Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
I was shocked and saddened to hear this. He was kind of annoyingly exhuberant all the time, but I suppose there are worse things to be. At least he died ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I was shocked and saddened to hear this. He was kind of annoyingly exhuberant all the time, but I suppose there are worse things to be. At least he died with his boots...er..flippers on, so to speak, doing what he loved. Ironic that a guy who wrestles crocodiles for a living would be done in by a stingray though.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

oz
    forum.guy
    Yeah, who would have ever thought he'd die this way? From what I've read, only 17 people worldwide are known to have been killed by a stingray. This would mean that Steve had a far greater chance of being struck and killed by lightning.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by ozar
    Yeah, who would have ever thought he'd die this way? From what I've read, only 17 people worldwide are known to have been killed by a stingray. This would mean that Steve had a far greater chance of being struck and killed by lightning.
    I've been thinking along similar lines. One theory is that the stingray felt trapped between Steve and his camera man, which triggered an attack. Probably, if he'd been alone he would have been okay ...

Someone I know said 'Well, it was only a matter of time ...' implying that his lifestyle killed him. I don't agree because I lost a good friend in a freak accident a few years ago. These things happen all the time I'm afraid.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by fingal
    Someone I know said 'Well, it was only a matter of time ...' implying that his lifestyle killed him. I don't agree because I lost a good friend in a freak accident a few years ago. These things happen all the time I'm afraid.
    Depends on the implication of that sentence. I agree with your friend that it was only a matter of time before he got screwed. And not because of his lifestyle, but because it was only a matter of time before he screwed with the wrong animal, and he did. I haven't seen the video footable (as most of the world) but I can only imagine what he did to the stingray for it to go in "defence-mode". I live 5 minutes from Sea World, where they have a stingray pool and those are probably the most laid back animals I've ever seen. They don't give a crap what you do to them (as in petting, and even sometime holding their fins). Again, it was only a matter of time before he screwed with the wrong animal.
    "Today you are freer than ever to do what you want, provided you can pay for it!" --Bad Religion

they wont ever release the film. also according to sources to have seen the film every indication is there that proves that between him and the camera guy approaching the stringray it was startled. they are docile but since they are shark food they will defend themselves. but i doubt that he was purposefully aggrivating it. people who have seen the footage say that there were no indications of him aggitating it.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

No question, every last one of us might walk in front of a bus today - freak things can happen to anyone. However, if I spend my day constantly jaywalking on a busy throughfare, I do believe the odds are not in my favour.

It was only a freak accident in that it's unusual. Those that constantly spend time interacting with wildlife, and in this case, irresponsibly IMHO, are jaywalking on thoroughfares. As carlosponti suggests, it might well have been a case of "just screwed up" - they may have startled a wild creature and it was cornered - something he made a living out of doing.

DT

Linux Engineer
    "If there is anything that this horrible tragedy can teach us, it's that a male model's life is a precious, precious commodity. Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features, it doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident."

--Derek Zoolander

He was one cool guy, I used to love watching him. He was the original and there are dozens imitating him (albeit poorly) on all of my documentary channels. It was a few hours before I even believed it, I thought it was a joke. He died doing what he was good at. It's a tribute to him that he is remembered so fondly by all.

If I can make one last point in this thread; I think there were some things about Steve Irwin which were typically Australian. A sense of fun, an almost child-like aura of enthusiasm ... a willingness to travel and to experience other lifestyles and, perhaps, a devil-may-care 'Why the Hell shouldn't I do this?' attitude.

I've met one or two Australians and Kiwis, and - despite the fact that there's supposed to be this huge rivalry between them - most of them have been very warm and kind to this particular 'Pommy'. They love the 'great outdoors', they like traveling and the ones I've met have been very solid and together people.

RIP mate.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    Don't forget there are many heroes in conservation who go about the job quietly in the hope of making a difference. You don't hear about us but we are there, working long hours for inadequate monetary rewards quite often. I wouldn't change my job for anything ( I am a geo-conservation geologist- also working in part in earth science education for key stages 3-4). Yes we do have heroes, but we also work with them as equals and help create the messages that are given. It is very much a team effort carried out by professionals who could earn vastly more money doing other jobs. Sad to see the man go. Give his work a good financial send off in his memory so his death isn't wasted.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast