Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3457823.stm Linux cyber-battle turns nasty Reporter on link above is implying that gnu/linux/open source movement is behind the mydoom virus. If it gets your goat please use the feedback form ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Linux cyber-battle turns nasty

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3457823.stm

Linux cyber-battle turns nasty
    Reporter on link above is implying that gnu/linux/open source movement is behind the mydoom virus.

If it gets your goat please use the feedback form to let the BBC know.

Ta.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Linux Guru
    I posted the following to them, and it would be good if others would do the same.
    As a Linux user, I am sorry to say that I have to agree with the author of this article that it is likely that a Linux zealot indeed has created the MyDoom virus.

However, I cannot help feeling a bit enraged by the fact that the author seems to blame the entire Open Source community for the creation of this virus. It is, of course, true that there is a part of the community that thinks very similarly to what the author describes, which is a regrettable fact, but there is not much to do about it. However, the majority of the Open Source community "members" (quotation marks, since there is, of course, no formal registration or entry into this community), are friendly users, who do not seek to crush, kill and destroy our enemies. Most of us seek instead towards interoperability and friendlyness, even with users of proprietary and closed-source products.

All in all, I just wanted to say that it's not very nice of the author of the mentioned article to dress everyone in the Open Source community in the clothes of religious zealots and potential cyber-terrorists. I would very much appreciate a change in the given article.

I did post a response, and I think the BBC will pay attention if enough people do the same thing
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Linux Engineer
    Judging by the number of replies to this topic on slashdot I'd expect the Beeb's servers to be under a bit of strain at the moment
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Linux Newbie
    I remember a few years ago when we had all the school shootings. I would turn the TV on and what would I see? Video of kids with baggy pants. Kids that looked out of the ordinary. It seemed that they were tagging kids with baggy pants, who were not the popular ones, etc. as those that would commit crimes like this.

Same thing is happening here. You take a group of people that this guy knows nothing about (Linux users) and thinks you guys (maybe me, soon) are a band of pirate-like people who cause harm for fun. Its far from the truth, and its sad that people dont take time to see past the stereotypes

Just Joined!
    Response posted to BBC website:

I have been looking at the article "Cyber Battle Turns Nasty" for a while now. This article appears to blame open-source as a whole for the MyDoom virus. That is not the case. There is one individual, or a team of individuals that created this particular virus. The intent of the virus as we see it now is clearly an attack on SCO and other mediums. However, with a Windows Virus you see people blaming the individual vs. the community as a whole as it seems implied by the article posted here. I don't think that is a fair blanket statement.

This article puts a stereotype into place that all open-source people hate MS/SCO, and what they stand for. This is not the case. Each have their place and many people understand that. It seems as though the actions of one person or persons have tainted your perspective on this and skewed your objectivity to a degree.

Open-sourcers as a whole are not destructive. We are learning from our open source coding to make things better, or to make things suit our needs. I think that this article does not take that into account. It appears as though the article is a blanket statement that all of us in a way are to blame for this.

This may not be the authors intention. This may be merely how his words sound when put to virtual paper. Just like any other medium interpretation is everything.

There are virus writers that are open-source I have no doubt of that. There are just as many that are writing virus programming on a windows machine as well. I think that the article would read differently if the target were microsoft. Then it would pointed at an individual/individuals vs. a community as a whole.

Linux Newbie
    hay does the mydoom cause damage to your pc? and does it work on lin?
    Thanks v much

\"Anything bigger than my ego i want it caught and killed\"- Zaphod Beeblebrox

Multi boot:
    Win xp home, SuSE 8.2 and Slackware 9.1

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotwheelz
    Its far from the truth, and its sad that people dont take time to see past the stereotypes:(
    I think the worst thing is the fact that things like these actually do stamp this kind of stereotype onto a member of the open-source community. That is what we need to root out by stating the opposite as publically as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by mad_red_hatter
    hay does the mydoom cause damage to your pc? and does it work on lin?
    I'm terribly sorry if it may sound as if I'm ridiculing youm but are you really serious? If you are, the answers are no, and no (in fact, it's probably healthy for you PC, since it damages Windoze... ;-) ).

Linux Newbie
    yap serious
    so it does nothing... so whats the prob? it is only harming windoze and billy so i would encourage everyone to get it ^_^
    Thanks v much

\"Anything bigger than my ego i want it caught and killed\"- Zaphod Beeblebrox

Multi boot:
    Win xp home, SuSE 8.2 and Slackware 9.1

actually all the mydoom virus does is get every windows computer that is infected with it to run dos attacks against sco.com it started on the first of feb and i think it stops on feb 12th but not 100% sure on that
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast