Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
this was a sad story to hear. he was a great spokesman for conservation and all things animal. he wasnt exactly the only one who went to those lengths but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

this was a sad story to hear. he was a great spokesman for conservation and all things animal. he wasnt exactly the only one who went to those lengths but he was the most fun to watch.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

It's big news here in Australia.

When it was announced that he had died (on the net, though news sites) our teacher in our class showed us all the article, and it spread through the school like wildfire.

That was just before the end of school, so naturally everybody knew about it by days' end.

This WILL go down as one of the biggest news stories of the year, at least in Australia.

For me personally, I never saw him live. I only ever saw him on TV. But it will be a big loss to the field that Steve worked in.

It was just so quick & sudden. Everything's going to be very different now that he is dead.

weed
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

It's certainly a great shock. Wonder if he will have a state funeral?
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by zba78
    It's certainly a great shock. Wonder if he will have a state funeral?
    It's funny how a tv personality is getting so much acclaim following his death. I don't watch much tv anymore, but I was well aware of him. I think perhaps planet Earth needs more people like him, given the environmental problems we have. I would love someone like that as a friend! I don't meet people with that kind of enthusiasm very often.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Linux Newbie
    It should be obvious to anyone that this man truely loved what he did, arguably more than what was good for him, but we are all guilty of much stupider things for far lesser causes. I will not remember Steve Irwin as a celebrity and the great showman that he was. I consider Steve's job no more dangerous than motocross, NASCAR, etc. whose ulterior motive is money. This may sound awfull but, except for his young age, what better death could he ask for?
    I will remember Steve Irwin as a man on a mission. All the money he made on his documentary and his movie, Steve and his wife donated to conservation. Such selfless and devoted men are hard to come by. For years to come we will see his antics on TV. When my children are born, they will see a man who wrestles crocs, picks up snakes and lassos ostriches. But I will remember a man who lived his life to the fullest, doing what he loved and, more importantly, doing something that he thought was extremely important, and he died doing that, which is more than many of us can ever hope for.

Quote Originally Posted by jonantice
    It should be obvious to anyone that this man truely loved what he did, arguably more than what was good for him, but we are all guilty of much stupider things for far lesser causes. I will not remember Steve Irwin as a celebrity and the great showman that he was. I consider Steve's job no more dangerous than motocross, NASCAR, etc. whose ulterior motive is money. This may sound awfull but, except for his young age, what better death could he ask for?
    I will remember Steve Irwin as a man on a mission. All the money he made on his documentary and his movie, Steve and his wife donated to conservation. Such selfless and devoted men are hard to come by. For years to come we will see his antics on TV. When my children are born, they will see a man who wrestles crocs, picks up snakes and lassos ostriches. But I will remember a man who lived his life to the fullest, doing what he loved and, more importantly, doing something that he thought was extremely important, and he died doing that, which is more than many of us can ever hope for.
    Well said jonantice! Someone once told me, 'Death doesn't wear creaky boots' which I suppose means it usually arrives without warning. Maybe his kids will pick up where he left off?
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Dunno, never liked him - far too much "showman" for my tastes - I felt being in the public eye was more important to him than anything else, including the environment. Too much Jerry Springer, not enough serious research. Still a nasty way to go, too bad about that, but honestly I'm not surprised - he's just one of those types that lived on adrenaline and was constantly putting himself in harm's way. I don't doubt he rehearsed and prepared, but the sorts of things he was doing meant a large luck factor. No matter how much experience you have, sometimes luck just runs out.

DT

Ironic... His line of work was mostly related to crocodiles (sp?) and he died attacked by a fish...

Sheshhh... Reminds me of a friend's grandfather:

"He died because of his age: 97..."
    "In bed?" I asked
    "No, he was chopping a tree and it fell on him"
    "Then he didn't died because of his age!" I said
    "Yes! Because he was too old to run!"
    "Jessica, that sounds like standup material!" I said
    "Well, its the truth..."
    -D-

Registered User # 402675

Quote Originally Posted by daacosta
    Ironic... His line of work was mostly related to crocodiles (sp?) and he died attacked by a fish...

Sheshhh... Reminds me of a friend's grandfather:

"He died because of his age: 97..."
    "In bed?" I asked
    "No, he was chopping a tree and it fell on him"
    "Then he didn't died because of his age!" I said
    "Yes! Because he was too old to run!"
    "Jessica, that sounds like standup material!" I said
    "Well, its the truth..."
    LOL! It's good! What makes it worse is, he was killed by a normally peaceful fish. A little surreal perhaps.

I think it is terrible I really like him. He was funny and was always on talk shows and such. Just think that he did all of these dangerous thinks like wrestle with Crocodiles, and he died by getting stung by a sting ray wich rarley even happens. If you would have known that he was going to die doing his job, wouldnt you think it would be a Crocodile to do it? Not a sting ray.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast