Find the answer to your Linux question:
Well, I couldnt find exactly what I was looking for by doing a search (doesnt mean it isnt there) so I thought I would create a thread for this question. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Lindows

Well, I couldnt find exactly what I was looking for by doing a search (doesnt mean it isnt there) so I thought I would create a thread for this question.

What do you guys think of Lindows? I am considering downloading that and installing it. Think thats a good idea?

I have not! tried Lindows (err, I guess, Lindash), so this information is very second-hand (y'know, more second-hand than the usual second-hand). But as I understand it, Lindash still has many of the `bad characteristics' of windows. What exactly that means, I have forgotten, but it might be subject to windows virii. From what I remember, it seemed to me Lindash was an OS that was in between windows & linux in nearly all respects: security, ease of use, etc, etc.

I'm sure that was very handy to you....

Linux Newbie
    It was, actually.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    I haven't used it myself but have helped a friend use it via the internet. My own, albeit second-hand experience doesn't make it one of my favourites. It seems to be rather 'controlling', ie not making it easy to alter things and the software installation system is a subscription based one. Or so I believe, as I couldn't understand their terms & conditions.

So to me it seems to have a restricted use/eas of use rather like windows but with a linux base.

Then again, perhaps that's what they want?

My opinions only of course
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Linux Engineer
    thats not a bad description of it, they took linux and made too many IMO alterations to make it more simple to use, but ruined the security. eg the default user is root and pw's are OPTIONAL

I haven't used this distro, but I read your post and I've now read a few reviews (having a lazy day today!) It seems that Lindows is based on Debian so it uses the Debian package management system. Nice and easy to install binaries! Looks a little expensive though.

It's worth bearing in mind, though, that there are other Debian based installs which don't cost as much as Lindows (mine is freeeeeee!) and which are quite easy to install.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Linux Newbie
    click 'n' run looks genius

Just Joined!
    I personally wouldn't use it as it costs $50, wereas red hat linux 9 is free, and very nice. The click and run sounds cool, but most of the software in there library is installed with the major linux distros any ways.

Linux Newbie
    yes fair point

Just Joined!
    linspire as it now called, i have heard is a cheep version of windows with most of the fetures of linux, yo can still get the source code and acsess root but definitly isn't for the power user