two years 8D with no problems at all. (I've since slowed that one up a little, although it did so well oc'ed that I never brought it all the way back to the normal clock speed)

The worst:

chmod (root user, me) -Rm /.XAuthority

<i>that's a capital R </i>

Killed the GUI and xserver on my machine; I'm still trying to figure out if the damage is permanant . . .

And, of course, there's the matter of those couple of rambly ...rrunk emails sent

I thought of a new one. When I'm surfing the web I often use my PC in an unusual way. It lives on my sideboard (no room in my flat for a complete work station) so I sometimes stretch my legs underneath there. Sometimes I rest my legs on the sideboard ... sitting in my armchair like this is very comfortable with the keyboard resting on my lap.

However ... My foot sometimes gets caught around the power cables without me realising. If I move my leg in the wrong way it pulls the plug out of the socket, blacking out my box.

This is fun if I happen to be using IRC (which I don't very much now). A convo might be:

fingal - Hi, how're you?
    lady - Good thanks. Are you single?
    fingal - Yes!! Fancy meeting ... <zzzzziizzz: black screen> @#**!!
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Talking Hehe

Quote Originally Posted by fingal
    I thought of a new one. When I'm surfing the web I often use my PC in an unusual way. It lives on my sideboard (no room in my flat for a complete work station) so I sometimes stretch my legs underneath there. Sometimes I rest my legs on the sideboard ... sitting in my armchair like this is very comfortable with the keyboard resting on my lap.

However ... My foot sometimes gets caught around the power cables without me realising. If I move my leg in the wrong way it pulls the plug out of the socket, blacking out my box.

This is fun if I happen to be using IRC (which I don't very much now). A convo might be:

fingal - Hi, how're you?
    lady - Good thanks. Are you single?
    fingal - Yes!! Fancy meeting ... <zzzzziizzz: black screen> @#**!!

Couldnt help laughing at this.. the amount of times this happens to me... but its the keyboards fault that happens.. the cables pretty taught, and pulls right up against the PSU cable.. move keyboard *pwozzzzzz* bummer... fixed it now though, you cant beat duct-tape.. if that cant fix it, nothing can.

Edit:

Thought of a good bodge we did with a Dell PE6400 here at work!
    We kept losing the raid config on the disk's (y'know the good old raid cache battery had died) being nearly 3 and a half years old, anyhoo, they no longer make the model of raid card, or produce the batteries for them. So me and tim got a-thinking its only a 3.5volt nimh battery, so we made one. Just took 3 aaa nimh rechargeables and some nitfy soldering, it still worked till this day, though it recently got fried due to someone changing the cache memory on it without disconnecting the battery, made a good smell + noise though...

Just Joined!
    I was working for a security company building bsd firewalls when one of our clients had a computer he wanted put behind the firewall. He moved the computer and I reconfigured to firewall to add his ip and services. When I couldnt see the computer I tried redoing the box remotely 6 times (a few hours of work) then drove to the clients site to get physical access when I broke the whole OS trying different things to get it to work.

The dumbest thing: finding out when I got there that I forgot to tell the customer to turn the computer on again once he swapped the patch cables properly.....I drove 6 hours to get to the site...and then had to tell him what happened.....humiliating

Doing a stunt, powering up a whole PC without any case, like alot of local technicians do here.. But I didn't notice there's a screw at the bottom of my motherboard. It's on for a while... I smell the sense of victory and bliss... but there's this crackling noise coming out from my motherboard then all i smell is burnt board. *sigh*

My neighbous and I spent hours trying to figure out why his new plug n play joypad would configue/calibrate until we finally figured out that we hadn't plugged it in.

This was years ago btw
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5