Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
rcgreen I never intended to be logged in all the time. I was just looking to log in to fix a few things. I truly hate editing files from the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

rcgreen

I never intended to be logged in all the time. I was just looking to log in to fix a few things. I truly hate editing files from the command line. And yes you are indeed right about the command line in Windows, however that is all but gone. I've worked with numerous administrators for Windows and I've never seen a single one use the command line.

Thinker

If you really want to use make use of all the advantages that GNU/Linux provides, you have to know and understand the shell.
    Well like I said, for me, that's the problem not the solution.

What one needs is patience and of course, interest to learn anything.
    If I had the kind of time it takes, I would have learned it already. Which brings me and others back to my original problem, if I knew all the commands I wouldn't want to log into a gui. But I do appreciate your telling me how to fix it at least, it was a nice gesture. I can at least perform a chmod command to gain access and fix the gui login. I do know that much.

Thank you again.

Linux User
    Hi All,
    rcgreen:I believe you can log on to your linux system as a normal
    user in the GUI, and when you need to perform an administrative
    task, it asks for the root password. The best of both worlds.
    You can administer the system from the GUI (it gets better
    every day), while not spending all your time logged in
    as root.
    blueskip:I never intended to be logged in all the time. I was just looking to log in to fix a few things.
    Then why configure GUI login for root? When logged in as an ordinary user in GUI, many of the fixes can be done after entering the root password when the appliction in question requests you to enter the root password.

Once, logged in as an ordinary user, if you find some configuration changes to be made, are you going to log out every now and then to log in as root to do it?

I never said that I am against GUI. I was only stressing on the point that a direct login to GUI for root user is not required and can create problems if you are careless.

But I do appreciate your telling me how to fix it at least, it was a nice gesture.
    Anytime, friend.

But try putting some more effort in learning more about commands and scripting, if in case you get time. You will find it very useful later.

With Regards,
    Thinker

Just Joined!
    I'm as much against staying logged on in the gui as root as I am against staying logged on as administrator in Windows. I just view it as being very similar (although in Windows it makes little diffference what your logged on as when it comes to security ) I just think it's nice to be able to login as root in a gui environment is all.

You guys have been helpful and it's been a great discussion but I have work to do. (I'll try to learn more commands ) Later.

Just Joined!
    Once, logged in as an ordinary user, if you find some configuration changes to be made, are you going to log out every now and then to log in as root to do it?
    Yes. That is what I intended.

Just Joined!

Exclamation Welcome to YOUR version of Wonderful Windows

[QUOTE=blueskip]I stick by what I said. If you disagree I can live with that.

Well, I think we ALL disagree with you, and I am about to make YOU disagree with your self.

Quote:
    You can do everything you need to do from the gui in Windows.
    End Quote:

WRONG :
    With the New Release canadite of Windows Vista,
    ADMINISTRATOR can no longer long into console, unless in safe mood, the same thing with debian, you canot long in unles you either edit the security file or shutdown to safe mood/edit mode, or su via terminal.

Plus the new security feature, is to even move files to trash, you have to enter the admin password, to do any file changes, etc.. to even delete a file from the hd through cmd prompt..

Quote:
    I'm sorry to dissapoint you but I honestly cannot remember the last blue screen I had in Windows. It's really been that long. I do have to reboot more often with Windows though, I'll give you that.
    End Quote:

Just wait till you see vista, and you will get to see them all over again.

Just Joined!
    Debian2000_24 I'm not using Vista (as I suppose few are at this point), and further, I have no intentions on ever starting. I've had enough of Windows "improvements" already with the 300 megs of windows "security updates" on XP that seem to only open up new holes.

Again I say that it is a step backward to remove the GUI for root. (my opinion)

With the New Release canadite of Windows Vista,
    ADMINISTRATOR can no longer long into console, unless in safe mood, the same thing with debian, you canot long in unles you either edit the security file or shutdown to safe mood/edit mode, or su via terminal.

Plus the new security feature, is to even move files to trash, you have to enter the admin password, to do any file changes, etc.. to even delete a file from the hd through cmd prompt..
    But again even in safe mode you CAN still log in. It's still a GUI. Windows will not drop the GUI. If you're under the impression MS will, I can assure you, you are mistaken. You show me no evidence to the contrary, so I must still disagree. It just sounds to me like they emulated the way Knoppix and many other distros used to work. From safe mode you can still get network access. It's just a GUI without VXD drivers and some other precautions. So it's just not pretty, BUT it's still a GUI.

I'm not sure ALL disagree with me, (although I'm sure some do) or there wouldn't be others besides me searching this forum for the way to do it. There are other threads besides this one on this topic that I didn't start here and other places online. For example...
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/kno...ght=Root+login
    __________________________________________________ ____________

Disagreement is human nature. If there were only one way to do things, life would be pretty boring.
    Last edited by budman7; 07-26-2006 at 06:23 PM.

blueskip with respect you really ought to read linux != windows and rute the latter is essential reading for newbies and long time users
    free/libre/open software for the people by the people
    Linux user #185360

Just Joined!
    If you really want the security and performance of a Unix-based OS but with a customer-focussed attitude and an world-renowned interface: Buy an Apple Mac. OS X is great. But don't get Linux: It will not do what you want it to do.

It's not just about "Why should I want Linux?". It's also about "Why should Linux want me?"
    That's just assinine. Linspire is a GREAT linux OS. UNFORTUNATELY you login as root when using it. I don't care for that. I do want a GUI when I'm in root however. Knoppix, Debian, and just about u-name-it worked that way for a long time. If you don't like my opinion that using the GUI is better... GREAT! (because I don't mind at all) But don't sit there and try to force yours (not to login to a GUI) down my throat. I don't need to read 13 pages of assinine Linux opinion from people who really SHOULDN'T be writing opinions of Linux to form my own opinion, whether MY OWN opinion is assinine itself, or not.

The GUI was invented to use. Windows is a success because of it. Face facts. I don't expect Linux to be Windows. I do however expect it to be an OS I CAN ACTUALLY OPERATE AND USE or else it's a peice of trash software to me and everyone else.

Linux is not interested in market share. Linux does not have customers. Linux does not have shareholders, or a responsibility to the bottom line. Linux was not created to make money. Linux does not have the goal of being the most popular and widespread OS on the planet.
    Tell that to Redhat, Mandrake, SuSE, etc. I'm sure they'll point out rather quickly that is a blatent lie. Not only does Redhat have shareholders, they have a responsibility to the bottom line. They create and update their flavor as do the others with the intention of selling customer support and gaining marketshare EVERYDAY. FYI The article you asked me to read is chock full of misleading stuff like this. That's why I called it assinine. It is.

Moving to the Coffee Lounge. This is more a discussion than a query.

Just Joined!
    Freespire turns out to be the answer. It's an excellent distro with no real gripes from me. It is easy to configure to use a gui for root. It doesn't login as root by default. This is the perfect OS for me in Linux that I've tried so far. It now has click and run for free so installing packages is a snap. It's fairly up to date on the freespire servers and has most any app that the average user would need. I installed it,opened firefox and toggled the IPV6 to disable and I'm off and running in minutes. I'm very happy with this OS. I'm downloading Ubuntu in hopes I'll like it but I don't like past versions so it's unlikely. It's got too many quirks that the folks at Freespire have worked out. If you're a windows user Freespire is the answer to switching you've been waiting for. It's more like Windows than any other version of Linux I've tried.

KUDO's to Linspire on the Freespire release!!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast