Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
If anyone can point out where or how to enable this in the GDM, could they please advise? I looked for this and never found it. It would be most ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't login in as root on any GUI

If anyone can point out where or how to enable this in the GDM, could they please advise? I looked for this and never found it. It would be most helpful.

Linux User
    Hi blueskip,
    You can login to Gnome as root by editing the /etc/gdm.conf file.

Now, after opening gdm.conf, you will find the following line in the [Security] section : -

[security]
    AllowRoot=false
    AllowRemoteRoot=false
    # This will allow remote timed login
    AllowRemoteAutoLogin=false
    etc . . . . .
    Change only AutoRoot=false to AutoRoot=true and leave everything else as it was before. You should now be able to login as root into Gnome.

But, I will recommend you not to login as root into Gnome. Command line interface is the best place for root.

With Regards,
    Thinker

Just Joined!
    Thanks, much appreciated.

Linux User
    Hi blueskip,
    I have a question for you. Why do you want to login as root directly?

It is not at all the right way and is in fact, not at all needed!

With Regards,
    Thinker

Just Joined!
    Your right it's not needed, it's easier. I feel like people spent perfectly good time making a gui for me or anyone else to use and I prefer to do any system work from a gui. It's a pain in the butt to go back to the command line when that has been made available. Windows is so popular because there are NO commands. You can do everything you need to do from the gui in Windows. The command line is what is killing linux in every distro out there. Nobody using Windows likes it. I am converting from Windows and I hate it with a passion. It's 99.9% of what's taken me so long to convert. The first distro that completely eliminates it will erase Windows overnight. I personally can't fathom why you wouldn't want to use something easier. To me that's like asking why I wouldn't want to use a horse to plow 1000 acres instead of a tractor.

Just the facts.

Linux User
    Hi blueskip,

I feel like people spent perfectly good time making a gui for me or anyone else to use . . .
    The people who made the distribution have tried to prevent the logging in as root directly for definite security reasons. You saw that the option was in the security section of /etc/gdm.conf
    The command line is what is killing linux in every distro out there.
    Command line does not kill any distribution! You are terribly mistaken here.

It is so unfortunate that you really do not understand the power of command-line shells. Lot of the activities that you "think" you can do easily on GUI can be much easily done in command line.

You can do everything you need to do from the gui in Windows.
    Sure, you can do everything to see the "Blue Screen" in Windows.

I personally can't fathom why you wouldn't want to use something easier.
    Please do refrain from such thoughts!

Just the facts.
    I believe that was a joke.

Much of the so-called "facts" that you mentioned in the post, will unnecessarily pull people in this forum into arguments so, please try not to post such "facts".

With Regards,
    Thinker

Just Joined!
    I stick by what I said. If you disagree I can live with that.

Quote:
    You can do everything you need to do from the gui in Windows.

Quote:
    Sure, you can do everything to see the "Blue Screen" in Windows.

I'm sorry to dissapoint you but I honestly cannot remember the last blue screen I had in Windows. It's really been that long. I do have to reboot more often with Windows though, I'll give you that.

Quote:
    Command line does not kill any distribution! You are terribly mistaken here.

I'm afraid you really need to do some reading through forums that are loaded with people who hate linux from having tried it. It's the NUMBER ONE complaint by far and wide. I'm sorry if you disagree with the numbers but if you can disprove what I'm saying I am more than willing to listen. I don't hate linux and I would LOVE to see it use far more widely than it is. But when the developers make it harder to use not easier, in my humble opinion that's a step backwards. You think the command line is great because I would guess you fluent with it's use. It makes a HUGE difference when you don't have oodles of time to learn the commands to install stuff. You guys keep saying it's so easy but I've been tinkering with linux for going on two years now picking up things as I have time, and I'm still groping in the dark at times. It's annoying at best.

I'm not arguing with you. just stating my opinion and what I've read from others. (not here) I really do like linux. It's come a LONG way from where it was. But the command line is what is holding it back, whether you believe or not. And I mean absolutely no offense to you by that.

Just Joined!

Wink

"I personally can't fathom why you wouldn't want to use something easier."

"Please do refrain from such thoughts!"

LOL I did mean the GUI not Windows there. I hope you didn't think THAT's what I meant! I can definately see reasons to use Linux over Windows, I'm just one of the Windows users still stuck in the rut. But at least I'm trying to get out.

Linux User
    Hi blueskip,
    "I personally can't fathom why you wouldn't want to use something easier."

"Please do refrain from such thoughts!"

LOL I did mean the GUI not Windows there. I hope you didn't think THAT's what I meant!
    I did mean what I said. I do not find any problems with command-line shell.

If you really want to use make use of all the advantages that GNU/Linux provides, you have to know and understand the shell.

It makes a HUGE difference when you don't have oodles of time to learn the commands to install stuff. You guys keep saying it's so easy but I've been tinkering with linux for going on two years now picking up things as I have time, and I'm still groping in the dark at times. It's annoying at best.
    What one needs is patience and of course, interest to learn anything.

There is no point in trying to explain anything. It will just waste my time.

With Regards,
    Thinker

I worked on cars for 20 yeary, and one of the funniest moments
    was when an owner had run his car without oil (or did i read it in
    a story?). The mechanic reproved him, "didn't you see the oil light?'
    and the owner says, "you mean the 'gravy boat'?" (you from the
    south will know what a gravy boat is.

The oil pressure warning light is an icon intended to look
    like an antique oil can (or is that an alladin's lamp?) Whatever,
    If it had the word OIL, it would communicate better, but
    try telling that to the designers.

Windows still has a command line, in recognition of the fact
    that a simple command can take you through several steps
    and, in fact, be faster. You get the best of both worlds. In
    fact they were planning a new improved command line shell
    but have shelved it because of time constraints.

I believe you can log on to your linux system as a normal
    user in the GUI, and when you need to perform an administrative
    task, it asks for the root password. The best of both worlds.
    You can administer the system from the GUI (it gets better
    every day), while not spending all your time logged in
    as root. BTW, I spent a lot of time as root in my early days,
    until I began to feel comfortable. Most new users probably
    feel the same.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast