Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Originally Posted by jasonlambert I decided to drop it, as its not really very busy, and windows is closed source software. I would rather concentrate the board on GNU/Linux (thats ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by jasonlambert
    I decided to drop it, as its not really very busy, and windows is closed source software. I would rather concentrate the board on GNU/Linux (thats what we are about )
    Understandable. It was nice having a place to go for a little Windows help, but I guess I cant argue.

WB, hotwheelz.

Windows help 101:

1) Install Linux
    2) Move all important files to Linux partition
    3) Remove Windows and all it's constituent parts

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by sarumont
    WB, hotwheelz.

Windows help 101:

1) Install Linux
    2) Move all important files to Linux partition
    3) Remove Windows and all it's constituent parts

As an avid gamer, thats not the most realistic choice. Wish it was, but I just dont see myself using Linux only.

Most of my interest comes from being in the Network Systems Administration program at the college and knowing that I will need to learn Linux at some point. Might as well play around with it now and learn slowly, then have to learn quick in a class.

No offense towards Linux or Linux users, but at the moment Windows is my OS of choice

EDIT: I still am not sure why Phlak wont install. I get the blank screen with only a penguin in the corner and a flashing thing. Thats it. I went to the site and read the documentation and FAQ, and saw nothing about it.

The only other Linux distro I have is Red Hat and I dont want to install that. What distro do you guys recommend me downloading and trying out?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    /me remembers the thread we had discussing gaming and the like.

In answer to your question: check the forums. There are many topics on distros and pros/cons from pretty much all of our users on their picks for best distro.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by sarumont
    /me remembers the thread we had discussing gaming and the like.

In answer to your question: check the forums. There are many topics on distros and pros/cons from pretty much all of our users on their picks for best distro.
    Aw yes, searching the forums. I seem to remember being told to do that

Hotwheelz
    I liked your thread...cause it was wild and out of contrtoll ...it was evolving outside the box....
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

What distro do you guys recommend me downloading and trying out?
    well i havent got the full install done by a long shot but me and a few other fairly new to linux ppl ( used a distro once) are installing gentoo. i think just for the hell of it....and to learn ....... it's interesting.....doing it from scratch
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by loft306
    What distro do you guys recommend me downloading and trying out?
    well i havent got the full install done by a long shot but me and a few other fairly new to linux ppl ( used a distro once) are installing gentoo. i think just for the hell of it....and to learn ....... it's interesting.....doing it from scratch
    Is the install pretty straightforward? I dont want something thats too difficult that I accidentally screw up and delete stuff on other partitions.

Linux Engineer
    it's easy *if* you follow the well-written instructions on the gentoo site... the docs are quite explicit... i managed to install a stage1 on the first try... and i had only used SuSE, RedHat and Mandrake before that...
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by lordnothing
    it's easy *if* you follow the well-written instructions on the gentoo site... the docs are quite explicit... i managed to install a stage1 on the first try... and i had only used SuSE, RedHat and Mandrake before that...
    Sounds good to me. I think I can follow some instructions

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast