Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I normally try all new distros I come accross. Fedora, Debian, Mandriva, SuSe, Knoppix, Ubuntu and so on.. For all of the mentioned and a few more I get the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Ubuntu Why??

I normally try all new distros I come accross. Fedora, Debian, Mandriva, SuSe, Knoppix, Ubuntu and so on..
    For all of the mentioned and a few more I get the same result when installing them. They work!!! On some I have to work a bit to get wireless working and screen resulution to max but other than that they work pretty well straight away.

There is however one exeption, Ubuntu.. On my main computer i don't even get into X - this is a live distro so I usually stop there and never get to try it out for real.

On my spare lowend crapmachine it boots but doesn't seem to find all my hardware (and that is supposed to be one of the strong points of Ubuntu right??) . I have enough trouble getting 3d support and I don't want to spend time fixing trivial things like sound...

So please tell me what all the fuzz is about. Why is this distro so popular?

I'm thinking it's so popular because it was the first one to take Debian and customize it (package-wise and configuration-wise) for home users. Previous offerings for the desktop had been based on RedHat, and people were wanting something as user-friendly as Fedora or SuSE but with Debian's strengths (I know because I was one). For people who didn't have the Linux know-how to make Debian work and feel right for their desktop, Ubuntu was the answer.

Now I think others, such as SimplyMepis, have caught on and done evern better by not deviating too much (if at all) from the standard that bore them. Also, Fedora has Yum available to it, which overcomes the package problems of RedHat, making it a more attractive option than before.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

Quote Originally Posted by Zelmo
    Now I think others, such as SimplyMepis, have caught on and done evern better by not deviating too much (if at all) from the standard that bore them.
    Just a small note: Mepis is now based on Ubuntu.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by Zelmo
    I'm thinking it's so popular because it was the first one to take Debian and customize it (package-wise and configuration-wise) for home users.
    No, it wasn't the first one. Other debian distros did that before, too. But Ubuntu was the first one that shipped free CDs and invested milions or dollars in public releations. Clever marketing was the key, as was the hype that usually arises when a new distro comes out.

Remember Gentoos first days? Wow, that one was popular and rose at the distrowatch rankings and some years later, the hype is gone and Gentoo is just another distro among the many. Same for Knoppix, Arch, Yoper and other distros. Once they were available, they climbed the dw ladder only to fall back some years later. And everyone said then "it is the holy cow, let's adore and worship it!".

Ubuntu does not offer any extra-thing (worse: it lacks in many areas imho). And don't believe the Ubuntu-hype.
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984

Well, excluding the OP, my experience is that Ubuntu has great hardware detection.

I have not used Suse, Fedora, etc... lately, but I find that Ubuntu is even more polished than them. Everything looks pretty nice, package manager is very clear. I recently installed it on my labtop and as someone who wasn't a big fan of it before (if you really care I should have a review on here from at least a year ago where I was pretty tough on it), almost everything worked out of the book except wpa2 and of course mp3/dvd stuff.

Sure there has been plenty of hype around it, but I think now it is starting to be justly deserved.
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

I found it great out of the box, every bit of hardware running fine except I would want to switch to the proprietary nVidia drivers. I used Automatix, and it does absolutely everything. It's a great tool. It would be nice if someone created something similar to sort out the packman bits for SUSE.

other than wlan which i've never got working on any distro ubuntu has always done me good. using software like automatix and easyubuntu kills 99% of techiemoe's complaints on his rants. it means you can get java/mp3/dvd/wmv/nvidia/ati working in a few tickboxes worth of time and hardware detection has been excellent for me so far.
    dont get me wrong, i really miss yast, but ive not had any major probs with ubuntu as i use a wired ethernet network at home and uni so no need to go wlan (which i've found a problem with on every distro i've ever tried)
    You know, aliens are going to come to earth in 50 years and kill the hell out of us for DDoSing their networks with this SETI crap
    registered linux user #388463

Linux Enthusiast
    Well, it's free without the necessity of paying for an "Enterprise Version!" It comes in two versions server and workstation that is particularly suited for both home and enterprise use. The LAMP server installs in 15-minutes - fully configured. I've been a SuSE die hard; however, SuSE may take a back seat to Ubuntu.

Linux User
    ive used pretty much every popular distro out there, and none of them can compare to ubuntu, its a great distro, everything works, theres a great apt server, and the hardware detection is unbeatable. IMHO its the best distro ive ever used

i would use debian, but all the stuff is to old, im hoping to using debian 4.1 when it comes out this december

My Ubuntu experience is simply that it works fairly well out of the box, it tries to be user-friendly without permanently prohibiting access to features, and is overall pleasant.

Now, I have my complaints (specifically that out of the 9 distros I've tried to date, Ubuntu is the only one that refuses to work with my wireless card). And it is certainly not as configurable or customizable as I would like. But it manages to include an excellent package manager in a user-friendly wrapping, which is likely what gives it its charm.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast