Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I saw this a while ago at a forum I occasionally peruse. I thought it was terrible people are subjected to these sort of things... much less: they consider it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Windows format

I saw this a while ago at a forum I occasionally peruse. I thought it was terrible people are subjected to these sort of things... much less: they consider it a great idea.
    And for the record, I am a big big fan of bi-anual drive formating and fresh OS and Software installs. I have a little notebook with the best install orders and I can usually do the whole thing in about 3 hours. I think that is a good investment of time considering the stabilty it seems to afford in regular applications.
    Yikes. Seems like windows has warped some peoples ideas of what is standard operating maintenance....

Linux Newbie
    wow...I know one person that left his Linux workstation online for over 1300 days...I'm not good at math but its well over 2 years. Everytime I saw it, I went on it and noticed that it wasn't any slower than the last time... I'm sure some professionally hosted servers are even better :P

Linux Engineer
    Well, let's just say that I'm just fed up with this notion of Windows being better than Linux. I remember someone at work actually said "Linux is not better than Windows. People are just jealous." Of course this person was full of sh*t but I was just amazed how dumb a person can be.

I also have friends who think Linux is crap and they don't want anything to do with it. They praise Microsoft and how well their servers are. Of course once I tell them about how more stable Linux is, they simply shrug and say that since 95% of companys run Windows, it's better. The way I see it, Linux is going to slowly creep up and unless you can adapt in this industry, you might as well be depracted old techincian.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Engineer
    Windows on servers are getting much better, the original blue-screen dont appear so often anymore. But they still have a bunch of things that are making them not as good as linux.

They coast much more then linux
    They arent as stable as linux
    Every apllication for them coast a fortune
    They are not as secure as linux

The thing that windows lovers says is that with AD they should need fewer administrators and that linux servers needs more administrators to get the things stable and running...is a lot of B**-Sh**. Im admin 100 linux servers by my self but the windows guys are a wholw team for the same ammount of servers......
    Regards

Andutt

Linux Newbie
    I take offense to people thinking those who believe Windows is better than Linux are dumb. The fact is, Windows is more user friendly than Linux. Throw your average computer user on a Linux machine and they cant use it. Now which do you think they will believe is better? The one they can use or the one they cant? They arent dumb. Linux just hasnt made is self realistic for the average user.

Don't forget, though, that Linux is derived from Unix and is really just the kernel of the OS. You need to be thinking about the Gnu apps. which give Linux it's functionality. These have no warranty attached to them. Some of them are rubbish, others are excellent.

I'm not an expert, but IMHO you can't compare Windows all that well with Linux. When did you last see the source code for a Windows kernel so that you could compare?

I've migrated from Windows to Gnu/Linux and I think the idea of being 'user friendly' depends on how much time and interest you would be prepared to put into learning about Linux. Okay, it takes a lot longer. On the other hand, it's more rewarding to use if you do plenty of reading and have phun using it .

And what about 'freedom'? Windows ties you to parting with a big heap of money for the rest of your life and you don't get to fiddle with any source code <shame>.

Anyway, that's my little piece. Feel free to diagree (but no flaming please).
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotwheelz
    Throw your average computer user on a Linux machine and they cant use it. Now which do you think they will believe is better? The one they can use or the one they cant? They arent dumb. Linux just hasnt made is self realistic for the average user.
    It's the monopoly that MS has that has made it that way. IMO Suse and Xandros and others are just as user friendly as Windows. It's just that people are brought up using Windows. Whenever I log onto XP and want to do something like changing the monitor resolution I feel a bit sheepish cos I've forgotten.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Does anyone on this forum use ONLY linux as an os? Cos one of my lecturers actually said this week that he feels that anyone that uses just linux is stupid! And he was slating it sayin it has no practical use in the home basically. I see this as a load of ****! I would use ONLY linux as an os, the main reason i don't at the moment is cos of the gaming issues (as in u can't very easily) I spend VERY little time in Windows now, and io think Linux IS better than windows and i only had it a month!!

Linux Engineer
    I use linux at home exclusively except for the odd game which won't run under wine(x) and for mediajukebox which I use to burn cds and create cd labels. (I paid for the app so I'm gonna get my moneys worth )

Aside from that It's linux all the way.

Next pc I get will be 100% linux.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Well, I didn't intend this to become linux vs. Win, just thought it was a crazy thing to do, but:
    And he was slating it sayin it has no practical use in the home basically.
    I don't play a whole lot of games, so games made for linux do fine for me. Other than that, there is nothing Win does the linux can't do (at least I've never found anything). I use linux at home exclusively, does just fine for me. I'm surprised to hear a teacher trolling like that....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast