Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just want to hear some opinions about this and most forums, not only linux but all kinds of forums. In my experience if you are a total newbie, you ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Forum quality

I just want to hear some opinions about this and most forums, not only linux but all kinds of forums.

In my experience if you are a total newbie, you will get help at any forum. This means that you get the solution to easy or common problems. Usually common startup issues

On the other hand, if you need help for someting less common - it's probably not worth taking the time to post it on a forum.

Why is it so, or is it so? Maybe experienced users solve their problem on their own or by other means than a forum, while newbies are more likely to turn to the forum for help...

Just wondering...

For some really hard questions, I've posted in several places, looking for parts of the answer - and I've found it, and pieced it together. Then it becomes a bit of a chore posting out the full solution to those that chipped in with a little bit of help. The questions I ask these days are multi-faceted; much more than just simple one-dimensional beginners questions.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff
    For some really hard questions, I've posted in several places, looking for parts of the answer - and I've found it, and pieced it together. Then it becomes a bit of a chore posting out the full solution to those that chipped in with a little bit of help. The questions I ask these days are multi-faceted; much more than just simple one-dimensional beginners questions.
    Not to mention that some questions admit multiple solutions... I can see the use of forums regardless of the type of question you ask... It is a great resource...
    -D-

Registered User # 402675

drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi.

It's also a pyramid: for difficult problems requiring specialized knowledge, fewer and fewer people have that compared to the answers that novices need ... cheers, drl
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by drl
    Hi.

It's also a pyramid: for difficult problems requiring specialized knowledge, fewer and fewer people have that compared to the answers that novices need ... cheers, drl
    It also depends upon the time requirement of the person providing the information and the relative grasp of the audience. I tend to reply readily to the easier questions and avoid the more complex due primarily to the perceived ability of the person asking the question. Call me lazy, but that is my method of approaching this and other forums. I use the forums primarily for entertainment rather than a job and I am sure that I'm not alone.

Case in point, a thread started earlier in the week was a relatively simple thread; however, the original poster would not listen to the many suggestions provided. I'm sorry, but if you already "know the answer" then why ask the question? Needless to say, the thread died and the issue went unresolved.