Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
http://home.clara.net/oldpresident/linux/frontpage.pdf Looks win Windows!! http://os-emulation.net/basiliskII/s...2_on_linux.jpg Looks like Mac!! How come one look more like windows [start-like menu, my computer icon] and the other look like mac??? [CD and Floppy Icons ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Banned
    By my Gat and [modded] PSP listening to Gangsta Rap

Linux is more like Mac?? Like Windows?? Which one?!?!?!

http://home.clara.net/oldpresident/linux/frontpage.pdf Looks win Windows!!

http://os-emulation.net/basiliskII/s...2_on_linux.jpg Looks like Mac!!

How come one look more like windows [start-like menu, my computer icon] and the other look like mac??? [CD and Floppy Icons on desktop, I am aware that "Basilisk II" is running Mac OS, but the actual linuz part looks like Mac too!

I really don't understand what you're asking. Linux is not Windows and Linux is not Mac. In fact, there's an article that explains this quite thoroughly:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...explained.html

Now, Linux can look like any OS, or none of them. Themes and desktop environments are a different animal all together.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    Well I guess it could look like a closet or a forest but that would not do much good, would it? Icons, taskbar, folders and so forth has always (pretty much) been what a GUI is made up of.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Windows and Mac have their fixed looks, an associated look. Linux is all about choice so there is no one specific look fixed for it. As a result people who like the style of the other two OSes can and do customise to these.

from a technical point of view Linux is closer to Mac as they both are Unix like operating systems. The really important thing is to remember that the GUI is the least important factor in determining how alike systems are.

Banned
    If u look at both pics, one looks like mac and one looks like win. I didn’t say they were, they just look like, I know linux is its own OS! Is it just that in these two screenshots, they have different skins. Also does linux run on PC and Mac or just PC?? What type of computer[s] will it run on??

Banned
    PS sorry for double post but I made two messages and it says I have none, also this is my third one now and it still says zero!! What's wrong??

Quote Originally Posted by realg187
    PS sorry for double post but I made two messages and it says I have none, also this is my third one now and it still says zero!! What's wrong??
    Nothing. Posts in the Coffee Lounge don't count toward your post count.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Here's a basic list of supported architectures other than x86.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

Banned
    Oh, I did put this in Misc, so that;s why?? i was worred!!

Quote Originally Posted by realg187
    I didn’t say they were, they just look like, I know linux is its own OS! Is it just that in these two screenshots, they have different skins.
    No. Microsoft Windows has only one program that displays application windows and file browsers: explorer.exe. In order to change its appearance you have to install themes, skins or hacks. This is because the explorer windowing program is built-into the OS itself and cannot be removed or (easily) replaced.

Apple Mac OS X has one windowing application as well called Quartz (if I remember the name correctly).

Linux the OS is separate from the graphical user interface, which is the program that displays application windows and file browsers. You can use one of many different graphical user interfaces (GUIs) on Linux to give it very different and distinct looks. Some GUIs (such as Gnome) resemble the Mac OS, others (such as FVWM95 and KDE) resemble the MS Windows interface. Others (such as Enlightenment, Fluxbox, or TWM) look completely different from anything else.

Also does linux run on PC and Mac or just PC?? What type of computer[s] will it run on??
    Not only will Linux run on X86 PCs (Windows machines), older Macs (PowerPC), the new Macs (Intel Core), and AMD64s, it will also run on Alpha, Sun Sparc, and a host of other platforms that are listed by Zelmo's link.
    Last edited by techieMoe; 11-29-2006 at 04:34 PM.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast