Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dunno if anyone saw any of the WWDC announcements for OS X Leopard today. This one interested me - not because it's cool or great or is saving the world ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

New OS X Leopard features

Dunno if anyone saw any of the WWDC announcements for OS X Leopard today. This one interested me - not because it's cool or great or is saving the world but because how much emphasis everyone is putting on accelerated desktops -

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/coreanimation.html

Also the Time-Machine feature seems interesting. I heard mention that maybe Thery were implementing ZFS as rumoured to implement this

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/timemachine.html

Also OS X finally gets virtual desktops.

What interested me the most is the new Mac Pros - twin Dual Core Xeons for $2500 in a slick case. That would make a nice house for my linux

Just Joined!
    yeah the Mac Pros are sexy.....but well so inexpensive, you know if you buy one you got to buy that 30" display too and then you end up with 10,000$ know what i mean?....id prefer some performace improvements, its getting slow on my 867mhz pbook

I like their look, their ads, their logo, but I somehow dislike the machines. I didn't get much software for my OS9 machine (had a G3 with OS8 before), thus put OSX on it later. But OSX is damn slow on my G4 (512 MB Ram) and subsequently got replaced with Debian ppc, but that is also far from being a great solution. Imho, the Mac performance is right now inferior to PCs with a nicely configured Linux system. I won't spend any money again on an expensive computer system from Apple where the price is exaggerated. The quality of OSX isn't/wasn't great imho. And... I dislike the snobbish attitude that many Mac users display.
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I was less than impressed with the keynote yesterday. It just didn't have the "Wow!" factor that previous keynotes have had. Basically they only released what everyone knew they were going to release, namely the Intel versions of the Power Mac and XServe, and Leopard. I think Leopard will be very cool, and I'll probably buy it, but the rest of their offerings were just sort of "meh". I'm hoping something more interesting will happen at the "One More Thing..." event.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by Kojak
    And... I dislike the snobbish attitude that many Mac users display.
    Amen. They love to show it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrillhouse
    Quote Originally Posted by Kojak
    And... I dislike the snobbish attitude that many Mac users display.
    Amen. They love to show it off.
    Let's not further add to stereotypes. Bashing Mac users is no different than bashing anyone else, and just as inappropriate. That being said, every crowd (be it Windows, Linux, GNU, EFF, etc) has their snobs. It's hardly fair to generalize based on the vocal minority.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I agree that we shouldn't bash around and that every OS has its share of snobs, but I must confess that being a long, long time Mac user, I grew tired of those who discovered Macs only after they got a new design, after OSX came out. I have been using Macs since... *thinks* the late 1990s (at work) and the users then and the users now are a totally different bunch of people. I have met so many people who only bought a Mac because it fits their Rolex, their Mercedes and their Yacht. Buying Macs for bragging around is imho a bit silly. They are still machines, built for making your work easier (despite the marketing-strategies of Apple), just like any other OS. A computer as a sign of lifestyle? Grow up, Jobs...

Yes, the majority of Mac users is still a nice bunch of people but the new "ego-guys" that I met frequently are shouting out loudest, getting on my nerves and driving many Mac veterans like me away from Macs.
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984

Just Joined!
    Oh yeah...to the people saying expensive....
    the Mac Pro is cheaper then if you customize the same machine with dell