Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Originally Posted by fingal Now you're talking! How about Birmingham here in the UK? I'll give you some reasons: - Birmingham is huge: there are loads of places to go ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by fingal
    Now you're talking! How about Birmingham here in the UK? I'll give you some reasons:

- Birmingham is huge: there are loads of places to go out and it's the UK's second largest city;
    - it's cheaper to stay in Birmingham than London;
    - there's an international airport next to the city for easy access;
    - if you get tired of Birmingham, it's centrally located so it's easy to escape from to explore almost anywhere;
    - I could put one of you up for a few days, or recommend (even book) a good hotel;
    - the beer is cheaper in B'ham, and I know most of the decent pubs and bars;
    - the people are reasonably friendly ...

My fantasy location is ... Birmingham!
    But getting in/out of our airports right now might be a bit of trouble...
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

It's funny I was just thinking about this the other day, and what it would take to get us all together. A beer up would be good. thankfully most of us here seem to be on the up-side of geek. Loving the source, but still like beer and leaving the house.
    I would go for Birmingham too. I live in the Southeast of Ireland, I could get there in two or three hours with some planning. What could be more central for world full of linuxforums members? Only perhaps Greenwich observatory itself!
    It'd have to be good. Unless of course everyone that ever signed up came. A swarm of 80,000 linux geeks invading Birmingham

Actually I take it back. Let's all meet up in the Canaries. Maybe Tenerife. Do they have WiFI on Veronicas?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by zba78
    But getting in/out of our airports right now might be a bit of trouble...
    It's an important detail, yes. Btw, if you ever meet me don't let me drink rum: restrain me or whatever. Call the law - sit on my head. The last time I got drunk on rum the following happened:

• I thought I was Scottish and stamped around the house shouting;
    • I lost 9 hours out of my life;
    • I went out with the girl who supplied the rum for the next 3 years.

Just letting you know.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

I volunteer to have the conference at my restaurant in picturesque Abbeville, SC which is centrally located from all points on earth. We have plenty of room for such a conference, pool tables, a large dance floor, (petergriffin, be sure to bring along a few extra pairs of shoes), food, beer and liquor all in a relaxing Windows free environment.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

What exactly does a hash cook off entail? I'm thinking this means a different thing in South Carolina than it does here.

LOL! All my young life I thought everyone ate hash (as we know it) but when I began to travel I discovered that wasn't the case at all! It is particular to the State of South Carolina and very closely associated with the area where I live.

Hash
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 08-14-2006 at 01:10 PM.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

I'd be up for a meeting if it's in my back yard (i.e. somewhere in Texas). I'll pass on the beer though.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    I'll pass on the beer though.
    Indeed you will - You'll pass it on to me and I'll show you how to drink it.

Joking aside, if we were real geeks we'd do it so that the conference/party (I prefer a party) was split between different geographical zones; we would then hook the zones together using computers and web cams and have a VIGLOP ... Yes! A VIGLOP. What the hell's a VIGLOP? Well, it's a Virtual GLobal Party. It's also the noise your stomach makes the next morning after drinking my punch.

Each zone would feature IRC channels, web cams, VoiP and of course run on Windows. Errrr ... Kidding of course.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by Core Wizard
    Naaaa, conferences are boring... I was thinking more like a Party or something with lots of beer...

I've been actually thinking about this, and who knows, might actually happen one day...
    i went to comdex acouple of years ago, me and the guy i was there with drank beer the whole time. im sure we represented oklahoma real well shorts tennis shoes polo shirts cowboy hats and a six pack of beer

well you heard Moe his backyard was offered as a meeting place! he he
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast