Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
hey ho steve my computers are aries.linuxmod.co.uk - server hera.linuxmod.co.uk - laptop apollo.linuxmod.co.uk - main rig mercury.linuxmod.co.uk - access point mars.linuxmod.co.uk - cisco 2590 switch xena.linuxmod.co.uk - system development box ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

hey ho steve

my computers are

aries.linuxmod.co.uk - server
    hera.linuxmod.co.uk - laptop
    apollo.linuxmod.co.uk - main rig
    mercury.linuxmod.co.uk - access point
    mars.linuxmod.co.uk - cisco 2590 switch
    xena.linuxmod.co.uk - system development box - where i test all me scripts
    zeus.linuxmod.co.uk - firewall, although it got cooked the other day due to b0rked psu

Yo Joel!! U not gave me any ideas tho have u! I know what ur computers are called!

Hi sdousley. Why not name them after Yorkshire Dales as you live in Sheffield?

Wensleydale, Swaledale and Teesdale? Etc...
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    That's an interesting one! But i'm not actually from Sheffield, I'm from Northampton, just at uni here!

Currently my box is ns1 (my DNS inside the HAN ("Home Area Network" - I belive I've invented that word, haven't seen it any where) ns1.home.loc and www.home.loc))

But before I made it the DNS and WWW server in my HAN, it was called:
    centralplexus and centralnexus (don't remember when I changed or which I had first), if you don't know what the Central Nexus and Central Plexus is, just watch Star Trek Voyager, and see all the Borg episodes (or google. one is like "bringing order to caos","sorting out irrevelent thougts")

sdousley here is a few sugestions:
    • 3of5, 7of9, etc (borg designations)
    • Voyager, Defiant, Deepspace9, DetlaFlyer, etc (Star Trek ship names)
    • Tuvok, Spock, Riker, James, Kathryn, Uhura, Scotty, Kahless (etc guess... )
    • Here is some just brain storm output: Aura, Thorium, Deuterium, echelon, Gort, Terminator, Morpheus, Hypnos, (Pallas)Athena, Oden, Tor (swedish spelling of Thor), Hugin, Mumin, Loke (I think Luke is the enlish name), Vinland (the vikings name of northen America), Grackus, Brackus, Ceasar, Augustus, Bruto, Necronomicon, Newcrombicon, Prio, Largo, Ping, Dom, Junpei, L337_D00d, Phaser, Disruptor, Painstick, Laser, sakura (cherry blossom), katana, bushi (warrior), Fu (wind), Daikatana, , Ichi (1), Ippon, Ka (fire), Neko (cat), Oni (deamon, monster), digitalis, McGuffin, Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, Tjakovski, Tourniquet, Milk, Toast, Egg, Bacon, Poirot, MrsMarple, Dolphin, Nautilus, Whale, Puma, Tiger, Mammoth, Mummie, UncleOwen, George, Avalon, Alice, Lisa, Julia (or Juliette), January, February, Mars, etc
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.

Okay, if we have to have a fantasy theme here, why not be inspired by the Sandman series of graphic novels published by Vertigo? (And no, I don't work for them)... Destiny, Desire, Morpheus, Death (that could be your Windows machine) Delirium... Even if you don't do this you still get a good read and something interesting to look at.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Linux User
    Mine are super boring, Workstation and Router. You people have inspired me though, give me a couple of days and I'll have something. I'll have to restart my router, again, but I've already given up trying to get a long uptime on it

Just Joined!

hostnames

my hostnames are normally random names like karl, steve or lenny

sometimes ex girlfriends...

I have used the band members of Phish before (trey, jon, mike, paige)

currently my home machine is oprah and my server is steven

my lab follows the [schoolname][roomnumber]-[computernumber] sequence

good times.

Linux Newbie
    my host name is THE_REAL_WORLD

Linux Guru
    Mine are created after a very logical pattern. Simply "pc" + a serial number that describes the order in which I got the PC. Thus, my workstation became pc7, my laptop pc8, my servers are pc2, pc5, pc11 and pc14, and my sisters' computers are pc6 and pc13. If I add nodes that are not PCs, I give them a corresponding name, such as printer1 for my networked printer.
    Not very fun mayhap, but it works fine, and I give them functional aliases as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast