Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: How many distros have you installed on your HD (or, for Knoppix's sake, booted from) and 'checked ou

Voters
239. You may not vote on this poll

15 6.28%

26 10.88%

38 15.90%
  • 4-5

73 30.54%
  • 6-8

87 36.40%
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
Anyhow, RedHat Mandrake Fedora thats somewhere between two and three depending on who you are and what you believe fedora to be =D im not good with any of them, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Anyhow,
    RedHat
    Mandrake
    Fedora

thats somewhere between two and three depending on who you are and what you believe fedora to be =D

im not good with any of them, the most success ive had has been with mandrake so far, but to tell you the truth i hope they kind of start taking all the available mainstream drivers, such as the nvidia chipsets, and the via chipsets, anything thats onboard is really hard to setup without internet connection, and when you have onboard lan that often creates a problem.

Also to tell you the truth i still believe WinXP to be a good operating system, just not worth the money. In fact as a student i simply cannot afford it or its office packages, they expect me to pay over 300 for them bundled, and thats what i make in three weeks... im full time uni, and my wage is 9.50p/h when i work, and if microsoft seriously think they are going to have me go without petrol and food for 3 weeks they can shove it up their ass and die chocking on their bowles. I know most students have the same idea, and many are worse as they have other software such as adobe premier and adobe photoshop that they need to actually afford to buy as part of the course...

Thats why i use my linux box... its not great but i can afford it, and i can do everything with java i need. (just not game as well.. im still working out how to get quake3 running =D)

Oh man i could complain so much about m$ but it wouldnt do me any help...
    /skythra

Slackware.
    Redhat.
    Suse.
    Mandrake.
    Debian.
    Debian Hurd.
    Peanut Linux.
    Trustix Serure Linux.
    Knoppix.
    SkoleLinux.

Yeah, that's the ones I could remeber right now. 10 distro's aint bad

Kriss

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCR
    Mystic_Slayer, have you checked out "Peanut Linux"?

DrCR
    No I didn't try it, why?

Is it that good?
    Computers Are Like Air Conditioners... They\'re both useless with Windows open!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    I've used

Redhat - 8.1,9.0
    Mandrake - don't know what version
    Zipslack
    Slackware - 8.1,9.0,9.1
    College Linx - if yoiur using this you might as well use slackware

Right now I'm currently using slackware.

Which distros does your friends consider junk
    The computer made me do it!! Slackware and SUSE too Gig\'em WHOOOOP!!
    \"God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain amount of tasks, At the rate I\'m going I will never die.\" (I don\'t know)

Peanut Linux
    Mandrake 9.1
    SuSE 8.2
    Knoppix 3.2 & 3.3
    College Linux
    Movix (I can't get it to work though)
    Damn Small Linux

I plan to try Slackware very soon... As soon as I can be bothered to get Grub working! :o
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    Red Hat 9.0
    Knoppix 3.2

Linux Newbie
    I personally have played around with both Mandrake and Redhat. I tend to lean towards Redhat more, but hope to move onto Gentoo or Slackware soon.

I've tried

Redhat 7.2, 8.0 and 9.0

as well as ...

Mandrake 8.2, 9.1 and 9.2

--QD
    Quickdraw returns ... more news at 11!

I like to try all flavors of the rainbow. Running SuSE 10.1 on my laptop, Windows XP on my desktop, and an Mac OS X on my Mac powerbook.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic_Slayer
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCR
    Mystic_Slayer, have you checked out "Peanut Linux"?

DrCR
    No I didn't try it, why?

Is it that good?

Is designed as a small distro, hense its name and is geared towards noobs.

http://www.linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=23
    "Description: Peanut Linux is designed to be a small distribution, a 160 MB download and a 400 MB install size. Its small download size and choice of packages are geared toward making it easy for someone new to Linux to give it a try."

DrCR

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by fingal
    Peanut Linux
    Mandrake 9.1
    SuSE 8.2
    Knoppix 3.2 & 3.3
    College Linux
    Movix (I can't get it to work though)
    Damn Small Linux

I plan to try Slackware very soon... As soon as I can be bothered to get Grub working! :o

How'd you like Peanut Linux?

Also, how'd you like College Linux. A while back, 'bout 6months, I was told it wasn't even worth looking in to.

Thanks!

DrCR

Linux Newbie
    I'm currently running on a:

Asus A7V
    AMD 900MHz T-bird
    512MB CL3
    MSI FX5600-128VTDR
    Voodoo 5 5500 64MB PCI secondary vid
    WD20GB 7200rpm

system. I trying to clear off one of the partitions on the 20GB HD but since it's so small, it's not easy. lol

I think I'll play around with Mandrake 9.2 for a little while. I would like to then install SuSE 9 and then eventually get into Gentoo using some install/setup guides. Fedora...only if I have the time, which I doubt. From what I've seen/heard of RH, they were good 'back in the days' but SuSE 9 and such are superior. Slackware or Debian. I won't be holding my breath 'till I check these out personaly.

At work (Information Technologies) I use mainly XPpro and a little Win2000 and Win98, though I still encounter a little MSDOS and Win95. I really like Win2000 and XP is great...if you have 512MB+ of memory are are running an Intel equ. 2GHz+ processor. lol Fortuantly, my machine is exceeds both aspects and the dual-channel helps as well.

IMHO Apple's OS X.3 (Panther) is the best OS currently out there based on personal experience and reviews, etc. Feel free to disagree.

DrCR

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast