Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
After many years of frustrations I cumulated my Windows XP frustrations and wrote an article the top 10 reasons why I decided to dump Windows and use GNU/Linux as my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[article] 10 reasons to dump Windows

After many years of frustrations I cumulated my Windows XP frustrations and wrote an article the top 10 reasons why I decided to dump Windows and use GNU/Linux as my primary desktop OS.

Here is part I of the article: 10 reasons to dump Windows - Part I which covers 3 issues: security, desktop usage and software installation.

My take was to talk about such features that are the greatest Windows XP failures, not to compare Windows and GNU/Linux in detail.

Hope you find this article (and the following 2 which are in progress) useful. Any comments welcome.

Best regards,
    michuk

It's a well-written article and you're honest at the beginning about your intentions. The title is a bit misleading (as you said, marketing), but other than that you express your points well. I look forward to reading Part 2.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

interestin article but wat u have overlooked is that thats wat makes windows great its easy you just click on that big e and yo are connected u just connect to the net and your mail is downloaded to outlook not that linux dont have these features but you spend hours tryin to get the darn thing to work overlookin the fact that not everyone is technical minded not everyone has the patience at this i say
    i would rather pay for crappy windows than go through the stress of linux

Quote Originally Posted by scrarfussi
    interestin article but wat u have overlooked is that thats wat makes windows great its easy you just click on that big e and yo are connected u just connect to the net and your mail is downloaded to outlook not that linux dont have these features but you spend hours tryin to get the darn thing to work overlookin the fact that not everyone is technical minded not everyone has the patience at this i say
    i would rather pay for crappy windows than go through the stress of linux
    The stress of Linux? Strange that you're here - but if you struggle, you can ask for help on this very message board. Remember, you only need to learn how to plug your email in once, and forever you'll be free of the (less than secure, less than useable) outlook express...
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

hi michux !!

10 reasons to dump Windows - Part I
    you cant dump windows... i know there are a lot of problems with windows... esp.. maintainance... like regular virus definition updates or spyware or adware threats... but rest of it works fine... (if you install good AntiVirus and Firrewall )

i never find any problem while installing anything... newbies in windows feels like home that exactly opposite to other OS...
    you know most of third party softwares.. like tutorial cds, softwares are windows based only.. e.g. here in india.. all my Law Books, Taxation Softwares and Tutorials are windows based only.
    what about graphics world...???
    GIMP or any other package can never replace PhotoShop ( atleast now )... 3D Studio Max or MAYA... i know there is Wine or Cedage but point is same.. you cant get same output as in windows...

at present.. dumping windows is dumb thing...

<=== { casper } ===>
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    at present.. dumping windows is dumb thing...
    Then I'm dumb and proud of it! I know what you mean though: I've dumped Windows at home with no ill effects*, but not at work. They make me use it at work. In the commercial world there's a cycle of dependency which may never be broken - Then again, no-one knows the future ... Not even Mr. William Gates Esquire: guru, philanthropist, purveyor of super-fine software products (and his monkey Steve).

By the way, my dumbness has saved me a lot of time and money.

*Unless you count spending far too long gazing at a screen.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by fingal
    They make me use it at work. In the commercial world there's a cycle of dependency which may never be broken -
    its true that "there's a cycle of dependency"... and one have to work on windows even if he dont want to.....

but what about easyness ??? anyone can work on windows, ( i am talking about newbies ) like installation or device handling... just plug-in your camera, USB card or BlueTooth Modem... you dont have to have prior knowledge of software or anything like that. its damn easy in windows... i know after 'Getting Help' one can do anything on Linux or other OS but you dont need that Help on windows...
    well !! i am not saying that windwos is best or even dont wanna discuss pro or cons.. here point is 'dumping windows right now
    no way... its not possible.. a lot of work to do.....

Then again, no-one knows the future ...
    i am back in linux world after almost five years and i think we all are working for better future only.... a free world.. right...

<=== { casper } ===>
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

.. you cant get same output as in windows...
    Yeah we know. But dont worry, Microsoft are on the case, and they'll reach the same output standard as Linux by the time Vista comes along.

i am not saying that windwos is best or even dont wanna discuss pro or cons.. here point is 'dumping windows right now
    No, I think your point is that for some users dumping MS Windows is not an option. There are quite a few of us who get along just fine without it.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

but what about easyness ??? anyone can work on windows, ( i am talking about newbies ) like installation or device handling...
    In my experience all the drivers come with Linux, and you have to go hunt the internet for them all on Windows.

just plug-in your camera, USB card or BlueTooth Modem... you dont have to have prior knowledge of software or anything like that.
    Yep, that's how I find Linux. USB cards for me have been a bit of a pain in Windows tho'. And Windows keeps forgetting what my bluetooth dongle is while I'm still using it.

its damn easy in windows... i know after 'Getting Help' one can do anything on Linux or other OS but you dont need that Help on windows...
    If you dont need help on Windows, why do Microsoft run their knowledgebase? Or their support lines? The problem is that Windows is set up for beginners, and they only have the beginners way of doing things. Once you learn how use the tools you use, you need to get closer to the machine and get more power - Windows insulates you from this.

The opposite is true in Linux - it challenges you to understand why things work the way they do, that way you can control them better and get more out of the whole experience, including more productivity.

well !! i am not saying that windwos is best or even dont wanna discuss pro or cons.. here point is 'dumping windows right now

i am back in linux world after almost five years and i think we all are working for better future only.... a free world.. right...

<=== { casper } ===>
    And I hate to disagree with any member of this forum - but you are wrong, it is utterly possible to dump Windows right now if you really want. Ask the computer team that did the graphics for the film Titanic whether they needed Windows at all...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast