Find the answer to your Linux question:
Well, another typical day at the office sponsored by MS and Bill 'if it's not bust fix it 'til it is' Gates. My 'roaming profile' on our Windows NT server ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

A mini-rant

Well, another typical day at the office sponsored by MS and Bill 'if it's not bust fix it 'til it is' Gates. My 'roaming profile' on our Windows NT server system has been corrupted, and I've lost every single file that was ever useful to me. IT services are contracted out to another organisation, and this is costing us 10s of 1000s of £s a year, but they can't be arsed to bother with me... I'm just one end user in a cast of 1000s: who cares if I can't do my job properly because my files are shot?

Uncle Bill has just been knighted for services rendered to British commerce (see above for the kind of service I'm getting). Who's next? The CEO of McDonalds or perhaps of a major oil company

In a few months we will be relocating to another building, and guess which super-dooper operating system we'll all be using. That's right! Windows XP... known all over the planet for it's stability and bug free interaction. I think Mr. Gates should receive *another* knighthood, but this time can I hold the sword...?

End of Rant - Thanks for reading
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Dont mean to be rude but if you didnt backup its your own fault you lost your files, you should always have a backup of anything you value!! Let this be a lesson to you all :P nah ive been in exactly the same situation but never again. And if its up to your IT deparment to backup files i would have a word with the boss about them if he values his job/company he will do something. I never understand companys like that its like keeping your companys invoices on one disk

Ah well, it **is** the IT dept's. job to back up the server files (which is where mine were stored... nothing on my C:\ drive). And as for telling my boss, he can't (or won't) do anything about it because of the contracted out IT services mentioned. In fact, no-one is prepared to stick their neck out and do anything: for this they get paid obscenely large salaries and I get hot under the collar. It's a rip off baby!
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    That Sucks. We are responsible for backing up the user data here as well. If the User's machine dies no biggie all of their files are up here on a server. AND if something happens to the server... We have DLT tapes that are made every night.

I don't know how big your company is but as fas as I'm concerned ANY company should have some sort of simple back up plan. It looks like it was at least thought about because they do have a server for you to store your files on but they should still be backing that server up as well.

Just my 2 cents

Yes, I agree 100% with what you say. I'm still fairly new at Linux, though I've read a few books and I'm beginning to think about networks and security issues. I'm losing my newbie status bit by bit. I think that a lot of quite large organisations have a shocking lack of insight into their own IT issues: security, making adequate backups etc.

Here, we have an IT dept. that has to work with a contracted-out IT company (this is quite common in the UK). Communication is poor, and basically we are a public organisation. Taxpayer's money is being sucked into paying for something that barely works properly, and it's all Windows based. If I could push a button and make them use GNU/Linux or UNIX I'd do it. And I'd send them all back to school to learn about providing a decent service. I'd also like all of you to find out what goes on behind the scenes because you're not going to believe it from me

Fingal....... wana barrow my sword?
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Linux Guru
    I know a friend who works at Pfizer, and their IT department it out-sourced as well. She never has anything positive to say about it either (it seems rather more like what you describe it as, fingal), so it seems that out-sourced IT departments are to be considered evil from statistical evidence.

Can't you convince your boss to hire a real admin instead? It seems it would be beneficial to the company, after all.

I can't understand why any company would out-source IT. Just from what has been said here, it's plain to see that you have problems with a company that provides IT to many other companies. If you had your own in-house IT dept., they would always be accessible and the boss could *make* them do their jobs well.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I think what you have all said is quite rational (though I don't always feel that way myself ) which is why I don't understand why these things often don't happen. My dream: a completely independent IT department running something nice and stable and, dare I say it, fun to use? (Never underestimate the importance of fun!! It makes things memorable and easier to learn) .

The department would develop their own in house solutions using the open source model of sharing code, best practice and continual improvement... The so called 'crystal box' model instead of the 'black box' one used by Mr Gates and co. There is actually a lot of talent where I work, but it's as though people are not free to use that. They work within a system which traps them and stifles their abilities.

Yes loft306, I would like to borrow your sword

The problem with working for large organisations it this: common sense disappears more quickly than ice in Summer and you are left with a really bad feeling. I'm seriously thinking about self employment