Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
can't find the model I really wanted. It's actually toshiba tecra M5-P2301. I spotted that one when I was on a trip to Singapore, at the Changi airport. But I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

bought a notebook! finally!

can't find the model I really wanted. It's actually toshiba tecra M5-P2301. I spotted that one when I was on a trip to Singapore, at the Changi airport. But I was broke back then so I can only stare and dreams lol. It's equipped with quadro, that's what I was crushing about and it's only SG$2699 or something.

And yesterday there's an exhibition here, all I look is for notebook equipped with NVidia chipset. Then, there she was. It's Acer Aspire 9412NWSMi Intel core duo, Nvidia Geforce 7300 256 with hypermemory, 1gig of RAM for only SG$1800. So I think no further. Deal is on and the notebook is mine... mwahahaha...

I just hate how huge this notebook is, 17". I wanted a small 14" notebook actually, 12.1" is better. Well, tablet PC would be fine also , heck I'll dig for startrek computers, but it's real world we're living on lol. But most of that kind of screensize equipped with NVidia are hell expensive.

Wow, it sounds really nice. Except isn't hypermemory Nvidia's way of saying shared memory (i.e., the graphics memory isn't on the graphics adapter, it just borrows system memory)? At least, that was the case with the 6200. Not that it matters for most things, just for 3D games.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

Linux User
    yes it is, but they card probobly has 128mb of ram, thats all youll need, you can just disable the hypermemory

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    yeap, it's 128 dedicated and 128 shared. And well, I'm gonna torture this baby with heavy duty applications, like games and 3d animation softwares heheh.

It's actually comes with Linpus Linux, a taiwan based distro. And they forgot to include the damn CD. If it were Xandros or Linspire I'll break the shopkeeper's neck lol. But I never heard of Linpus anyway, it's somekind of commercial distro aswell, so it's rather okay. I'm going to use Slax anyway and I have unused WinXP pro at my hands.

It's quite helpful to low budgeted users with these Linux based notebooks, since the price gap is quite big. About SG$ 500-1000 with similar specs. I wonder how the price can be that different. I mean Windows XP pro is only about US$200 last time I bought it if I remember correctly.

Some other computer vendors did this aswell, but most of the time they only include the cheapes commercial distros or even the free ones.

Linux User
    id like to get a notebook myself, im looking into some older used stuff though, i just want it for web browsing and instant messaging, ill probobly get a G3 iBook or a IBM thinkpad P3 M, ill probobly wind up sticking zenwalk or DSL on there

you should come here (brunei). p3 laptops only SG$200-500 . I was thinking to buy one of those myself, specially for writings and internet

I've been playing around with my notebook.

Still trying to get my luck on having Slax on my notebook. Search awhile and found this post :

http://www.slax.org/forum/viewtopic....2c24db9a6f621f

Tried that, and I can see why Tomas insist of people not using his distro in real installation form. It's funny how in live form slax manage to detect everything wonderfully, but in "real" mode it's not.

Also installed Dapper Drake. Well, first taste, no wonder Ubuntu become the top page hit ranking on distrowatch. It's sleek, easy, fast and after I went into the desktop looks like Ubuntu was designed to be a graphical distro from ground up. Although this is a very great desktop distro indeed, I feel so chained using Ubuntu.

i bought my laptop this summer on ebay for $220 (very sweet deal): thinkpad-390x pIII 450mhz, 40gb hdd, 128mb ram. since i dont need it for very strenuous tasks such as gaming or even graphics design, it suits my needs just fine by running VectorLinux + fluxbox.
    All Empires rise and fall. The Microsoft Empire has already risen, only one way to go now...

Quote Originally Posted by easuter
    i bought my laptop this summer on ebay for $220 (very sweet deal): thinkpad-390x pIII 450mhz, 40gb hdd, 128mb ram. since i dont need it for very strenuous tasks such as gaming or even graphics design, it suits my needs just fine by running VectorLinux + fluxbox.
    Nice setup - I like those light low(ish) spec machines because they 'just do the job'. They don't break the bank either.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

I was thinking to use this notebook as my workstation aswell. Haven't got any pc for a very long time. But It's true, this big baby really screws the whole idea of notebook mobility.

Using this notebook for presentation would surely add up the prestige value

back to n00bish question. I'm going to dual boot this machine, partitioning job. How do you guys put things?

mine is currently like this (1):

primary :
    winxp

extended :
    swap
    /boot
    /
    /home
    data

Back then was like this (2):

primary :
    winxp

extended :
    data
    swap
    /boot
    /
    /home

Which one would you think better?

configuration 1 is that I thought I would dismiss XP someday

configuration 2 is that I thought maybe I'll try some other distros aswell.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast