Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Hello I wonder if you regularly use a search engine other than Google? I use Google every day, and I've noticed that for many people this is the only one ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Do you use other search engines?

Hello

I wonder if you regularly use a search engine other than Google? I use Google every day, and I've noticed that for many people this is the only one they use ... or even know about?!

I thought about setting this up as a poll, but then I would have to list a whole load of engines ... Didn't wanna!

As for me; I sometimes use Dogpile and/or Ask.com .

Does anyone think, 'Google is my friend, but I have other friends'? Actually, Dogpile is a meta search engine (it searches other search engines simultaneously) so it's not bad at all!
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

I only ever seem to go to Google. If Google cant find it, it aint worth knowin'...

I have used ask.com before, but not for a long while. I occasionally used www.astalavista.com's security search engine, but only for research purposes, you understand.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Sorry, I'm a one search engine man.

If it's a topic, I go straight to Wikipedia, but if it's a problem or procedure, only Google can do for me what I need. It's just the way I am.

The only time I couldn't find what I wanted, I tried a couple of others. They did worse. I think with builtin access to usenet groups, the amazing google pics and other tools, it's really hard to compete with that especially when you're net and computer savvy and know what you're looking for. Even if you don't.

I welcome this thread, since I cherish the day someone told me about this "google" thing they had found, long before it became a verb, and it was an "inside thing" to know about. I'd love to hear some interesting, possibly more speciality-focused sites.

DT

It's true! Google is almost too good and I can find 98% of what I want using it. Having said that, I need the other engines for the remaining 2%. It hardly seems worth it sometimes, but I like a change from time to time.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

What google?

Only kidding. I think google is almost the perfect example of something that looks so simple but yet is so powerful. Even in the days of 56k modems google.co.uk loaded fast.
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

As Cabhan said, I am increasingly using wikipedia (70% wiki, 30% rest), leaving search engines for procedures only. I have stopped using google a few months back, and am now using Clusty/Vivisimo.
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

I've been using Google almost exclusively since I heard one of the founders interviewed on public radio a few years ago. Prior to that I swore by HotBot.

I even use Google to look up the Wikipedia articles I want to see!
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

Google and Wikipedia....

.... casper ....
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

oz
    forum.guy
    I generally Google, but do stray now and then.
    oz

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast