View Poll Results: Gnome Or KDE

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gnome

13 43.33%
  • KDE

17 56.67%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Yawn! Been here, had voted here... Quite frankly it doesn't make a difference to me whether to use KDE or GNOME... I like both... Now... shall we bring back the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Red face

Yawn!

Been here, had voted here... Quite frankly it doesn't make a difference to me whether to use KDE or GNOME... I like both...

Now... shall we bring back the Vi vs. Emacs poll?
    -D-

Registered User # 402675

i voted for gnome. as a long time kde user, i can confidently say from experience that i won't be tempted to install kde again anytime soon. i adore the clean and easy-on-the-eye look of gnome, the themability, the wide(r) range of development possibilities. i like the fact that its more in the spirit of unix and less in the spirit of windows. i like the originality of ideas, and most of the applications that suit me best are gnome/gtk based. but most important of all, it feels like home.

Linux Enthusiast
    I vote for KDE due primarily to the increased customization. Just my two cents. I can simply make KDE do and look the way I want.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by daacosta
    Yawn!

Been here, had voted here... Quite frankly it doesn't make a difference to me whether to use KDE or GNOME... I like both...

Now... shall we bring back the Vi vs. Emacs poll?
    what about a linux v bsd poll?
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

KDE & Fluxbox.
    10" Sony Vaio SRX99P 850MHz P3-M 256MB RAM 20GB HD : ArchLinux
    14" Dell Inspiron 1420N 2GHz Core2Duo 2GB RAM 160GB HD : Xubuntu

oz
    forum.guy
    I don't run Gnome or KDE but would be very disappointed to see either of them go away. I like having a choice, and the competition is probably good for all of us.
    oz

I prefer Gnome. I don't have anything bad to say about KDE. I just like the layout of Gnome and prefer it over KDE.
    Two levels higher than a newb.
    (I can search google)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by d38dm8nw81k1ng
    what about a linux v bsd poll?

I have no experience with BSD and Rooney deserved that red card!!!!
    -D-

Registered User # 402675

geek tattoos vs asian language tattoos when the person doesnt speak an asian language. i think that this thread got silly from the start.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Linux Newbie

I like KDE

Ten years ago, I worked on a development team at Digital Equipment Corporation (yes, the late DEC) on the Common Desktop Environment (CDE). Frankly, I found CDE, at the time, to be feature weak, resource intensive (compared to OSF/MOTIF, the window manager environment I had been using), and ugly (Motif was ugly, too).

These days, both Motif and CDE would be considered lightweight in resource consumption compared to just about anything out there, with the exception of Ion, Fluxbox, Blackbox, or similar lightweight window managers. As a desktop manager, CDE was one of the early commercial efforts.

Because of my work with CDE, when KDE came along, it had a familiarity to it. As a result, I tended to use it rather than other alternatives. As it matured, even though it changed, the changes were easy to follow along with and the interface was always easy to modify.

In contrast, the GNOME project has changed directions several times. While I think they finally have their heads screwed on straight, it took them ten years to do so.

KDE is heavier and more cumbersome, but to this day, tends to be the desktop of choice for most distributions that cater specifically to the newbie. By no means am I a newbie, but in recent months I have had less and less time to mess around with software. KDE based systems have been much quicker for me to set up and use with minimal change, and when I did make changes, they were easy and effortless, partly due to familiarity, but also due to a more flexible set of options.

XFCE is another lighter weight desktop that I sometimes use instead of KDE. When I was tweaking systems more often, I tended to favor XFCE over KDE. Now that I am more of a desktop user than an every day administrator, I am back in favor of KDE because it just works and contains all of what I need, and provides easier tweaks when I do want to change something.
    Brian Masinick
    masinick AT yahoo DOT com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast