Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Nevermind, installed slackware 10.2 on my notebook using the second partition scheme. Nvidia running, sound working, but network not. Also I experience severe lagging when the harddrive indicator blinking. Any ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Nevermind, installed slackware 10.2 on my notebook using the second partition scheme.

Nvidia running, sound working, but network not. Also I experience severe lagging when the harddrive indicator blinking. Any idea what happen here?

is UDMA enabled?
    All Empires rise and fall. The Microsoft Empire has already risen, only one way to go now...

tried hdparm -d1 /dev/hda

and it throws me "operation not permitted"?

If you run the top command, is anything running which would take up resources?
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

well I don't run many services on slackware. This lagging occurs everytime I copy stuffs from a partition to another. Even sometimes from a folder to another folder in my linux partition. Starting KDE even lags alot.

Upgraded to 2.6.17-8 kernel much better, but still experiencing some lagging tho. Have anyone got any luck on realtek 8168 ethernet and intelpro wireless card?

BTW I tried dapper drake before this and everything went smoothly even the ethernet detected right away. Except one memory error at the bootup beofre it went into the splash. But no ubuntu! I'm a slackware crusader mwahahaha... nah it's just that it feels strained using ubuntu. It's great for end users tho.

Right now I'm compiling the kernel source.

Linux Enthusiast
    if its an intel IPW2100 wifi chipset, its very easy to get working in slack

just download the official firmware from the intel sourceforge site, drop it in /lib/firmware, and configure your interface with iwconfig/ifconfig

Well I think this is time for me to move on. Otherwise this notebook would be exhausted by me only for compiling kernels and trying to make things work in Slackware lol.

Been playing with ubuntu for the last 2 days. All I can say, well, no wonder it become the top page hit rank in distrowatch. Everything works right out of the box. And tons of software repositories. And if that is not enough I also use easyubuntu to set up those proprietary non free stuffs. Just mere typing simple commands and I can play wmvs in totem, also open wmvs within firefox, opening some flash page (flash 9 don't work yet) and alot more.

This is one very great end-user distro indeed. No fuss. No security headache (root account disabled by default). But like techimoe's review, this distro would suck a hard time without any good internet connection.

BTW one more question. Is it safe to delete cached .deb files? They took about 2.6 gigs of my harddrive. What is the reccomended way to do it? Or just delete them since I can't find any option in Synaptic to clear those cached .deb files.

Just picked up a Dell c400 1.2 Ghz, 40 Gig HD, 512Mb and aironet 352 PCMCIA for $240 at our company Surplus store! Loaded Suse 10 last night and only need to figure out why my wireless NIC can't associate with my Linksys AP with WPA...

Should get it ironed out soon...

Tnx!

Linux Enthusiast
    you dont need to compile the kernel for the driver actually. its a prepackaged module.

yeah, you can delete those cached deb files, as apt would just get them again anyway.

about security though, ubuntu 5 managed to have the root password in /tmp in plain text.

what do you mean with prepackaged module? do you refer to the realtek 8168 ethernet?

Just picked up a Dell c400 1.2 Ghz, 40 Gig HD, 512Mb and aironet 352 PCMCIA for $240 at our company Surplus store! Loaded Suse 10 last night and only need to figure out why my wireless NIC can't associate with my Linksys AP with WPA...

Should get it ironed out soon...

Tnx!
    Dang! that's one great deal indeed!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast