Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Hi. At one time I was keeping far better track of books than I do now. This thread reminded me that I had a list of recommended books. I won't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris

Hi.

At one time I was keeping far better track of books than I do now. This thread reminded me that I had a list of recommended books. I won't describe in detail what these notations mean, but the very best books that were recommended (rated around the time of 1980's - 1990's) scored high based on 4 criteria: Readability, Characterization, Idea Content, and Literary Merit. It was short list. Except for Golding I read them all, and I thought they were worth reading. I had not liked fantasy, so the Crowley was an eye-opener for me. They were:
    Code:
    Bradbury, Ray (1920)
            Fahrenheit 451; 1954; FW:R5C5I5L5; pb.
            Martian Chronicles, The; 1950; UG4, RS, FW:R5C5I5L5, ZB; pb.

Crowley, John (1942)
            Little, Big; 1981; FW:R5C5I5L5.

Farmer, Philip Jose (1918)
            To Your Scattered Bodies Go; 1971; FW:R5C5I5L5, UG3.

Golding, William (Gerold) (1911)
            Inheritors, The; 1955; UG4, FW:R5C5I5L5.
            Darkness Visible; 1979; FW:R5C5I5L5.

Le Guin, Ursula K. (1929)
            Dispossessed, The; 1974; UG4, FW:R5C5I5L5, ZB.
            Left Hand of Darkness, The; 1969; UG4, RS, FW:R5C5I5L5, ZB.

Searched 844 records, with 8 hits.
    I'll follow this up with a list of meta-books, books about sf and fantasy ... cheers, drl
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

drl
    Hi.

Below is a list of my mini-library of reference books about fantasy and sf.

More recent is The Dreams our Stuff is Made of: How Science Fiction Conquered the World, 1998, Thomas M Disch (who apparently lived in the Twin Cities for a time) ... cheers, drl
    Code:
    Reference

Valuable
        Anatomy of Wonder 2nd Edition, N Barron, (unknown), 1981
        Book Buyer's Advisor (1991 edition), The, Bill Ott, Triumph, 1991.
        Encyclopedia of Science Fiction, P Nicholls and J Clute, Granada, 1979.
        Good Reading: A Guide for Serious Readers, Zeiger, et al, Bowker, 1990.
        Guide to the Year's Best Books, 1992 Volume, Bill Ott, Triumph, 1992.
        New Encyclopedia of Science Fiction, The, J Gunn,  Viking, 1988
        Reader's Guide to Science Fiction, A, B Searles, et al, Avon, 1979
        Science Fiction and Fantasy Authors, L Curry, (unknown), 1979
        Science Fiction Source Book, The, D Wingrove, Longman, 1984
        SF Book of Lists, The, M Jakubowski & M Edwards, Berkley, 1983
        Ultimate Guide to Science Fiction, The, D Pringle, Pharos Books, 1990

Avoid
        Illustrated Book of Science Fiction Ideas and Dreans, The , D Kyle, 1977
        International Sf Yearbook, The , C Lester, 1978 [good idea, lunatic system]
        Science Fiction Book, The , F Rotensteiner, 1975.
        Who's Who in Science Fiction, B Ash, 1976
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.

Any Pratchett fans out there? Even after 30+ Discworld books, the new ones are always even better than the one before

Toodle-oo
    Giles
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are powerless. Our greatest fear is Microsoft"
    Registered linux user #391027

drl
    Hi, Giles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Giles
    Any Pratchett fans out there? Even after 30+ Discworld books, the new ones are always even better than the one before
    Yes, and thanks for reminding me to see what he's done recently. I once used a snippet of his in creating an exercise for vi -- the description of the Discworld stack, elephants, turtle, as I recall.

And Prachett reminds me of Robert Sheckley.

As an aside, I use one of the ReaderWare programs to catalog some of my books. Having a lot of books, I obtained a bar code gun. That really increased the speed of the data entry because once the ISBN is known, ReaderWare looks at a few web sites (e.g. Amazon) to get the details of the book into the database ... cheers, drl

Quote Originally Posted by Giles

Toodle-oo
    Giles
    I like his stuff but I can have enough of him. I enjoyed his collaboration with Neil Gaiman on 'Good Omens'. He always makes me laugh though. I remember sitting through a really boring lecture years ago, and the girl next to me slipped me a piece of paper. On it was written:

'May your private parts sprout wings and fly away!'

I think that's Pratchett. I wanted to laugh so badly I nearly died in that classroom.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Ah, Pratchett. I've read a number of his books, and I admittedly got a little tired of him after a while. Good Omens was excellent, though.

Man, this is a gold mine! Now i'm going to be reading so MUCH!!! i can't wait to look into all of these authors!

A well known guy Terry Goodkind is one guy i really liked. For some reason i am not able to get into Middle Earth books lately though. i haven't read any of his books for about five or six years though. i don't know if they've progressed well, his series i mean.

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Recently I read an interesting sci-fi book by Scott Mackay called Orbis. I also liked the Red Dwarf books by Grant Naylor.
    From what i see so far.. looks interesting.
    Running Linux Since 2001
    Registered Linux User #430868 - Since 91206

I remember Terry Goodkind. He's the one with Wizard's First Rule and the Sword of Truth series, right? Or was he Sword of Shannara? If the SoT series, I remember liking it at the time, but I've never gone back to re-read him.

I was going to quote this somewhere else and badly wanted to, so here goes. From 'The Once and Future King' by T. H. White:
    The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something. That's the only thing that never fails. You may grow old and trembling in your anatomies, you may lie awake at night listening to the disorder of your veins, you may miss your only love, you may see the world about you devastated by evil lunatics, or know your honour trampled in the sewers of baser minds.

There is only one thing for it then - to learn. Learn why the world wags and what wags it. That is the only thing which the mind can never exhaust, never alienate, never be tortured by, never fear or distrust, and never dream of regretting. Learning is the only thing for you. Look what a lot of things there are to learn."
    - The Once and Future King, T.H. White
    It comes in a single volume these days, complete with 'The Book of Merlyn' (which I haven't read yet). Well worth reading because it's funny and wise at the same time.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Cabhan
    I remember Terry Goodkind. He's the one with Wizard's First Rule and the Sword of Truth series, right...
    Yes he was. i read three books into the series and liked it a lot but it seemed like it was getting out there. The main character dies and i think the story eventually takes place in the spirit realm or something. It seemed to get a little corny the further into the series it gets. He seems to be pretty well known now so maybe i'm wrong.

i think you could read the first book and feel fulfilled with no need to read more of the series. It had a lot of surprises in it.

...'The Book of Merlyn' (which I haven't read yet). Well worth reading because it's funny and wise at the same time.
    i forgot about that book. It was recommended to me and i always meant to read it. i'm going to have to keep an eye out for it.
    Running Linux Since 2001
    Registered Linux User #430868 - Since 91206

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2