Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
http://www.linuxelectrons.com/articl...60424133319563 So Linspire is releasing a free (no cost) version of its flagship product, in two varieties: "Regular" (with support for MP3s/DVD/WMV/QT/RM/Nvidia/ATI) and "Unleaded" (all OSS software). They claim both ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Freespire, thoughts?

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/articl...60424133319563

So Linspire is releasing a free (no cost) version of its flagship product, in two varieties: "Regular" (with support for MP3s/DVD/WMV/QT/RM/Nvidia/ATI) and "Unleaded" (all OSS software). They claim both versions will be free of charge and the first will contain legally licensed codecs for all the media and/or devices they list in their press release. The point made by the Linspire president was this:

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Carmony
    Freespire is about choice. The user should be free to decide what software they want to install on their systems, be that proprietary or open source. Linspire fully embraces and supports the open source model, but if Linux is to gain mainstream acceptance, it needs to work with iPods and DVD players, and fully support hardware, such as 3D graphic cards, Wi-Fi, sound, and printers. Until there are viable open source replacements, Freespire sets out to at least provide the option of legally and easily using certain proprietary codecs, drivers and software.
    What are your opinions on this? And please keep them civil.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

not another distro!

This will give bad headache to those who started to gain interest on linux!

mandrake, ubuntu or fedora would be sufficient enough for end users. Why not these new developers join forces with the available similar distros? I mean for proprietary codecs and stuffs, mepis already provide em.

But one thing tho, would be very cool if ATI drivers works right out of the box.

worth putting your reviewing touch on it Moe.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Quote Originally Posted by stubbe
    mandrake, ubuntu or fedora would be sufficient enough for end users. Why not these new developers join forces with the available similar distros? I mean for proprietary codecs and stuffs, mepis already provide em.
    Well, I have a different take on it. I disagree with your statement. None of the distributions you mentioned offer out-of-the-box support for major multimedia formats, even if some of them offer the ability for download. What about those people who would like to try Linux but only have dialup, or no internet access at all? They wouldn't be able to use their computer for as many tasks as a person with only Windows XP. I see the need for a distro that offers this packaged in.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by carlosponti
    worth putting your reviewing touch on it Moe.
    I've downloaded a copy. If I'm able to install it, you can expect a preliminary review at least. I don't like giving full reviews on Betas, but if it's good/awful enough I might.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    I've downloaded a copy. If I'm able to install it, you can expect a preliminary review at least. I don't like giving full reviews on Betas, but if it's good/awful enough I might.

i saw freespire on distrowatch the other day. i have been watching the news listing they have watching distros as they arrive. freespire looked interesting though i am stuck on slackware. i am running suse 10.1 on my notebook i like the wireless tools but its a bit slow on my 650 mhz.
    Blog

Looks awesome. I've always liked everything about Linspire except how much the service cost. I was going to replace XP Pro with Ubuntu 6.06 this weekend on my desktop - but now I think I may go Freespire.

I feel Linspire has a great start in creating a distro that could ultimately be a competitive operating system. Only time will tell I suppose...
    10" Sony Vaio SRX99P 850MHz P3-M 256MB RAM 20GB HD : ArchLinux
    14" Dell Inspiron 1420N 2GHz Core2Duo 2GB RAM 160GB HD : Xubuntu

must... resist... urge... to flame....
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Quote Originally Posted by d38dm8nw81k1ng
    i disagree whole heartaly ... jerk
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by d38dm8nw81k1ng
    lol - people view linspire so negatively.

In my opinion linspire is the beauty of gnu/linux - it's yet another variation. It's also an example that gnu/linux can turn a profit, which is what needs to be proven before it'll get widespread support. Just picture if a company like linspire could make it big. Could offer proprietory software - legally. Was offered through vendors like Dell and HP. Could give hardware/software vendors a reason to support gnu/linux. Also if this were to happen a company like linspire would financially support kernel development, and more, to help themselves. This will ultimately help the community.

All the meanwhile none of us are negatively affected. I'll still play on my arch laptop and you'll play on your suse... free. But we still experience the benefits of development.

I think it's great. I think the only people who'd be against it are people who like to be different. Who like to say "I use linux" to wow people. I don't understand how people who support the growth of FOSS and gnu/linux could be against this type of progression.

Free freespire or $20/year linspire... to promote growth... count me in.

*please keep debate civil as Moe requested - I'd really like to speak about this...*
    10" Sony Vaio SRX99P 850MHz P3-M 256MB RAM 20GB HD : ArchLinux
    14" Dell Inspiron 1420N 2GHz Core2Duo 2GB RAM 160GB HD : Xubuntu

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast