Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Yes, I know this is a Linux forum....but I wanted to ask you all since I know some of you run dual boots. Which do you prefer? I have Win ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Windows 2000 or Windows XP?

Yes, I know this is a Linux forum....but I wanted to ask you all since I know some of you run dual boots. Which do you prefer? I have Win XP Pro installed as my main OS but am considering going down to Win 2000 Pro. What do you all think of them?

Linux Newbie
    I run XP Pro at my home, but at work have Win2000. I am really considering even switching the Win2k PCs to XP Pro. XP Pro is faster, pretty much has same security features, easy to use, and less bugs.
    If you love something, emerge it

Linux Newbie

re:

win2000 definatly win xp drives me nuts!
    Cry out for freedom! Cry out for Linux!

Linux Newbie
    I figured everybody would be pretty much divided on the issue.

On one hand, XP is great and I normally dont have a problem. But I have had a problem installing a certain game which I havent in the past, and this is why I am considering installing Win 2000 instead. I do like XP and there are things that I would have to get used to in Win 2000 so that is a vote for XP.

In the end I will most likely just format and reinstall XP Pro. See if that fixes it.

Linux User
    I would say go with XP, particularly if you were looking at running games. You will not be happy with Win2k. It is not game friendly.

Win2k is primarily a server environment intended for the office Remember that it was originally created a few years back with Win98 (and then ME) intended to be the home OS. Run Win2k if you have some server software that you need to run. For example, MS Sql Server will only run a Developers version in WinXP, not the actual full server version (as in unlimited connections that would be needed to run a business case). Multi processor environment would also be a reason to use Win2k, but for your basic computing needs, WinXP will serve you better.

i recommend xp because i like it better. i have never had a problem with xp but i have 2k
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

flw
    Linux Engineer
    I use xp pro/win2k and linux at work and home/pro and linux at home.

Without details on how you use your system, I could only give a worthless guess. If you post some details on how you use your machine we may be able to give a better answer.

Thanks
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Linux Newbie
    If for gaming, go with XP.

If you need extensice network security and going to need more privacy, go win2k. I have XP Pro and security is still alot like the Win2K PCs i manage. I have also heard that Win2k is less compatable with games being made for more business applications....but thats just what I heard.
    If you love something, emerge it

Quote Originally Posted by logan5
    I would say go with XP, particularly if you were looking at running games. You will not be happy with Win2k. It is not game friendly.
    You say this, i have had NO problems AT ALL with games in Win 2K That's even on the best of games! Personally i prefer Win 2K as u don't do all the setup through Wizards etc, as long as u know what ur doin reasonably well, 2K is Easier to set up!
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Just Joined!
    great but win xp is going to be support alot longer than w2k and we all know how muck windows needs it's monthly patches

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast