Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Just got the latest Linux Fomat - Ubuntu on the coverdisk and a review of it. I will give it another try Of all distros Debian is my favorite, all ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Review in LXF

Just got the latest Linux Fomat - Ubuntu on the coverdisk and a review of it. I will give it another try

Of all distros Debian is my favorite, all those packages ready just waiting to be installed.. lovely. But Debian gets old really fast - the same can be said about Mandriva. I've used it for about two years but i seems that it is lagging behind.

anybody know the best distro for installing Mythtv on a via eden setup? I've tried knoppmyth. Loved it, but it didn't have the right via drivers so I didn't get HW mpeg2.

So I tried Mandriva. Got HW mpeg2 but didn't get support for my tv card. Mandriva kernel was outdated..

Then I tried Suse 10.1 Everything works, but mpeg decoding is a bit slow...

And now I am out of Ideas until the new Mandriva comes out...

Linux Enthusiast apoorv_khurasia's Avatar
    The only thing I have liked about Ubuntu/Kubuntu is that they ship free CDs which I distribute to people new to Linux. It can give people a nice start into the Linux world (I held the opposite view until I recieved good feedback from my friends who recieved the CDs and one gentleman on this forum changed my mind). As one gets experienced he/she(rarely!!!) might want to get away from it. But apart from that a good point to start.
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page

Well I'm not going to suggest that Ubuntu/Kubuntu is the best distro or anything but what Iíll say is that they certainly both work fine on my laptop. Apt-get is tried and tested and it has a very active community.

But like many distros once installed and setup it just allows you to get on with your daily computing needs. Which ultimately is what its all about
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

Quote Originally Posted by cayalee
    other than wlan which i've never got working on any distro ubuntu has always done me good. using software like automatix and easyubuntu kills 99% of techiemoe's complaints on his rants. it means you can get java/mp3/dvd/wmv/nvidia/ati working in a few tickboxes worth of time and hardware detection has been excellent for me so far.
    Ah, but there's still that nagging 1% that says you need internet access to use automatix.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Ubuntu - why not? Moe, I'm curious ... How far would you have to move to get somewhere with broadband?
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by fingal
    Ubuntu - why not? Moe, I'm curious ... How far would you have to move to get somewhere with broadband?
    England perhaps

Fingal, are you a telewest bloke or BT? I'm telewest on their 2MB line
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

Quote Originally Posted by fingal
    Not that far, actually. The factor that keeps me where I'm at isn't the distance I'd have to move: it's the cost of living there as opposed to where I'm at.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by zba78
    England perhaps

Fingal, are you a telewest bloke or BT? I'm telewest on their 2MB line
    Hello zba78 - I'm with Pipex ... I signed up with them for a couple of reasons:

* They support Linux and actively say so on their website (or they used to - can't find that now);
    * they aren't a funky broadband provider offering a 'package' - they just provide a good service;
    * it costs me £15 per. month for unlimited access.

They do have some faults though ... I can't access my free email account from here no matter how hard I try. Not sure if this is my fault or theirs, but I can't manage it. They don't bill me in a conspicuous way, so they could be overcharging me by now and I wouldn't know. I pay by direct debit. Having said that, my download speeds seem okay and they send me a newsletter every month or so.

Telewest offer a good local service, but I wanted a Linux using/supporting service provider.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Ah, but there's still that nagging 1% that says you need internet access to use automatix.
    Dude I think I still have all of my packages in /var/apt/cache - if you want I can send them on a CD and you can have your wicked way with Ubuntu...I would have had the same opinion last year before I got my net connection so I can sympathise, but now I got over my grudge against online package management I'm really enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney
    Dude I think I still have all of my packages in /var/apt/cache - if you want I can send them on a CD and you can have your wicked way with Ubuntu...I would have had the same opinion last year before I got my net connection so I can sympathise, but now I got over my grudge against online package management I'm really enjoying it.
    Haha. It's not a grudge, it's a fact. I simply cannot use distros that require me to download things from the internet on my desktop machine. Emulated through my laptop I can go where the broadband is, but that's not a solution.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast