Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25
Hello I wonder if you regularly use a search engine other than Google? I use Google every day, and I've noticed that for many people this is the only one ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Linux Guru fingal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Birmingham - UK
    Posts
    1,539

    Question Do you use other search engines?


    Hello

    I wonder if you regularly use a search engine other than Google? I use Google every day, and I've noticed that for many people this is the only one they use ... or even know about?!

    I thought about setting this up as a poll, but then I would have to list a whole load of engines ... Didn't wanna!

    As for me; I sometimes use Dogpile and/or Ask.com .

    Does anyone think, 'Google is my friend, but I have other friends'? Actually, Dogpile is a meta search engine (it searches other search engines simultaneously) so it's not bad at all!
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

  2. #2
    Super Moderator Roxoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Nottingham, England
    Posts
    3,864
    I only ever seem to go to Google. If Google cant find it, it aint worth knowin'...

    I have used ask.com before, but not for a long while. I occasionally used www.astalavista.com's security search engine, but only for research purposes, you understand.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

  3. #3
    Linux Guru Cabhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Posts
    3,252
    Sorry, I'm a one search engine man.

    If it's a topic, I go straight to Wikipedia, but if it's a problem or procedure, only Google can do for me what I need. It's just the way I am.

  4. #4
    Linux User DThor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Ca..na...daaa....
    Posts
    319
    The only time I couldn't find what I wanted, I tried a couple of others. They did worse. I think with builtin access to usenet groups, the amazing google pics and other tools, it's really hard to compete with that especially when you're net and computer savvy and know what you're looking for. Even if you don't.

    I welcome this thread, since I cherish the day someone told me about this "google" thing they had found, long before it became a verb, and it was an "inside thing" to know about. I'd love to hear some interesting, possibly more speciality-focused sites.

    DT

  5. #5
    Linux Guru fingal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Birmingham - UK
    Posts
    1,539
    It's true! Google is almost too good and I can find 98% of what I want using it. Having said that, I need the other engines for the remaining 2%. It hardly seems worth it sometimes, but I like a change from time to time.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

  6. #6
    Linux User zba78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Birmingham, England
    Posts
    335
    What google?

    Only kidding. I think google is almost the perfect example of something that looks so simple but yet is so powerful. Even in the days of 56k modems google.co.uk loaded fast.
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

  7. #7
    Linux Guru Vergil83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,407
    As Cabhan said, I am increasingly using wikipedia (70% wiki, 30% rest), leaving search engines for procedures only. I have stopped using google a few months back, and am now using Clusty/Vivisimo.
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

  8. #8
    Linux Engineer Zelmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Riverton, UT, USA
    Posts
    1,001
    I've been using Google almost exclusively since I heard one of the founders interviewed on public radio a few years ago. Prior to that I swore by HotBot.

    I even use Google to look up the Wikipedia articles I want to see!
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

  9. #9
    Super Moderator devils casper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Chandigarh, India
    Posts
    24,729
    Google and Wikipedia....




    .... casper ....
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

  10. #10
    oz
    oz is offline
    forum.guy
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    arch linux
    Posts
    18,733
    I generally Google, but do stray now and then.
    oz

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •