Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
i've been trying to acces some sites that use flash player 7, and when i cant enter, i go to the flash download page, but the only version available is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Macromedia cutting linux out?

i've been trying to acces some sites that use flash player 7, and when i cant enter, i go to the flash download page, but the only version available is flash 7.

i did some research and it seems that linux has been in the dark since last year when it comes to new flash releases, and adobe/macromedia keep stalling the realease of a linux version.

is there any alternative to macromedia's crap? i really need something to work as a substitute because the number of flash 8 sites is growing rapidly.

There are a few alternatives, but most are only up to the level of Flash 4 or 5 unfortunately. The next release of flash for linux was to be 8.5, but this release will now be Flash 9.0. Strangely you can download betas of all of the Flex products except flash. This is a bit of a nuisance alright. I've missed a few front page Diggs because of this! Anyway, although officially the release time hasn't been announced yet it is rumoured to be next January. This is pretty strange. Considering Adobe bought Macromedia, and Adobe were starting to be pretty good with linux support...(Remember Adobe Reader 7 was out for Linux before Windows).

only january?

crap!

well, i have the flash problem partialy solved by using the windows version of firefox emulated with wine. working fine for now, but its a shame that it has come to this.

dont know if its worth it but i'm gonna complain to their tech support. interesting that they dont even consider any open source operating systems when selecting the os field

http://clientes.netvisao.pt/alynnsut/adobe_bs.png

I'd always been under the impression that Macromedia were at best grudgingly supporting Linux because they couldn't maintain their dominant position without it - people like the BBC, who have a massive website, use a fair bit of Flash, and they wouldn't keep using it if it were tied to a single platform.

I'd expected things to change when Adobe got hold of them - better coverage of Linux but worse tech-support from the bigger organisation. Time will tell, but there's still no sign of 64 bit support for Flash on any horizon soon, and when you consider the breadth of platforms they're covering, then it's no surprise that things get delayed.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

I believe the 64bit versions are in development for version 9, so expect those next january also. In the meantime apparently Gnash is almost at flash 7 compatability. Some flash seven sites don't display properly. Personally this is still not up to par though they are doing great work. I can use the original Flash to guarantee this level of compatability.

As bigtomrodney said, take a look at GNASH. It is still only in alpha, and the sound doesn't work (there are in the process of switching to gstreamer), but it looks like it will be great in the future. The FSF has made it a top priority.
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

The macromedia flash player for Linux is made for a Mozilla browser. When I upgraded my Opera browser its macromedia flash player disappeared. So now both my Konqueror and Opera browsers are without flash players; which turns out to be a very good thing for me because Yahoo can not bombard my eyesight with flash advertisements anymore.

Now I have to use my Mozilla browser to watch Mark Fiore's animations. Not a very big deal. I will do just about anything to keep from using Windows on the Internet and getting Hijacked Again!!

Bad news - Flash 9 for windows has just been released. No sign of Linux, Mac, or any other Unix flash being available yet.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast