Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
I refer to the intel wifi driver, but sure, the realtek module is probably there too. by prepackaged I mean pats 2.6 kernel packages, you put it on, when packages ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

I refer to the intel wifi driver, but sure, the realtek module is probably there too.

by prepackaged I mean pats 2.6 kernel packages, you put it on, when packages upgrade, it upgrades too. people are stuck in the thought they need to recompile a kernel first off when it simply isnt true. the 2.6 kernel pat provides comes with about 1200 driver modules you can just insert and use.

I've just checked my modules and however I dont have a rt8168 driver, but thats not to say its not supported as I _do compile my own kernel, but only to enable SMP as pat seems to refuse to provide a packaged SMP kernel, else .. I wouldnt.

that wifi will work out of the box though as long as its the intel 2100/2200 chipset, you just get the firmware and it springs to life, then you configure it with iwconfig/ifconfig.

Unless the ethernet working internet would be useless aswell. Can't really rely on wireless much here. And I'm not a cafe hang out type of person. What's the point... might aswell working at home. But that's entirely other topic lol. I found a close family module for realtek, but no luck installing and loading the module. Went to realtek.com.tw, found a driver in source form but compiling it throws me an error.

Anyway I left slackware there just in case I miss messing around with it again. Want to try gentoo aswell but sounds frightening. Slackware first then gentoo. I'm thinking about making slackware as offline workstation environment for me. "fast" is the keyword.

BTW yesterday I broke my ubuntu installation! Took me about almost a whole day to fix it. Playing with the partition, and suddenly my /boot partition damaged. Can't find a better way to fix it other than creating a new temporary partition to install another ubuntu.

But then the automatic grub configuration script always refer to the new partition even after I remove it, even after I edit the fstab the menu.lst still refer to it each time I install a new kernel. Dang! I also tried reinstalling grub manually, yet no luck. I forgot what I did and suddenly the next time I test reinstalling the old kernels It went smooth again. Whew!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3