Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Originally Posted by stubbe what makes you think anyone that poor that even they can't even afford the cheapest internet connection would bother themselves on their machines listening to MP3s? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by stubbe
    what makes you think anyone that poor that even they can't even afford the cheapest internet connection would bother themselves on their machines listening to MP3s?
    What makes you think that everyone who can't get broadband is poor? I'm actually doing pretty well financially and can't get broadband because of where I live.

Most MP3s are also downloaded from the internet, or ripping their audio CD collections, so how can they listen to MP3s when they don't have any connections?
    You answered your own question. The vast majority of my MP3s were ripped off of my own collection of CDs, no internet connection required.

As for ripping, ripped audio don't have to be in mp3 format and ripping tools are already provided within some of distros out there, but only those who have the curiosity attitude will find em. Even when they find this kind of tool, they need some more time to learn using it. This is where the very weakness of Linux IMHO.
    True, but the kinds of people who want their PC to "just work" probably aren't aware of other formats, and the most popular music player on the market right now is the iPod, which doesn't play anything other than MP3 and AAC.

Yes, I also do wish I can do something about 3D Studio Max scenes I did, but wouldn't that be too much?
    So you're saying a Linux distribution that has fully-licensed multimedia codecs is too much to ask?

Alot of other distros already try that.
    Name one that's been as successful as Linspire. Xandros is perhaps the closest second in that category.

True, so the same question applies, how many first time linux users will hear about freespire when it's released?
    If Linspire has been good at anything, it's marketing. They'll know.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

It looks sleek and well presented to me, though I've never used a distro quite like that one. I do have some experience with Debian clones however.

If it lives up to the initial promise of what I can see on their website then it should attract a stable and dynamic community. It's interesting to me to see how some of these distros are 'packaged': user forums, Wikis etc ... I think that a lot of organisations could learn from this approach, not just tech. orientated ones.

It looks a lot like Windows, but I'm personally not bothered by that because I know what's under the lid. Good that there's a choice between the throughbred OSS model and the more proprietary beast ... I look forward to Moe's review.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

More choice for the linux end-user, great. After all isnít that what Linux is about?

As for the issue of how easy it is to get DVD/divx etc working on windows compared to mp3/DVD on linux just remember that to someone who has used windows for a long time and is familiar with the interface itís just a simple case of following instructions.

However to a totally new linux user, even though the actual process of installing the above may be easy, the unfamiliarity of the entire environment, coupled with the ďif I do the wrong thing I might beak my whole computer foreverĒ attitude that new users normally have the Ďsimpleí things arenít so simple anymore.

Basically what Iím saying is that what maybe childsplay to you and I on linux can be very tricky to a new user. So tricky that it may make them feel they are over-their-head with this OS and turn away completely. All the more reason why I personally hail any distro that wants to make the experience easier and pain free for the masses.

After all, itís not like the existence of Ďeasierí distros will wipe out slackware, gentoo etc. for those who prefer those is it?
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

Quote Originally Posted by zba78
    More choice for the linux end-user, great. After all isnít that what Linux is about?

After all, itís not like the existence of Ďeasierí distros will wipe out slackware, gentoo etc. for those who prefer those is it?
    Well said, and I agree.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    If Linspire has been good at anything, it's marketing.
    Very true. They're also really pushing for linux support from software & hardware companies. Be it linspire or something else - this type of company is one I believe we should all support.
    It upsets me that, in general, linspire has such a bad name for itself among the foss community.
    10" Sony Vaio SRX99P 850MHz P3-M 256MB RAM 20GB HD : ArchLinux
    14" Dell Inspiron 1420N 2GHz Core2Duo 2GB RAM 160GB HD : Xubuntu

I have to agree that Linspire is good at marketing, and is working as hard as anybody to get hardware support for Linux.

I have tried Linspire (4.5 and 5.0) and I consider it a pretty good desktop, and fairly suitable for beginners to Linux. (In my mind I call it a "more stable and less malware prone version of Winodws" - no flame intended).

I have not yet tried freespire, but I am planning to give it a whirl. I have gone through several distros for desktops, and most of them are pretty decent. However, I want more "stuff" on my computer than they provide. Right at the moment I am using my laptop computer with Xandros 2.0 (fairly old version of it) because my desktop computer is in the shop (CD burner went south, but it is under warrenty so I am having them give me a new one). I use CentOS 4.3 on my desktop computer, and I did a custom install so I could get all of the "stuff" I wanted for that computer.

I am still planning to check out the "new" versions of desktops distros (Ubuntu,, Kubuntu, Freespire, Xandros, and so forth) again, since there seems to be a new range of features available. And as soon as I get my CD burner back, I will be checking them out, including Freespire.

Quote Originally Posted by celticgeek
    I have tried Linspire (4.5 and 5.0) and I consider it a pretty good desktop, and fairly suitable for beginners to Linux.
    I'm looking to replace windows this weekend - and since freespire isn't yet available I was going to give linspire & its free 30 day CRN trial a run. Did you have to purchase linspire - (I think it's advertised as $50 download or $60 box) - or is there a way to try it free?

Things like easy mp3 & DVD playback, as well as good ipod & printer support have been my reasons for sticking with windows 'til now. Maybe linspire can give me an easy way to drop windows for good. Then I plan on removing all proprietory software from my laptop for good, because this thing is pretty much for surfing the web and IM only.

Edit: Looks like Linspire often offers $50 coupons, making the digital version free or the boxed version $10. I'll have to keep my eyes open for the newest coupon code.
    Right now the coupon code "TRYOUTLINUX" takes $30 off.
    (If anyone comes across the current $50 coupon please post)
    Note: Check code before posting, as there are numerous expired ones floating around.
    10" Sony Vaio SRX99P 850MHz P3-M 256MB RAM 20GB HD : ArchLinux
    14" Dell Inspiron 1420N 2GHz Core2Duo 2GB RAM 160GB HD : Xubuntu

I'm looking to replace windows this weekend - and since freespire isn't yet available I was going to give linspire & its free 30 day CRN trial a run. Did you have to purchase linspire - (I think it's advertised as $50 download or $60 box) - or is there a way to try it free?
    I bought the Linspire 4.5 version (box) with the CNR included ($89.95 US), but then I got to download the 5.0 version for free. I haven't seen any coupons, but I will look for them. Right now I don't know of any way to try it for free, but I will also check on this.

I've posted my preliminary review of Freespire 1.0 Beta. Overall it was a positive experience, although it well deserved the name "beta".
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I have downloaded a copy of beta 1 freespire, and WOW! It does exactly what they say it will do right out of the box, Live cd as well, so I ran live, found all my hardware, my ati radeon 9600 configged correctly, wifi with a motorola pci card work right away, mp3 and dvd support right there! So far I am impressed, but I still luv my Kubuntu! Though when its full release comes out it is going on my hp laptop!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast