Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I'm your average computer enthusiast. I consider myself a power user and a 'computer nerd' and am proud to say so. Every new release of an OS one of the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

The Nerdy Image: Will It Last?

I'm your average computer enthusiast. I consider myself a power user and a 'computer nerd' and am proud to say so.

Every new release of an OS one of the many goals is to make the interface for user friendly. While many of us Linux users dislike Windows, most would agree that using Linux (at least the first times) is not as easy as using Windows or MacOS. This is one of the reason why schools and most households do not have Linux running on their system. But sooner or later, there will be a point when Linux could be picked up as fast as Windows or the others making it more mainstream.

Call me crazy, but one of the reasons I love computers is because there is no limit as to how much better you can be at using them than others. If anybody can easily be as good at using them as me (or any of us for that matter), there is no reason for me to want to learn more about them. Be a computer nerd is sort like a heritage to me.

My question to you is: Do you think that no matter how much the ease of use of an OS increases, there will be people who excel at using them and be considered a 'computer nerd.'

Linux Guru

Re: The Nerdy Image: Will It Last?

Quote Originally Posted by MrDo
    My question to you is: Do you think that no matter how much the ease of use of an OS increases, there will be people who excel at using them and be considered a 'computer nerd.'
    Of course. that is the distinction between those who build an operating system and those who use it.

Jason

yeah i believe exactly what jason jst said
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Here's another question: Do you think that programming will become popular amongst teens?

Ever since the Personal computer was invented, there have been people who like to program them. Some of them have always been teens (mostly in BASIC in the early days). Nowadays, though they use different languages, but the number hasn't increased incredibly Do you think that more and more will learn untill it becomes popular? I personally think that its going to reamin one of those things mostly learned by computer enthusiasts and nerds and not a very common thing.

flw
    Linux Engineer
    That's kind of like saying will most people tend to become scientists? Although I'm not a programmer it a technical field and attracks technical people to it. I expect no change.

The only changes may be what exact fields do technically minded poeple choose to pursue or ignore generally.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

I hope that teens have better things to do then sit in there room and read books on coding theory, RFC's, write lots of code to practise. And it doesnt make you a nerd because you know something about computers.

Linux Engineer
    i think the difference between someone who knows "everything" about windows and a newbie is not a big as the difference in linux, which is part of the reason i like it, there is a lot more to learn an doesnt get boring.... windoze only takes abotu 2 weeks after each release to learn 95% of the new stuff then u got nothign to do but break it for 5 years till they brign out a new version.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellmasker
    windoze only takes abotu 2 weeks after each release to learn 95% of the new stuff then u got nothign to do but break it for 5 years till they brign out a new version.
    Thats about the life cycle of the Linux kernel it was 6 years between 2.4.x and 2.6.x

i think there will be more teens programming as there is more classes in High Schools teaching programming course but i personally dont think that it will become the popular thing to do. i jst think more kids will know the basics of programming so if they wanted to get more into it they could. jst my 2 cents
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

No matter how much programming is taught, there will always be people who get it and those who don't. Also, there will be those who love it and those who don't. These will be the differences between computer geeks and the rest of society.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast