Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Originally Posted by geese I usually use google, but sometimes altavista. That's good. I think Altavista is a good engine; haven't used it for a while though. I wonder ... ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by geese
    I usually use google, but sometimes altavista.
    That's good. I think Altavista is a good engine; haven't used it for a while though.

I wonder ... Does anyone use Google's more advanced features? It has a lot of search options, plus the ability to be integrated into your browser's toolbar. It's like Google is to the net what Hoovers are to vacuuming. There's more than one brand of vacuum cleaner ... But to Google is to search.

Google has become cool. In the future celebrities will name their children 'Google'. Google Zeta Jones?

BUT - joking aside - how much is this just clever branding? Maybe other search engines are almost as good?
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

well i think google came out with a good engine combined with simplicity. they also came at the right time, so people used google and equated it with search. there's definitely good branding in there, but it's built on a solid reputation. for instance, google never goes down. you can guarantee that google.com will be working, whereas MSN search went down on the first day.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Linux Engineer
    it was down for a bit last night

Okay cool.

I'd like to share with you how I construct an advanced search using Google. Sometimes you can get along with just a few words like: Mars landing. To combine this into an exact match on that phrase you would type, "Mars landing", otherwise you might retrieve something containing the sentence, 'I walked out onto the landing with my telescope, looked through the window and saw Mars.'

Well thought out - and simple - strategies work very well. More complicated ones can fall flat IMHO. If they aren't needed! But sometimes they are, and this is all about that.

So imagine you want to find something about compiling kernels on different distros. Here we have what I call a 'multi-stranded' search. There are three aspects to it:

"different distros" | kernels | compiling

Obviously there are overlaps here. You could just decide to search on 'Kernel' and you'll probably find something about compiling by default. This search is deliberately broad and woolly for demo. purposes.

The trick is, don't search yet! No ... really. Don't do it! First plan your search. Instead:

1. Decide on how many 'strands' there are to your search.
    2. List these strands in columns somewhere.
    3. In each column think of different words for each search term.
    4. Combine the search into a Boolean query.

This technique will nearly always find you stuff that otherwise you would have missed, assuming it's that kind of search! So I might divide things up thusly:

distros | kernels | compiling

But wait a minute! Lots of operating systems have kernels. So I might want to try:

distros | "Linux kernel" | compiling

Great. But now I want some alternative search terms:

distros | distributions | "Linux distros"
    "Linux kernel"
    compiling | compile | compilation | building

Now I'm going to use the OR Boolean feature built into Google, but neatly hidden away behind the scenes. I'm going to combine those search terms into a terrifyingly effective search which will retrieve everything I need. Like so:

distros OR distributions OR "Linux distros" "Linux kernel" compiling OR compile OR compilation OR building

Paste that into Google and go. My top hit was:
    http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/K...ild-HOWTO.html

Now have a go yourself. Over time, you will be able to find anything about anything. This technique can be reapplied to other databases - it's a general principle which Google has cleverly exploited for us. Notice I don't need to type AND between search terms. Google uses 'implied AND' which means that if I type, 'creatures on Mars' it knows I mean creatures AND Mars. It won't like the word 'on' which it will try to throw out.

::EOF::
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by Cabhan
    Sorry, I'm a one search engine man.

If it's a topic, I go straight to Wikipedia, but if it's a problem or procedure, only Google can do for me what I need. It's just the way I am.
    Makes two of us. Though I do use another search engine often, it's because it is language (or rather country) specific, being a slovenian search engine (google does have a slovenian version, but I'm more used to www.najdi.si). I have both in my firefox search bar.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3