Find the answer to your Linux question:
Information Week posted an interesting article on their Web site titled "Greatest Software Ever Written." The author lists BSD 4.3 as the best piece of software ever written and specifically ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Interesting Article

Information Week posted an interesting article on their Web site titled "Greatest Software Ever Written." The author lists BSD 4.3 as the best piece of software ever written and specifically mentioned Linus and the Linux spin off. It's a decent read for those who may be interested.

hi gtmtnbiker98 !!!

where is the link ?? or have to Google it ??

<=== { casper } ===>
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Enthusiast
    http://www.informationweek.com the article is on the front page.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    An interesting article indeed. I'm glad they qualified "greatest". They even did a followup as to why MS Windows wasn't included. Just because something is a commercial success doesn't make their definition of "great". I heartily agree.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

well !! its really great..... found a lot interesting facts....

<=== { casper } ===>
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

I guess it helps people feel fuzzy about themselves. Qualifications aside, talking in such absolutes seems meaningless to me - it's like "what's your favourite movie". If you can answer it, then it only shows how limited your take on the genre is, that's all.

I agree there's lots of interesting info in the article, though - a good read. I just don't buy the provocative premise.

A great BBC series that played a few decades back was Connections, created and hosted by James Burke. They covered these fascinating connections between what seemed like a simple technological concept and ended in phenomonally profound events. For example, one of the most chilling and fascinating shows started with Parisian loom makers back in the 1700's finding ways to automate weaving that led directly to the Babbage engine, computers, and eventually Burke sitting in the bomb bay of the Enola Gay, the plane that dropped the first atomic bomb. Brrr.

Anyway, sorry for the sidebar, but it shows that you can take the "greatest" or "most influential" concept in any direction, really.

DT

Quote Originally Posted by DThor
    I guess it helps people feel fuzzy about themselves. Qualifications aside, talking in such absolutes seems meaningless to me - it's like "what's your favourite movie". If you can answer it, then it only shows how limited your take on the genre is, that's all.

I agree there's lots of interesting info in the article, though - a good read. I just don't buy the provocative premise.

A great BBC series that played a few decades back was Connections, created and hosted by James Burke. They covered these fascinating connections between what seemed like a simple technological concept and ended in phenomonally profound events. For example, one of the most chilling and fascinating shows started with Parisian loom makers back in the 1700's finding ways to automate weaving that led directly to the Babbage engine, computers, and eventually Burke sitting in the bomb bay of the Enola Gay, the plane that dropped the first atomic bomb. Brrr.

Anyway, sorry for the sidebar, but it shows that you can take the "greatest" or "most influential" concept in any direction, really.

DT
    i remember seeing that show. PBS or some educational station replayed those episodes here. that was truly an awesome show. i was fascinated from the start to the end of the show.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557