Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Haha. Yeah I like Van Halen. I prefer Led Zeppelin and Rory Gallagher though. But yeah, guitar based music! If you don't like hip hop maybe try some old school ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Haha. Yeah I like Van Halen. I prefer Led Zeppelin and Rory Gallagher though. But yeah, guitar based music! If you don't like hip hop maybe try some old school stuff, anything main stream is not worth a damn

I would recommend Public Enemy "Apocalypse 91" and The Beastie Boys "Ill Communication"

You might prefer the Beasties because there's as much guitar as turntable. All this coming from a blues man..
    I like Led Zepplin to, but not as much as Van Halen.Some Led Zepplin songs I like are: Black Dog, Rock and Roll, Stairway to Heaven(obviously) and there are more, but I just cant think of all of them right off the bat.

I don't know too much Van Halen, but I like what I know. I also agree about rap and today's music: it's all so bad. I'm a huge fan of 70s-80s metal (Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Queensr˙che, etc.), but even modern metal is just horrid.
    Well you should try some Van Halen Songs because if you like 70s and 80s metal you would LOVE Van Halen. SOME of the best VH songs are:Panama, Icecream man, Jump, Beautiful Girls, Hot for Teacher, and more. This is a VERY short list. Again there are MUCH more AWSOME Van Halen songs than just this. There arent any Van Halen Songs that I dont like.(by David Lee Roth).

I like Van Halen. For me personally, the guitar is the basis of all the music I enjoy. I'm learning to play an electric guitar at the moment, and just to confuse things ... I'm listening to rap at the moment: it's not my main thing though.

Van Halen - afaik - invented string tapping on the guitar. That's when you use both hands to play notes that you otherwise wouldn't be able to reach. Respect!
    Yeah I think the guitar plays a HUGE roll in music(partially why I hate wrap) and I am also learnin to play guitar. I have been since feb 3 of 2005. And I am familiar with Tapping. I was finished learnin to play Eruption...maybe last month. But of course, I cant play it perfectly, but I am getting there.

Van Halen is the only person that can do it without making me feel sick, it was really overdone after he pioneered it.
    I think that he is best at tapping, And I agree, after him it was overdone. I love the tapping section of Eruption, Easy to play and AWSOME soudning.

I like Van Halen a lot... But then again: I am 36 so you can guess what I have on my hard drive: 80s and more 80s and more 80s...

Speaking of which, I am sick and tired of people of my generation bashing the 80s. It was, in my opinion, the best decade musically speaking. One can only listen to Eruption by Van Halen and listen what was Heavy Metal about... Don't like Metal? Plenty of punk was played then... Don't like punk? Try some soul and even disco! Country was even cool those days!

And the hair styles those days! Man! * Let me check mom's albums and see if I can burn some of my pictures ugh! *
    I hate punk, but not as much as I hate wrap. They dont even have guitar solos. For me, guitar solos are a huge part of music, that is part of why I love Van Halen So much. Eddie Van Halens guitar solos are AWSOME!

Van Halen, with David Lee Roth, is one of the best bands ever... Van Halen with Sammy is about like every other turd that was dropped in the 80s. I'm not saying 80s songs suck, actually I like quite a few bands like Scorpions and a few others, but I also hate with everything I've got Poison, and the others let's-do-whatever-one-else-is-doing bands.
    I COMPLETELY agree(only I think Van Halen with Roth is THE best band ever ) but yeah, Sammy is an Ok singer and everything, but not for Van Halen he isnt. He just isnt David Lee Roth.

Ah, nothing like VH. They've got some good tracks.

Not to mention the other bands I Love: Black Sabbath, Ozzy Osbourne, Iron Maiden, VH (of course). With a bit of Slayer added in the mix.

And some of the new stuff is ok too: As I lay Dying, Trivium, etc.

I love me metal.

weed
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

i guess i will be the first to say this but i was never much a fan of van halen. they were a rock band for the masses. never liked the music. not to say they are not talented but the music just isnt apealing. i like queen, aerosmith and black sabbath much better. did like metallica but they got annoying with the file sharing debate.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Quote Originally Posted by carlosponti
    i guess i will be the first to say this but i was never much a fan of van halen. they were a rock band for the masses. never liked the music. not to say they are not talented but the music just isnt apealing. i like queen, aerosmith and black sabbath much better. did like metallica but they got annoying with the file sharing debate.
    Ozzy Osbourne comes from Birmingham in the UK - as opposed to the one in Alabama celebrated by Lynyrd Skynyrd and Neil Young - which is where I live. Hero of the local rock scene <irony>Birmingham is where he learned to speak so beautifully.</irony>
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

he spoke allright then his accent and word phrasing got so much worse when he was on the show with his family. thats about when they found he had some disease they were treating. he speaks much better now.
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by carlosponti
    he spoke allright then his accent and word phrasing got so much worse when he was on the show with his family. thats about when they found he had some disease they were treating. he speaks much better now.
    I see what you mean. I was thinking more about his swearing; Birmingham people do a lot of that.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

ah yes the swearing one time i remember his wife saying Ozzy use a fork sweetie and him replying "fork off"
    Blog

Well....I guess I cant hold it against you carlosponti. Atleast you were nice about it. Some times people just say.......well nothing I want to repeat.

Linux Enthusiast
    I agree with carlosponti in one thing, Queen is definately one of the greatest bands, too bad Fred Mercury had to get AIDS (I have a few non-PC words about that). Both Aerosmith and Black Sabbath have some good songs but definately not as in your face as Van Halen (again, when I say VH I mean David Lee Roth VH), you just can't help to do a little dance when they play Icecream Man.

Also, people seem to be forgetting that Van Halen created the genre. They did the whole lets-do-it-in-the-corner songs before all those 80s Metal people, they debuted in '78. The first video (which I had on the computer) was a cover or "You Really Got Me Now" from The Troggs. That first LP was pretty much the best album I've ever heard in my life, you can pretty much rock out to every single one of the songs.
    "Today you are freer than ever to do what you want, provided you can pay for it!" --Bad Religion

VH is great!
    2 of my favorite songs by VH are "Runnin with the devil" and "Jamie's crying".
    70's and 80's Rock-n-Roll is the best.

And AC/DC was and still is one of the best.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast